Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 AM   #1

Want to install a Sirius Radio into our MH.
Currently has a basic pioneer radio
Model#DEH 1800.
Sirius advises installing a universal direct adapter.
Has anyone done it?
Is it very involved?
Do you have to install a new antennae on the roof or can the existing one be used?

Thanks for any replys...
Sue
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 AM   #2

Model#DEH 1800.
Has anyone done it?
Is it very involved?
Do you have to install a new antennae on the roof or can the existing one be used?

Thanks for any replys...
Sue
Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #3

Hi Sue! When you say antenna, do you mean the one that came with the radio or one that was used with a sattelite reciever?

Chan

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #4

Sue, you can read a previous post about sattelite radio here..XM or Sirius radio install

Wife, Dee
Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #5

Thanks Chandler for the info.
I know what you mean about never wanting it...
I never wanted to get a microwave 20 years ago either...nor 50 inch plasma that hangs on my Family room wall.....nor a 39' Class A motorhome!!(husbands dream)
But ...I love it all!!
But I absolutely REFUSE to get an ipod.

Sue
Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #6

LOL! Sure, Sue. I'll check back with you next year when you have one hooked up to your stereo system!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 PM   #7

Sumar,

I did a similar upgrade to my 2007 Damon 376. This was one of the easiest and most cost effective upgrades we have done to our new coach.

We very much enjoy Sirius satellite radio. I have Sirius in my home, in all our automobiles, in my office, and in my motorhome. I highly recommend it - it's music streams are commercial free.

Here are some tips:

1. Yes, you need a completely new antenna. All satellite radio operates at a different frequency band than traditional AM or FM radio. Satellite radio operates in the S-band. The antennas are very small squares, extremely similar to an external GPS antenna. You have some choices to your antenna placement: You can penetrate your roof and install the antenna there; or you can leave the antenna on the extreme front of your dashboard. I've done the latter. It is not as good as installing the antenna on the roof, and results in lost reception a few times during the day. However until I get up the nerves to drill into my new roof, I will deal with the infrequent interruptions in music.

Second tip is the receiver... Yes, I highly recommend you follow Sirius' recommendation. Don't get those cheesy Sirius receivers that receive the satellite radio and then transmit on FM so that you can use your existing radio. My Damon coach came with a basic Pioneer radio. I simply purchased the "next step up" in Pioneer, one that accepted the Sirius satellite accessory tuner. Since I did not change radio brands, I did not have to splice or rewire anything! Simply unplug and remove the factory-provided radio, and insert and plug in the replacement Pioneer radio. I even kept the factory radio in case I ever traded in the coach, so I could switch back. I could probably make the switch in about 20 to 30 minutes.

I just looked and Crutchfield sells a Pioneer with Sirius compatibility (and even a front aux jack in case you ever want to use an iPOD) for $130. You must add the actual Sirius satellite tuner, which is another $120. However consider this- the $130 new radio is probably a lot cheaper than paying someone to splice and rewire your coach's radio electrical system. A lot less risky as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck.
Mark
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 AM   #8

Thanks Mark.
You really made it sound pretty easy.
We hate to drill a new antannae hole in the roof too.
Sue
Old 04-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #9

The front cap of my coach is fiberglass. completely transparent to the radio waves. I put my antenna puck up there on a little steel plate that I screwed into some of the wood above the "TV Hole" works great with no fade and NO holes in the roof.Steel plate was required for the magnet mount to stick to but, 3M make a heavy duty double sided tape that would probably work just fine. Ran the wire down the side post to under the dash. I'll post some pics of all my mods soon. Just waiting on the circular device (The Roundtuit) .

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #10

Thanks Matt, Another option...if you pull the tv out, look left or right and you'll see the cabinets that flank it. They are boxes with flat tops. I stuck my antenna on top of the drivers side cabinet. Two pieces of velcro and I was done. Works great too!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 AM   #11

thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful.
Sue
Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sumar:
Model#DEH 1800.
Has anyone done it?
Is it very involved?

Thanks for any replys...
Sue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sumar,

I guess that is where my age and former occupation comes into play. I have always loved to tune in the locals to get a flavor of the countryside I was travelin through.

I retired from manufacturing engines, very noisy place and with my hearing I can't tell much difference at least as far as the monthly charge is concerned.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #13

FWIW,another great way to have music is this: we bought two of the red ones, and with a 1 gb usb thumb drive, replaced a CD changer and 50 cds. They work great. 2 gb drive will hold about 100 CDs.

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx...%20transmitter

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6405

This company has hundreds of other neat gadgets,all postpaid.

(2nd one, 1st was a 2000 - FORDFORDFORD)
obbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #14

Sumar,

We have a 2008 Astoria 3776, don't be misled that putting a hole the size of a dime in the roof of your coach is a big deal. If you have looked you have several large holes in your roof, i.e. vents, skylights, vent tubes, etc. I purchased a fantastic unit that does everything, Navigation, Tire Pressure Monitoring, Engine & trans info, trip computers, CD player, USB port, Satellite Radio and YES an iPod jack, for less than what it costs to purchase all the components separately and super professional. Plus an additional monitor next to the passenger seat to allow the spouse to run the Navigation while we drive. She can even wathc movies from the iPod!
Check out this website: RVnavigation.com

Installing the Satellite antenna required simply removing the side panel next to the windshield and phishing the wire down behind the dash (circuit city, best buy or and stereo shop can do it for you) you will get much better reception than laying it on your dash and a clean installation (no wires hanging around). After the antenna is on the roof, you can seal it with the same product they use from the factory to seal you skylights. It's a white roof epoxy sold at most RV stores. Plus in our particular coaches, the roof section above the windshield is actually separate from the roof section. That is where my hole was drilled (in the nose piece section just to the right of the existing AM/FM antenna)

Feel free to email me if you need any extra help, I'd be more than happy to share any info with you, or if you desire pictures of my coach.

Regards,

Richard