Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

Storage. Bay Door Removal

The latch on my generator compartment has become detached due to over-tightening in the past. It's very wallowed out where the retaining screws go in. I'd like to repair it properly if I'm going to tear into it. Anyone have knowledge about how to remove the entire door before I do it improperly? Like to not have to work on it upside down.

2003 Damon Daybreak 2910
bvaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
storage door removable

I have a 2005 Damon 3272w. Should be same doors and latches. If you look at top of door you will see hinge is full length and is part of trim molding. Could be a problem. I have had issues with my latches and came up with a fix. Is yours a one piece latch or two, connected by cable. If you can post pics i might be able help you.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. It does have the full length hinge. I agree with the problem may be tough! I'm quite handy with the tools and repairs and didn't see any way to remove the hinge. Anyway, I repaired the lock to make it functional again, but not like I would have preferred. It does have the wire pull latches.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can not be positive, without a picture, but I believe your doors are made to slide off the end of the mount rail. To remove the door, you have to go to the closest non opening fixture. That will be a wheel well or the end of the hinge rail. you remove that piece. Next you remove the keeper that stops the door from getting out of line. Then you slide the door off the end of the rail. Many times you may have to remove one or two doors to get to the one you need to repair.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #5

Thanks again for the reply. It's in storage for now, but I will look at it when it warms up a bit here. I got it functional, but it aggravated me not being able to figure out how it came off. Your explanation makes sense and I'll look and see if I see the keeper and a cover.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
On my doors the two screws that held latch portion in place were pulling out. I made up aluminum plates 4x4x1/8, used fatter screws to hold plates on then used sheet metal screws to hold latches on. The striker on the bottom frame can be adjusted as needed. I am trying to find exact same latches p---poor as they are to add more storage. There two panels that are hinged but no compartment behind and full length under slide.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #7

Would love to know what you figure out. I own a '96 Daybreak and I have a hole in my far rear door and one side of the hinge is inserted into the trim piece and there is a screw screwed into the trim piece that stops the door from moving. the problem is that in order to slide the door out of the trim I would have to remove the rear-end trim that goes around the entire back end of the coach, what a PIA.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take your RV to a Collision RV Repair facility and get a free estimate along with an explaination of what they must do to correct the problem. Their is the quick fix an the right way to do the job. That should give you the direction and knowledge your looking for.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, removal, storage