RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2011, 04:15 AM   #1

Retractable Step Question

I have a 2004 Escaper. On the inside left of the stairwell there is a panel with switches. One of the switches is an illuminated when on switch marked Step.

When I start the coach the step retracts, when I stop the coach the step extends. So when I park and turn off the ignition the step stays down. I thought that the switch had something to do with retracting the step with the ignition switch off, but it doesn't seem to matter if the switch is On of Off.

Any ideas???

randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On our current Revolution and previous Newmar, the off position of the "Step" button would keep the steps down if the ignition was off and the door opened and closed. Once the ignition was engaged and the door was opened or closed, the steps would retract no matter what position the switch was in...Just a safety feature to avoid ripping the steps off if you drive away with them extended.

Faith

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my Fleetwood Providence, the step normally operates according to the ignition switch, as stated in the post. However, if I want the steps to retract, with the switch off, I flip the step switch on (I know it's on, because the switch lights up). That way, even when the ignition switch is off, the steps will extend when the door opens and retract, when the door closes.

No matter what, if the ignition switch is turned on, the steps will retract, as a safety feature.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #4

step over ride switch

It might be a stepover ride switch. With mh parked and engin off turn this switch on. Then open door, steps should go out, close door and step should stay out. Turn this switch off and do same, with switch off, step should retract every time door is closed. Step should always retract when engin is started.

just an idea
pjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
pjensen describes how it should work accurately.

When the switch is off--not illuminated--I believe the step should stay up when you turn the ignition off. If you stop and the step deploys, can you then throw the switch before you exit or open the door and does it retract? If so then that would be the travel position---the light should be off.

I cannot see any reason for a step to deploy automatically when you stop and turn the ignition off.

My switch is not illuminated and I know sometimes I get confused about which direction it should be thrown----so I just turn off then on until I get the desired result. But it never deploys automatically when I turn the ignition off---I cannot imagine that being built in for any reason. PLay with it some more--if you cannot achieve the above then it is malfunctioning for some reason---maybe a loose wire etc;?

Call the manufacturer and see what they say about normal operation and any cause for this abnormal situation?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Assuming these are KWIKEE steps, with the steps out look up under at the controller box, this is a black plastic box.. Both new and old have 4 sides but the old one was retangular in shap and the new one looks almost like a triangle since one side is very long and one very short (Trapezoid is the proper name)

Now the switch:

Old style it was a power switch, Ignition off, Switch off the steps remained where they are, do not obey the door switch.

Switch on -OR- Ignition on the steps "Follow the door" extending when the door is open.

Now the new style:

The switch is called an "override" switch

Igniton on the steps follow the door. Switch position does not matter.

Ignition off and switch off the steps follow the door.

Ignition off and switch on the first time the door is opened the steps extend, and remain extended.

ON my coach I installed a "Door switch override" this is becuse I found that there are times when I really would rather NOT extend the steps.. It overrides the door switch telling the controller "Door closed" all the time.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I'd sure be interested in how to do the "Door switch override". Sometimes I'm close to a curb and the steps don't have space to go all the way out.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #8

The problem is that the switch doesn't seem to do anything.

If we drive the coach the stairs are in the travel position. When we stop to let the dogs out I leave the engine running (Ignition ON) and Step switch in the OFF (not illuminated) the door the steps extend. When we get to our destination, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and the Step switch is in the OFF position, the steps extend. I have tried opening and closing the door with the switch ON and get the same results.

To make matters worse, I have a switch located in the same area that is a rocker type toggle switch with a center OFF position. I toggle it to one position for USE and to the other for STORE. This switch goes to the BCC.

Seems to me that if all 12 volt power is disconnected when in STORE, the steps wouldn't work, regardless if the switch or steps is operating correctly.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
OK, think of it this way:

Two things the steps should always do, for safety reasons -- extend (if not already out) anytime you open the door, to keep you from falling and hurting yourself, and retract (if not already in) anytime you start the ignition (to keep you from dragging them along a curb or similar).

Other than these functions, when "on," the steps should automatically extend when door open, and retract when door closed. When "off,", the steps should stay out all the time. This is the setting you use when parked at a campground.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
pjensen describes how it should work accurately.

When the switch is off--not illuminated--I believe the step should stay up when you turn the ignition off. If you stop and the step deploys, can you then throw the switch before you exit or open the door and does it retract? If so then that would be the travel position---the light should be off.

I cannot see any reason for a step to deploy automatically when you stop and turn the ignition off.

My switch is not illuminated and I know sometimes I get confused about which direction it should be thrown----so I just turn off then on until I get the desired result. But it never deploys automatically when I turn the ignition off---I cannot imagine that being built in for any reason. PLay with it some more--if you cannot achieve the above then it is malfunctioning for some reason---maybe a loose wire etc;?

Call the manufacturer and see what they say about normal operation and any cause for this abnormal situation?
the steps are desiged to deploy as a safety feature. No matter wheather the switch is on or off. when you drive up and stop, the steps will go out. If you open and close the door with the switch off, after the steps go out the first time nothing happens. If you turn the step switch on, the steps will go in and out as you open and close the door.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to do the door switch override.

Again this depends on if you have an old controller or a new one.. NOTE: at one point there is some danger, STAY CLEAR OF THE STEPS WHEN DOING THIS FIRST PROCEDURE.

1: Locate the wire to the door switch.. On my rig this turned out to be easy. the door switch is normally located in the frame, on the latch side, at the bottom, look for a pair of wires going there.

Have the switch in the position where the steps follow the door.. Door closed.

CUT ONE WIRE.. Then follow 2A or 2B below

2A if the steps now extend, then the door switch follows the door (Closed when door closed) Tie these two wires together and tie a 3rd wire in as well.. Solder or crimp, and insulate well, Strip a bit of the OTHER wire and solder or crimp a 2nd wire on to this, these two added wieres go to the switch, so make them long enough to do that.

Swich OPEN, Door switch controls steps, CLOSED, it does not.

End of 2a.

IF the steps do not move, open the door, if the steps REMAIN retracted, then the door switch is oposite the door (Door open, switch closed)

Extend both cut ends to the switch (Splice on additional wire, insulate well)

Now the switch is normally CLOSED for normal operation, and open for "Steps remain in)

I believe the old style controller is "B" in this set of instructions.. But don't quote me on that one. Been half a decade since I did that mod.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
OK, think of it this way:

Two things the steps should always do, for safety reasons -- extend (if not already out) anytime you open the door, to keep you from falling and hurting yourself, and retract (if not already in) anytime you start the ignition (to keep you from dragging them along a curb or similar).

Other than these functions, when "on," the steps should automatically extend when door open, and retract when door closed. When "off,", the steps should stay out all the time. This is the setting you use when parked at a campground.
I just returned home from picking up out motorhome from the storage facility. When I got home the stairs extended when I opened the door. I turned the switch "on" and closed the door. Nothing happened. I turned the switch "off" and closed the door. Nothing happened.

I guess I have some troubleshooting to do.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
I just returned home from picking up out motorhome from the storage facility. When I got home the stairs extended when I opened the door. I turned the switch "on" and closed the door. Nothing happened. I turned the switch "off" and closed the door. Nothing happened.

I guess I have some troubleshooting to do.
jUST A QUICK REMINDER. IF YOU HAD ALREADY TURNED OFF THE BATTERY DISCONNECT, THE STEPS WOUD NOT WORK.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #14

I had just returned home so the battery disconnect was on.