RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #1

Sorry, I posted this in another spot by mistake as well.

I do have a situation that I am dealing with. I have what I thought was a tire out of balance on the front of my '07 Daybreak with 1900 miles. Had all of the tires checked for balance fronts were good, passenger side rear were good, drivers rear both were out but not real bad 2oz on one and 3oz on the other. I did not believe this would have any effect and it did not. I can feel it in the steering wheel and my wife can feel it in the floor on her side. I don't get much in the floor on my side. When they were checking the balance on the right front tire both the tech and I thought it looked like it was running out of round but this was just our feeling at this point. They are ordering a couple of tires and will have them tomorrow. Since I want to get a spare anyway they are going to mount and balance a new tire to see if this makes a difference.

OK, If this doesn't help, any other thoughts. It comes in around 65mph and up. I had it up to 75 just to see if it fades out and it does get somewhat less severe. I feel it in the steering wheel and get a noise associated with it kind of like a canvas blowing in the wind (kind of).... I've been around cars my whole life so I have an ok feel for this stuff, btu I could use some thoughts in case this doesn't nail it. It sure feels like a tire to me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #2

Sorry, I posted this in another spot by mistake as well.

I do have a situation that I am dealing with. I have what I thought was a tire out of balance on the front of my '07 Daybreak with 1900 miles. Had all of the tires checked for balance fronts were good, passenger side rear were good, drivers rear both were out but not real bad 2oz on one and 3oz on the other. I did not believe this would have any effect and it did not. I can feel it in the steering wheel and my wife can feel it in the floor on her side. I don't get much in the floor on my side. When they were checking the balance on the right front tire both the tech and I thought it looked like it was running out of round but this was just our feeling at this point. They are ordering a couple of tires and will have them tomorrow. Since I want to get a spare anyway they are going to mount and balance a new tire to see if this makes a difference.

OK, If this doesn't help, any other thoughts. It comes in around 65mph and up. I had it up to 75 just to see if it fades out and it does get somewhat less severe. I feel it in the steering wheel and get a noise associated with it kind of like a canvas blowing in the wind (kind of).... I've been around cars my whole life so I have an ok feel for this stuff, btu I could use some thoughts in case this doesn't nail it. It sure feels like a tire to me.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you come up with a answer yet?
Only other thing I can think of out of balance drive shaft.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #4

Not really. I bought 1 tire and put it on the right front. This did take the feedback out of the steering wheel. I still get the vibration at the 68 and up speed. It's not a hum or whine. I can best discribe as a flutter, but deep sound, low bass kind of sound. Not exactly a thumping, but kind of approaching that. It does remind me of a bad u-joint somewhat.

Anyway, I am going to have my father go out for a ride with me and see if we can track it down a little better. I still really suspect tires but I get exhausted just thinking about the time and expense of tracking that down.

As for the drive shaft/ujoint avenue, I keep going back to an experience we had with a 1979 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon. Very similar problem, just at a lower speed. This was a used car that had new or near new tires. We changed u-joints, drive shafts, bearings in the rear end, had it to a transmision shop for testing. In the end, tires.

There was definitly something up with the one that I changed out. I could see the difference with the new one as soon as they put it one the balancer. I may go for one more tire and see if I can track down the culprit by switching them out. My father also needs a spare so if this works we decided we would each take one of the bad ones and use them as spares.

I know this is a matter of opinion but these are the first Goodyear tires I have had on a coach and even if the vibration was not there I don't like the ride. I have never had a problem with a Michelin tire, but have read about many who have. Luck of the draw I guess.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #5

4gone, I wrote a nice long post to you right after yours but apparently it died in cyberspace. I suggested you swap the two front tires with two rears and see what happens. A driveshaft vibe is a fine vibration and a tire vibration is a bass sounding vibration. Let us know how things go, ok?

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote