Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Power Gear touchpad blows

Does anybody have a clue as to why this may happen? Thought there is supposed to be fuse between controller and pad to protect. Damned if I can find it. 12 volts at green and black (blue and black) at 4 pin. Scratching my head, these pads are expensive. Pad #1401231, 05 Damon intruder. Thanks any help be appreciated.
Laura v is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura v View Post
Does anybody have a clue as to why this may happen? Thought there is supposed to be fuse between controller and pad to protect. Damned if I can find it. 12 volts at green and black (blue and black) at 4 pin. Scratching my head, these pads are expensive. Pad #1401231, 05 Damon intruder. Thanks any help be appreciated.

I'd like to help but need a little more information. Are you talking a light going out? Are you talking logic control for the shifting?
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #3

Well the previous owner replaced touchpad. He said the jacks worked for a bit, than touchpad had no display. So thinking maybe bad pad, I replaced it as well not knowing. Jacks worked for about a week, than same thing....no display, nothing. I've got the 12 volts to it, that's about it. Display does nothing. As long as theres 12 volts there, wouldnt it work?
Laura v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura v View Post
Well the previous owner replaced touchpad. He said the jacks worked for a bit, than touchpad had no display. So thinking maybe bad pad, I replaced it as well not knowing. Jacks worked for about a week, than same thing....no display, nothing. I've got the 12 volts to it, that's about it. Display does nothing. As long as theres 12 volts there, wouldnt it work?

I have a Damon Daybreak, but the Intruder should be about the same if it has the semi automatic jack system. Besides the touch pad on the dash, there is a control box that is located in basement area. Mine is located in the pass though next to my entry door. It will be bolted to the bottom of your motorhome floor, or top of the basement floor. I believe there is a fuse located inside of this box, but don't quote me. But I do know this sends power to the touch pad and then the power must return to this control box to operate the hydraulic pump. I would think this may be your problem, and not the touch pad. I know there is a new model touch pad and control box. They are not interchangeable. I did see somewhere where they sold a wiring adapter to make one fit the other. The old style harness is a square 4 pin connector and the new one is a flat 4 pin connector. I do know there is a fuse in the system, but not sure if it is in the touch pad box or the control box. I will look at some of my old wiring diagrams to see if I can help any further. Good luck, and let us know if you find the problem, it will help others on this forum.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
These are the steps from Power Gear Troubleshooting Guide. I could not find anything about a fuse. I'm sure some one told me there was one inside, but none of my drawings show a fuse in either the touch pad or control box. This should be for your Semi Auto Level System. At least the part number you provided indicate it's a Semi Auto System.

TROUBLESHOOTING TOUCH PAD WILL NOT TURN ON ON/OFF LED DOES NOT LIGHT UP

PROBABLE CAUSE:

Coach ignition not in run position

CORRECTIVE ACTION:

Turn ignition to run position and have engine running.

PROBABLE CAUSE:

Touch pad has been left on for more than four minutes, auto shut off has occurred.

CORRECTIVE ACTION:

Push ON/OFF button until LED is lit on touch pad.

PROBABLE CAUSE:
No voltage at the touchpad.

CORRECTIVE ACTION:
Check harness at the touchpad on the 4 pin connector (see wiring diagram): Check between pin #3 (black power wire) and pin #4 (blue or green ground wire). There should be 10-12 vdc between the pins.

PROBABLE CAUSE:
No voltage out of control box to the touchpad.

CORRECTIVE ACTION:
Check power out of control box at the 4 pin connector (see wiring diagram): Check between pin #3 (black power wire) and pin #4 (blue or green ground wire). There should be 10-12 vdc between the pins.

PROBABLE CAUSE:
No power to control box on ignition input signal.

CORRECTIVE ACTION:
On the control box at the 6 pin connector (see wiring diagram): Check incoming voltage between pin #5 (ignition) and pin #1 (ground) of the 8 pin connector. There should be +12vdc between the pins. If low or no voltage is found, contact the OEM for further troubleshooting.

PROBABLE CAUSE:
Damaged or broken touchpad harness.

CORRECTIVE ACTION:
Check connectors and wires for damage or broken wires. Fix accordingly.
Ground wire disconnected
or shorted at control box
Pin 1 of the 8 pin connector is the main ground. Test from pin 1 to chassis ground, there should be continuity with ground. If none is found, repair or replace ground wire.

PROBABLE CAUSE:
Neutral safety switch wires shorted or broken at control box

CORRECTIVE ACTION:

On the control box at the 6 pin connector (see wiring diagram): Check for voltage at pin #6. If it has +12vdc verify pin #2 at the 6 pin connector also has +12vdc. If pin #2 is ground, ground pin #6. If the control then operates, repair or replace wires or neutral safety switch.

PROBABLE CAUSE:
Parking brake wire not grounded, or faulty parking brake switch.

CORRECTIVE ACTION:
On the control box check for continuity between pin #1 of the 6 pin connector and ground. If there is no continuity, the switch is bad, the parking brake is not set, or the wires to the switch are bad.

PROBABLE CAUSE:
Faulty touch pad.

CORRECTIVE ACTION:
If all previous causes and actions do not apply replace touch pad.

Hope all this helps. Sorry, I could not find a fuse anywhere in my drawing. That is really strange. Looks like the fuse power link is tied in to the other systems. Good luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the above fails, call Dometic (current owner of Power Gear) tech support. When I was having problems, the guy worked through trouble shooting with me. I ran around with a meter and he told me what to check. You'll probably find the control box mounted to the underside of the living area floor (in the basement)... that's where mine was, anyway.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, power gear