RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #1

Slide out problem

I have a 2008 Tuscany that I just bought that has five slide outs. The first time out all the slides worked fine except for one seemed to be slow to start and I had to push the button a time or two to get it to go out. Now that slide and one other will not work. They make a clicking sound when I push the button but will not move at all. I called Damon and they said there is a potentiometer behind the fascia board on each slide that needs adjusting. They said I have to pry off the fascia to do this, but that is a little scary because that seems like an odd thing to do. The corner piece is loose at the corner where they said to do it whereas it is not loose at the other end, but it is tight enough that it will take a lot of pressure to get it off. Has anyone had such a problem and does this sound right? You'd think the factory guys would know.

jyoung532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sounds like LOW batteries

however if the fascia needs to be removed it does not PRY off
mine has three wooden plugs at the top, these pop out with a strong thumbnail
then there are three screws that come off, then the front board will come off, revealing another board and three more screws to remove which will reveal the GUTS and motors

FWIW my two slides that are FLUSH floor start slow to come in as they must ride up a ramp to start their way in. then they go pretty quick
the other four come in FAST with no delay
I will say also the two flush floor ones pull any where from 30-40 amps when they first get going then drops to 5-8.

but the batteries take a beating with 6 slides.

hope this helps

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Are they the Norco cable slideouts? If so, the top fascia area is usually where the motor and control boards are at. Usually there are screws to be removed and my be covered by wood or fabric plugs or covers. Is the coach still in warranty? I believe the Norco slideout has 2 or 3 year warranty. Let us know a little more detail of take and post some photos if you can.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
sounds like LOW batteries

however if the fascia needs to be removed it does not PRY off
mine has three wooden plugs at the top, these pop out with a strong thumbnail
then there are three screws that come off, then the front board will come off, revealing another board and three more screws to remove which will reveal the GUTS and motors

FWIW my two slides that are FLUSH floor start slow to come in as they must ride up a ramp to start their way in. then they go pretty quick
the other four come in FAST with no delay
I will say also the two flush floor ones pull any where from 30-40 amps when they first get going then drops to 5-8.

Are you talking about the fascia around the slide out itself or the fascia that is attached to the body of the motor home? I looked very close to mine and the fascia around the slide out does not have any screws

but the batteries take a beating with 6 slides.

hope this helps
Are you talking about the fascia around the slide out itself or the fascia that is attached to the motor home itself? I double checked the fascia around the slide and it has no plugs or screws and it appears to be loose at one end so that it could be pried off. The only thing is after giving it a good look I don't know how there could be anything behind the fascia on the slide out except a backing board. There are the wooden plugs you refer to on the fascia that is attached at the top of the coach itself, but with the slides in like mine are you can not reach these areas to take the fascia off. It does look more like a place where the motor etc. would be though I am just not sure how you get to it.

I had the batteries replaced because I did have one that was bad and it did no good at all plus I either ran the generator or had the shore power hooked up and still nothing. On two or three occasions the middle slide on the passenger side moved a fraction of an inch and then stopped and then when I reversed it it moved back.

I don't know if I mentioned that these slide worked fine until I took it out this time. Luckily these two slides being in did not cause too much of a problem.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Are they the Norco cable slideouts? If so, the top fascia area is usually where the motor and control boards are at. Usually there are screws to be removed and my be covered by wood or fabric plugs or covers. Is the coach still in warranty? I believe the Norco slideout has 2 or 3 year warranty. Let us know a little more detail of take and post some photos if you can.
I have two areas of fascia. One around the slide out itself where the Damon tech told me to take off, but after getting on a chair and looking behindit there is no place for a motor to be. I even called him back and her verified that this is where he is talking about.

There is another fascia area like you describe on the main part of the coach which makes more sense that that is where the mechanical things are, but on one slide you can't reach it because of the depth of the slide out when it is pulled in, which it is.

I bought this coach from a bank I was told there is no warranty.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 AM   #6

I forgot to say I am not sure of the brand, but they are cable slide outs.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 AM   #7

On second thought I did see LCI on the slide out controller that is mounted on the frame.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung532 View Post
On second thought I did see LCI on the slide out controller that is mounted on the frame.
lippert is the maker, they have a webiste at Lippert Components, Inc

i meant to say the top fascia boards, thats where all the GUT are.
and if the slides are in, yep its a 18-24" reach sorry

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #9

I had trouble with all 3 of my slides(fleetwood)turned out to be the connectors where they plug into the boards.The pins pulled out and I had to re-solder them.ldsord