Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
stumper

On my dash radio touch screen unit, if you select radio it only plays through the front set of speakers

if you load a DVD it plays like we are at the theater, GREAT all speakers work and the sub woofer puts in some base

if you turn off the dash unit and switch the winegard switch box to satellite then the only speakers that work are the ones on the Television

on my last rv you could select aux input on the radio dvd unit and it would play stereo sound through all the speakers, even if you were watching satelite feed

sooooo
what am i doing wrong

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Depends on your radio, and how it is wired. I have a similar problem with mine and the blue tooth. I think mine just needs another set of speakers. According to the wiring there are speaker wires for the 5.1 surround and then there is a set for what appears to be regular car stereo speakers. I haven't pulled the radio out yet but will. This may be a startng point for and hope it helps. My radio is a Jensen VM9022

roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Good question. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. We want to be able to watch the rear camera while we listen to the radio or CD. Can't figure out how to accomplish. Tech said it was not possible to do this. I thnk it should be possible. When I turn on the turn signal, it will switch from GPS of radio to the side camera(s).

I presume you have the Jensen, GPS, radio, CD, DVD and rear/side camera unit like ours? 08 Essence
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Good question. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. We want to be able to watch the rear camera while we listen to the radio or CD. Can't figure out how to accomplish. Tech said it was not possible to do this. I thnk it should be possible. When I turn on the turn signal, it will switch from GPS of radio to the side camera(s).

I presume you have the Jensen, GPS, radio, CD, DVD and rear/side camera unit like ours? 08 Essence

ah there is a way to remove the microphone input, i received a wiring diagram today..and was advised it could be disconnected if wanted..i removed half of my dash today to find the camera switching unit, traced the correct wire to the stereo (orange), short story
i disconnected the audio OUT from the camera unit and guess what, when i turned the stereo on and actuated a turn signal i didn't get the earful of NOISE from outside, what i did get was an earful of hmmmmmmmmm static
so tomorrow i am going to disconnect the feed from the camera out back, it seems the radio is still looking for the audio input to see if it will go away, or maybe put a filtered switch in place to maybe turn on the microphone when we are parking and i need to hear the wife unit

moving forward
i did seal a few air holes and put a real water seal around the forward bcc bay
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 17-11-1489.pdf (482.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #5

"most" of the radio/GPS/CD/DVD players that are being installed in today's Motorcoaches are actually for SUV type vehicles at best. They are not really designed for the RV industry, hence why the different wiring going on with audio and video inputs (trying to adapt to components the were not intended to connect to). That is why we installed this system http://www.rvnavigation.com You may end up selling some of your existing components on eBay, but this one actually "works", and incorporates Garmin Street Pilot GPS along with Tire Pressure Monitoring on all the wheels of the coach plus the toad. It also plugs into the "BUS" electronics to monitor engine, water, trans temps along with many more items that will actually send an alarm on the screen when items become out of range. Does it cost a couple of bucks? Yes, but remember the seven "P's" .... prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARS View Post
"most" of the radio/GPS/CD/DVD players that are being installed in today's Motorcoaches are actually for SUV type vehicles at best. They are not really designed for the RV industry, hence why the different wiring going on with audio and video inputs (trying to adapt to components the were not intended to connect to). That is why we installed this system http://www.rvnavigation.com You may end up selling some of your existing components on eBay, but this one actually "works", and incorporates Garmin Street Pilot GPS along with Tire Pressure Monitoring on all the wheels of the coach plus the toad. It also plugs into the "BUS" electronics to monitor engine, water, trans temps along with many more items that will actually send an alarm on the screen when items become out of range. Does it cost a couple of bucks? Yes, but remember the seven "P's" .... prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance.
THANK YOU,
i will look at this item
Old 05-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On my VM9022 Jensen I do not get any noises when the cameras are activated. If my radio is playing then it continues to play, I do not get outside noise.
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My complaint is that the dash radio plays through the house speakers. And thus is hard to hear since those speakers are behind a wall from where I'm sitting

The assumption (You do recall how to remember the spelling of assume right -u-) is that you use the dash radio when sitting in the driver's seat. thus you don't NEED the back speakers... Right
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Oh, I'm NOT alone

Ran across this old thread and am so glad to know I'm not the only one with questions about the dash / Hula Hut interface to the rest of the interior. My unit (Damon Outlaw) had several dash radio related issues that cropped up during the first week. 1st, the unit would only work when the key was in the ACC position (that was fixed with simply switching to a power "on" pole on the ignition), the second was more detailed. The amp (mounted on the side wall on the left in the footwell) would become so hot that it would cut off power to the main dash unit - not to mention burning the heck out of my ankle when I brushed against it - that I really worried about an electrical fire. The dealer took a look at it, but couldn't replicate the problem. So, until we (or I) can figure that one out, I've kept using the dash unit to a minimum. Next, the sub woofer was set so that the bass rattled the walls even at low volume to the point that I suspect it must have been installed and tuned by a low-rider wanna be. Took me forever to find the proper balance using a combination of the amp buttons and in-dash controls. Finally, I still have NOT firgured out how to make the in dash / theater system interface work. This was an attractive selling point on the unit, so short of pulling the unit and tracing all the wiring, I'm just ignoring it for now. Somehow I suspect I'm going to find that there is no wiring to the dash unit and will have to start this one from scratch. My, hopefully last, observation is that this all appears to be focused on the in-dash unit. I - and from what I can see on the thread - the rest of you - are not having any problems with the rear / outside unit mounted in the rear (garage) area. That unit works just fine, has proper balance, and with the exception of the warranty related, multiple replacement, of the outside controller, works the way it was intended. I can see this is one of those things that is going to take a while to fine tune!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARS View Post
We installed this system and are really pleased with it. It was pricey but OEM kept telling us there were no updates for the Jensen unit which made the decision easy. It came with color cameras which add some clarity. We added the additional monitor on the passenger side and with the remote control my roommate can set the GPS, etc, etc. I really like the tire pressure sensing system that is included. All in all a nice upgrade from the Jensen.