Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I just bought my first RV, A 2008 Challenger 371. The salesman mentioned that my slide outs operate via a new Cable system instead of the old hydaulic system. When I hear "new System" I get concerned. Is this really a new slide mechanism? Has anyone had any problems or maintenance issues with cable operated slides?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I just bought my first RV, A 2008 Challenger 371. The salesman mentioned that my slide outs operate via a new Cable system instead of the old hydaulic system. When I hear "new System" I get concerned. Is this really a new slide mechanism? Has anyone had any problems or maintenance issues with cable operated slides?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
I was apprehensive as well when we go the new Essence and it had cable slides. The previous coach had HWH hydraulic slides. The rear slide would leak and it would come out a few inches. Nothing I could not deal with, but just aggravating. Now the Damon has these cable operated slides. I am not sure how one would get the slide in if the motor failed or the cable broke. The jury is still out on whether or not we like the cable system.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #4

Bruce, I also was concerned about getting the slide in if a cable should fail. This past summer we were coming back from Alaska and one of the top cables broke, I was able to pull the slide in and didn't put it back out until I was ready to replace the cable. Makes it difficult to use the draws in the bedroom but was able to get it home. Damon wouldn't sell me the cable so I had to carry it to a dealer rep. for replacement. I'm not impressed with the system but it's working now.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #5

We bought a new 2007 Challenger 377 last fall. When we picked it up the two cable slides would only move 2 inches either direction each time the switch pressed. Turns out it was an adjustment on the circuit board by the motor in the overhead vallance. Since proper adjustment we have had no further problems.

2007 Toyota Yaris TOAD
Admiral0647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all for the replies,
There isn't much info in the Damon owners manual but I think the slides are made by LCI.
If they are LCI, Their site has pdf documents about the operation of the slide type's they offer. I'm out of town but I hope to figure out if one of the files applies to my slides as soon as I get back.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #7

J have a n 06 Damon Daybreak with a cable slide. When I push the button nothing happens. If I start the coach then shut it down it opens. I was wondering how to push it in if it doea not go in one time. Anyone know what is possibly wrong?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:14 AM   #8

My slide in my 2007 Challenger 376 is made by BAL. It came with a flexible shaft that can be driven with a power drill. If you take down the header above the slide you will see the motor where the flex shaft can be attached. You can then use the drill to move the slide.

While I am happy with my slide now, I had some problems to start. See my post here.

Enjoy your new Challenger!

Sage
Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Sage,
Thanks for the info. I found out that my slides are BAL AccuSlide's as well.
Have you taken off the boxes above the slide where the motor is? I started to pull on the box cover but it looks like it's a nailed together box. Any trick to getting the box off?
Thanks
Bruce W

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SageCrispin:
My slide in my 2007 Challenger 376 is made by BAL. It came with a flexible shaft that can be driven with a power drill. If you take down the header above the slide you will see the motor where the flex shaft can be attached. You can then use the drill to move the slide.

While I am happy with my slide now, I had some problems to start. See my post here.

Enjoy your new Challenger!

Sage </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Well, I hope with your newer rigs they have done a 'proper' job with the 'rf' connections. On my older Damon Daybreak, the 'factory' made connections looked like they were done with a pair of needle nose pliers. The previous owner complained that his TV was intermittent from day one, and factory never fixed it correctly. I had to replace and re-run the coax totally when I put in the new DTV system.

cheers.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #11

The panels (boxes?) above my closet are held in place with screws. There are things that look like buttons, that are just cloth covered plastic things. They pop off by a screw driver or good tough finger nails. Beneath them are the standard wood screws inside a snap affair to hold on the pretty buttons. Take out the screws, the panels fall on your head, and the mechanism is revealed.

If yours are really nailed on, I'd pry them off, pound out the nails, and replace the panels with some sort of decorative screw or old fashioned turn buckle or something. I'm sure the day will come when you need to get in there.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The cable system may be "new" to the sales idiot but to those of us who have been around a while it's.. Well.. Older than we are.

And I'm 57

My Intruder is a 2005 I have 3 slides. one is rack & pinion and is giving me issues

The other two are cable cars and work just fine.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the reply John,
I now realize that although he was a nice enough guy, my salesman had the ability to come up with a lot of mis-information. Being new to RVing we sucked it all up. So far my 2 short slides are working OK but my large slide "hangs" for a second about half way in. This may be normal but I'm going to have the dealer check it.
Bruce

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John-D:
The cable system may be "new" to the sales idiot but to those of us who have been around a while it's.. Well.. Older than we are.

And I'm 57

My Intruder is a 2005 I have 3 slides. one is rack & pinion and is giving me issues

The other two are cable cars and work just fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"New Cable System"

You need an old salesman.. My 2005 has cables on 2 slides (Rack and pinion on the main slide)

The "new cable system" has been around longer than RV's have been manufactured in fact. It is old, proven technology and though yes, it can fail (Any cable can fail) odds are it will give you many years of trouble free service if you do what the owner's manual tells you to do.