Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2007, 06:26 AM   #1

I have a 2007 Damon Astoria, and although my husband has a tire gauge, I was wondering if anyone has tried/used the Tire Pressure Monitors that you install yourself (?), and if you think they are worth it.
Thanks,
Sue

Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2007, 06:26 AM   #2

I have a 2007 Damon Astoria, and although my husband has a tire gauge, I was wondering if anyone has tried/used the Tire Pressure Monitors that you install yourself (?), and if you think they are worth it.
Thanks,
Sue

Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ms Sue. We installed the Pressure Pro system this summer (10 piece coach and toad) and after about 4000 miles have not had any problems with it. I think we lost toad signal one or twice but we were on some VERY ROUGH roads at the time and I think vibration had something to to with that. Toad is 4WD so it rides pretty rough anyway. Other folks have had to add the repeater in coach bedroom to keep from losing signal from toad. Overall I would recommend it even with the price for a Ten Sensor unit....................Jim
Old 10-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #4

Thanks Jim...that is helpful to know..
Even tho its rather expensive I guess its worth it.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several Tire Pressure Monitor systems. One is called, I THINK: Tyre Gard or Tire Gard or some such it simply alerts if the pressure drops below a given point

Pressure Pro, mentioned by the other poster, reports the tire pressure to the monitor about once every five minutes. Very good but can be annoying (I will explain) Alerts on low pressure

Smart tire HAS TO BE PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED since you need to dis-mount and re-mount the tire on the rim. but it monitors under pressure, over pressure and temperture

I opted for PP and did the self install

The annoying part: If you install in oh, say Late July or early August when it's 100 in the shade. Then as the tires cool off come oh, say, NOW the alarms go off, you have to remove the sensors, let them sit a minute or two, and re-install

The value part: A friend in another forum bought his PP same time I did, he received it and put it in a storage compartment intending to install it... Later (Too later it turns out) Hooked up his towed, did the walk-around, everything ok, and away they went. Fifteen miles later people are honking and pointing. he pulls off and does another walk-around Flat tire on towed, over 2,000 in damage to towed from the trie.

I got mine and headed out and installed it. Same day. Hooked up and away we went. Just like he did. About half way to where we were going BEEP BEEP BEEP, LOW TIRE WARKING (left front towed, 27psi) Found a rest area, pulled off, fired up generator and air compressor, inflated tire. Over the course of the weekend I added air every day to that tire, sometimes 2x a day. finally we hooked up (Aired up the tire) and headed home.

Ariving home I aired up the tire again and headed for the tire store (Warranty) they found I'd been screwed.. So they removed the screw, replaced it with a proper internal boot type patch and re-mounted the tire under warranty, Total cost to me, about a dollar in gas for the generator and a bit of time drinking store supplied coffee.

I've had this happen at least 3 times

Every time I saved the tire, Nearly every time I caught it BEFORE the tire went flat (And the one time the tire went flat I caught it before I moved the car, thus I saved the tire) I'd say the unit has paid for itself in tires alone, never mind damage not done to the towed.

Is it worth it: YES!!!!

Now a bigger question: How much air to put in the MH tires: The number stamped on the sidewall (NO) the number on the sticker in the MH (Also NO) how much?

Weigh the wheels, go to the tire maker's website, read the chart, inflate to the Tire maker's suggested pressure for the wheel load.
YES!

This is true of all tires.. Though of course that's not how I do it on my car.. It is on the MH though
Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #6

Thanks John for explaining all that.
Sounds like its a good thing to have.
And I did have my husband get the MH weighed to find out what the tire pressure should be (after much ado).