Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2016, 05:38 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Thor factory service

I have a problem with the rear driver side slide. (bedroom and lavatory area) This past spring when we were returning from S Dakota and came through the St Louis area (to avoid some bad roads in Illinois) we hit some areas that were much worse than what we were trying to avoid. The cable system that moves the slide got tangled from the bad bounce (apparently) and would not move. When we got back to Georgia, but after much research and looking we discovered one of the cables had disconnected from the point it attaches to the slide wall. Further exam showed there was only two screws holding the bracket to the wall, where there should have been 4 (possibly six if you count the holes in the bracket.) The thing is still out of adjustment so I have decided to take it to the builder in Elkhart for a repair. This was the best and quickest solution I found when we had the Itasca several years ago.
Anyway to shorten a long story - Have any of you been to the Thor factory service/repair? (The last time I had the coach at the selling dealer, they kept it nearly two months replacing a radio/backup camera) Were the Thor people competent and able to get the job done correctly and in a timely manner? I don't want to have to make follow-up trips of over 1400 miles round trip. My son and I will do this trip marathon style if we can get in to get the repair made.
Looking at Google Earth Street View there does not seem to be much around the shop in the way of restaurants and food services etc. We intend to make a quick trip there and return without a towed. If we overnight, we will sleep in the coach.
Please give me your thoughts, ideas, comments and suggestions for alternatives. (I know it is likely going to be very cold there compared to the Sunny South.)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Haven't been there ourselves, but have read here nothing but good things.

Appointments are required, they have a large yard (it's on Ward St. in Wakarusa), it's next door to the Horizon Transport facility (RV delivery drivers), and rather close to the big TMC factory that used to be the Monaco plant (maybe take the factory tour while there).

One post said they have RV Park style spots with power posts for folks waiting in the queue...was the old Monaco Factory Service Center.
I think you can see the set-up (photo has yet to be updated) on Google Streetview:
507 Ward St.
https://goo.gl/maps/hjJ4dCnNZ672

Unfortunately, the nearest restaurants are over by the intersection of E.Waterford and Nappanee St. (Hwy19) by the the BP...a long walk, if you don't have a toad.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Thanks. I had looked at the Google view and that is part of what caused me to ask about it. I will be in contact Monday if all goes well. If I could find a dealer that could fix things instead of telling me they will do it and then take a few weeks I might try that, but I don't know of that many Thor dealers that I have good things about.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have been there ( old location ) on two occasions. Great experience, and very professional and knowledgeable staff and techs. My advice - don't use dealer or repair facilities unless you know of proficiency. Maybe a little farther to drive (Indiana), but enjoyable stay with much to see, ie; factory tours, RV Museum, and some pretty good restaurants. Good luck!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:09 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Was there once, you do need an appointment usually a lengthy wait. They were very nice and did complete repairs. They are not in a hurry
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:33 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were one of the first at the new facility. True there is limited eating out. Just ask for current best places when you check in. In fact there isn't much of anything around unless you want to tour the various RV plants. As to quality of work - our experiance was not impressive. Would not go back unless really close. As to service on cable slide I recommend DIY. VERY doable. Fact that cable disconnected indicates adjustment was way out and rubber retention grommet was probably missing. When properly adjusted there should be about 1/2 inch up and 1/2 down play in cable. Put hook on end of broom and pull/push test and visual check for frayed cable at the ends frequently.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

I'm going next month. They said free electric but no water b/c shut off in winter.
I'll drop off and return.

Tags
service, thor