Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #1

Schematics of any kind...

My 2002 Damon Intruder's use/store button no longer reacts. It's as though the switch is broken, or the solenoid (which I can normally hear clicking) doesn't work. Because the switch panel has about 10 lbs. of Ready-Foam on the back of it, I didn't want to rip it apart for fear of doing more damage.

So I sent an email to Thor Industries asking for any kind of documentation on electrical work... The answer that came back was pretty short and simple: "I'm told they do not exist".

Does anyone here know if that's true? And if not, where would one find documentation on things like electrical, plumbing, and mechanical items?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
That is a bunch of BS on their part. My motor home is a 1997. I needed an electrical drawing just about two months ago. Called the mfg, they ask me for my serial number and email address. With in an hour I had an email with the drawings that I had ask for.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #3

Interesting. The guy that replied to me was from their "warranty department". At first he said, "I was told they're not available." I wrote back to him asking if that meant they didn't exist, or I'd have to pay for them. That's when he said they didn't exist.

What number did you call? Just the main one on their website?

----
update: I sent a snippet of your account (name and site omitted) to the guy, asking to verify that I'm dealing with the right department. Given what's at stake, I don't want to give up too easily.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: Under the hood, near the brake Master Cylinder (Assumes a Front engine Gasser) is there a box marked "Intelletec Battery Control System"?

IF SO, then open it up ... Inside are several fuses, among other tihngs.. One of them is a 5 amp fuse (in fact a couiple of them are) I can look up the label if you need. But this fuse provides power to the switch.

If it's bad, replace it and see if it blows again straight away.. If so you got a problem (Short) If things now work.. Well, sometimes old fuses fail for the fun of it.

If it's good PULL it.. Then Cycle the switch, 50 to 100 times, both ways.

If you see voltage/light.. Then the solenoid is bad

If you don't you have a broken wire/bad switch/it is a different fuse.

---break---

What good does cycling the switch without the fuse do?

Cleans the contacts.

Now replace the fuse and see if it works.. If so.. Praise John who's had the same problem.. If not.. Well, you got what you paid for (nothing)

After that you need to get down to the nitty gritty. ... At this point a test lamp of a volt meter is very useful.. But let me know if we have it fixed yet.

.. Break...

There are two tabs, and two pads inside this box on the left side (As you face it) one pair is for the Main battery disconnect, one for the AUX (house) and frankly I don't know which is which. Apply test lamp or meter to both the tab and the matching pad YOU WILL Have to hold the pad side probe.. Have someone operate the switch

You should see light no matter which way it's pushed. (On the voltmeter (DIGITAL PLEASE) you will see positive voltage one way and negative the other)
Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #5

Excellent pointers - I will try those with my next trip to the storage lot and will report back. Thanks a ton... KD4HUP...
Old 09-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also Have a Damon 2002 Intruder and the Battery control box does have several Fuses,time delayed and reset able. test the 12 volts out of each with power on and fine the bad one. Damon faxed me a information schematic on that box with my refrigerator stoped working. I had one bad that would not reset,went to auto parts and replaced it. all works fine now
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #7

You guys are great. I was so ready to tear everything apart under the stairs by the switches - it never dawned on me to look under the hood for a blown fuse. Yet, that's all it was. The 5A fuse marked BD relay (I think) was blown. Replaced it, and now the disconnect is working.

One thing I did notice - when I press the switch to the "store" mode, the volt meter goes dark, and everything appears to be disconnected. Yet, the stairs will still extend and retract when I open/close the door.

I mashed the store/use button back and forth about 10 times, and then retried - now the stairs stay put. So I think the contacts in the switch are in fact not completely clean.

A big heartfelt thank you to everyone.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
update: I sent a snippet of your account (name and site omitted) to the guy, asking to verify that I'm dealing with the right department. Given what's at stake, I don't want to give up too easily.
No reply from the guy (Thomas Overton). I found another contacted (in another thread at irv2.com) for a Tony Piwoszkin. Apparently he's been quite helpful with others -so I sent my request for documentation to him.