RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #1

Replacement Hood Locks - Outlaw

Has anyone found a good replacement for the hood locks on the Damon Outlaw? I have a 2007 and both of mine are completely worn out. The locking mechanism just does not engage anymore. I called Thor and they do still replacements but they are not cheap. They wanted about $50 each for them. I have attached a photo of what the part looks like and here are the part numbers I obtained from Thor:
0244599 - Latch - $42.95
0244597 - Black pull tab - $6.95
The black pull tab should be reusable but the last mechanic that worked on this boogered them all up trying to get it open and pretty much put the final nail in the already suspect locks coffin.

I was optimistic I could replace them with just about any tubular camlock, but I have not had any luck finding one in the correct size. The trouble has been in the length. From end to end, we need about 2.5" of length and most locks even with an offset cam just aren't that long. The unique factor on these is the much longer threaded stud which I have not been able to find an alternative for. I could perhaps buy something off the shelve and weld a stud extension onto it, but I would prefer not to if I don't have to.

Has anyone found a suitable replacement? Surely I am not the only one that has run into this problem?

Thanks,
J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_175_30003_8638606727.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	151833  

jksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #2

They may have changed the design because my 09 Outlaw doesn't have any issues with the hood locks and we drive it in the winter (salted roads). Perhaps they are expensive because they upgraded to stainless?

just4plaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The hood locks are just bin locks like the ones here:
Rv Compartment/Baggage Locks & Latches

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The hood locks are just bin locks like the ones here:
Rv Compartment/Baggage Locks & Latches

Best luck
Yes, standard locks would work just fine if but I have searched high and low for some time now and even inquired with a manufacturer of the RV cam locks and have been unable to find any that are long enough. The locks on the Outlaws hood have an overall length from the base of the lock to the end of the offset cam of about 2.5 inches. We need to gain that length with a combination of the lock and the cam on the end, but that has proved more difficult than I ever expected to find. The unique aspect of the locks used on the outlaw is the extra long threaded stud which appears to be permanently attached. I have considered purchasing a shorter standard lock just welding a threaded stud onto the end.

Perhaps I am overlooking something simple here, but this is where I have landed with this project so far.

j
Old 03-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will take a look at ours this weekend and get back with you
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Checked and found our original locks (hood and doghouse) are from SouthCo:
https://www.southco.com/en-us/pt

Ours have opposite latch rotations (offered) and SouthCo offers many depth options...they even sell the finger pull-tab as an accessory.

Best luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0894.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	153952  
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Ok, I think we are finally on to something. At first, I still couldn't find anything with a long enough stud in the Tubular Key Cam Lock section, but I discovered they are actually called something else.
E3 - VISE ACTIONŽ Compression Latches
https://www.southco.com/en-us/e3?hid=7325&filters=

They also have an online stor (since they normally aren't consumer direct) although there appear to be some errors in the product descriptions.
Vise ActionŽ Compression Latch | Southco

All of that being said, The price for one lock is $25.40 compared to $42.95 from the dealer for OEM part so there are some savings. They do sell the pull tabs as an accessory and I think even more importantly, a flip up cover to protect the lock. I'll report back once I have something in hand and installed.

Thanks for the tip.

J
Old 03-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's great - yes, please report back.

And...feel free to post on the Outlaw Mods and Fixes thread too
OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes

Best luck