Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Saber77
Satellite TV Hookup

We just bought a new 2008 Essence and I'm wondering how other owners have connected their satellite TV. I assume that if I use 1 DirecTV box on the main splitter box, that all 3 TVs will be tuned to the same channel that is selected. Has anyone setup DirecTV so that the main TV and bedroom TV can be tuned to different channels using 2 DirecTV boxes? If so, where did you place the bedroom DirecTV box? Would this require additional wiring?

Also, what about setting up digital set-top boxes to view local over-the-air channels?

Thanks.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a video selector and a spare port on it, you can add your sat as select option, example RF (broadcast tv), DVD, or sat. If you don't have a video selector, they are inexpensive and installation is easy. What you are looking for is two output with a minimum of 3 inputs. (Goggle vs-5312, video switch, or avcc530, video center). I hope this helps
jDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The easiest way might be to run a second cable from your roof (I assume) dish directly to the rear Directv box. My KVH dish has 2 sat out connections.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two ways to hook up a Sat receiver, or a Digital converter provided that ALL televisions will be watching the same channel. (There is another if you want different channels)

Method one is if you have the multi-switch box .. Just hook it up pwer the switch box maker's labels (New RG-6 to the Sat Receiver's LNB in, and TV out on the sat receiver to the "SAT" terminal on the switch) Since this is kind of obvious I will assume you have the wall plate

Now the standard Winegard Wall plate is a "Switch or Outlet" plate size plate with a 12 volt outlet (Large round hole) Antenna connector (Small threaded thing) switch (Normally a button) and a light.

LIght on = Rooftop antenna Light off = Park cable input

Winegard and I disagree on how to hook this up, I will give both methods and explain the advantages to my method..

First open the box.. (remove the 2 screws that hold the plate on and pull it out) you should see, in your case 4 coax cables and a 12 volt lead or two (optional ground) If the cables come off the BOTTOM of the circuit board then they should be, in order

Antenna, Cable,, TV2, TV3

We are interested in the CABLE cable

Disconnect this cable, then short the park cable input on the outside of the trailer.. Using a multi-meter in OHMS mode, verify you have the right cable.. You do,,, Good.

Now using a Double Female connector (Barrell connector, you might calle it a joiner) extend this cable to the sat receiver

Winegard says to use this for the LNB in, however I suggest hooking it to TV-ANT-In on the sat receiver if such exists (it should) and running brand new RG-6 from a new connector you add, either in the basement or a through wall (Bulkhead) for the LNB in.. Label it SAT-IN I will explain why.

TV-OUT from the sate receiver goes to the now, free, port on the back of the switch.. Re-close the box

Switch settings and what they mean..

Both Winegard and WA8YXM
Wall plate switch ON, Rooftop ANTENNA
Wall switch plate OFF, Sat Receiver ON: SAT TV

WA8YXM method only:
Wall Switch OFF, Sat Receiver OFF = Park Cable

Advantage WA8YXM method: Additional option plus better signal to Sat Receiver due to lower line loss in the RG-6 as opposed to the lowest bidder 59 used in the coach or trailer.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #5

All Winegard sat. antennas made since 2002 have dual LNB's, thus can handle two seperate satellite receivers, so eah of my TV's is operated as a seperate unit. . From the getgo six years ago, I have had one receiver up front and the other in the bedroom, with a sperate cable coming from the dish to each of the recievers. When DirectV replaced the DVR, with a new model, and I upgraded from a crank up to a antomatic dome antenna, I added a signal spliter to the LNB going to the rear receiver, ran a second cable to the front where teh DVR is, so I can record on one channel while I am watching another
Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #6

help

I have the standard Winegard Wall Plate and want to replace it with a mult-switch box. I boutght the Winegard box, VS5312A, but no matter how I hook it up, the signal drops to 0. Even when I hook if directly to satellite....just the dish, line, switch box and TV. The dish/TV work fine. This is the second switcher I have used, the other one was totally passive. this has a 12volt power so you can take out the wall plate.

How do you introduce the multi switch without the signal drop? How do they do it in the new coaches?

Any suggestions, or help would be appreciated.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are two ways to hook up a Sat receiver, or a Digital converter provided that ALL televisions will be watching the same channel. (There is another if you want different channels)

Method one is if you have the multi-switch box .. Just hook it up pwer the switch box maker's labels (New RG-6 to the Sat Receiver's LNB in, and TV out on the sat receiver to the "SAT" terminal on the switch) Since this is kind of obvious I will assume you have the wall plate

Now the standard Winegard Wall plate is a "Switch or Outlet" plate size plate with a 12 volt outlet (Large round hole) Antenna connector (Small threaded thing) switch (Normally a button) and a light.

LIght on = Rooftop antenna Light off = Park cable input

Winegard and I disagree on how to hook this up, I will give both methods and explain the advantages to my method..

First open the box.. (remove the 2 screws that hold the plate on and pull it out) you should see, in your case 4 coax cables and a 12 volt lead or two (optional ground) If the cables come off the BOTTOM of the circuit board then they should be, in order

Antenna, Cable,, TV2, TV3

We are interested in the CABLE cable

Disconnect this cable, then short the park cable input on the outside of the trailer.. Using a multi-meter in OHMS mode, verify you have the right cable.. You do,,, Good.

Now using a Double Female connector (Barrell connector, you might calle it a joiner) extend this cable to the sat receiver

Winegard says to use this for the LNB in, however I suggest hooking it to TV-ANT-In on the sat receiver if such exists (it should) and running brand new RG-6 from a new connector you add, either in the basement or a through wall (Bulkhead) for the LNB in.. Label it SAT-IN I will explain why.

TV-OUT from the sate receiver goes to the now, free, port on the back of the switch.. Re-close the box

Switch settings and what they mean..

Both Winegard and WA8YXM
Wall plate switch ON, Rooftop ANTENNA
Wall switch plate OFF, Sat Receiver ON: SAT TV

WA8YXM method only:
Wall Switch OFF, Sat Receiver OFF = Park Cable

Advantage WA8YXM method: Additional option plus better signal to Sat Receiver due to lower line loss in the RG-6 as opposed to the lowest bidder 59 used in the coach or trailer.
wrlaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well. the key in all installs is to run a brand new RG-6 coax (And please get QUALITY RG-6 to either the rooftop antenna (SEE NOTE) or a basement or bulkhead connector where you hook up a tripod mount antenna (What most folks call DISH)

That is the key, Do not use any existing cable on the LNB side

Now if you use the multi switch,, Simply hook the cable to teh batwing to the ANT fitting, park cable lead to the PARK CABLE connection, Sat TV-OUT to the SAT, VCR or DVR to the VCR, and so on down the panel.

Please use Quality RG-6

the roof top antenna NOTE

If you have a rooftop dish or dome.. Put a cheap (under fifteen dollars) A/B switch in the LNB line, other than teh bulkhead/basement double female fitting this is the only device you put in the line.

Hook the line from the roof to "A" as in Above
Hook a line to the "B" that goes to the Basement or Bulkhead down Below (Mine goes to the Brake Bell crank Bracket (do you see a preponderance of "B"s on that switch position? )

and of course the single common (Switched) port goes to the LNB IN on the sat receiver.

That way you can quickly switch from Top to Bottom antenna if you are parked under the evil signal eating tree.