Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Tire replacement advice

Hi peoples...

My tires are going on 9 years old. I know the recommended replacement interval is 5 to 7 years. I was reminded of that last weekend on the 1st leg of my 800 mile trip when I suffered a front drivers side blowout. No damage other than my ego...

I have Goodyear G670 RV tires. I think all things considered, they have held up well.

Looking to replace within the next 6 months.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Goodyear G670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Hi peoples...

My tires are going on 9 years old. I know the recommended replacement interval is 5 to 7 years. I was reminded of that last weekend on the 1st leg of my 800 mile trip when I suffered a front drivers side blowout. No damage other than my ego...

I have Goodyear G670 RV tires. I think all things considered, they have held up well.

Looking to replace within the next 6 months.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Bill

My Goodyear G670 RV tires are 7 years old, 36K miles - still going strong. Lots of tread. I run 115psi (125 is max). These tires have served me well and ride better than the stock tires. I would stick with the GY tires. Please more details on your blowout - please provide size and weight details, pressure used, load, and miles and condition of your tires. UV issues, cut side wall, heat failure, or what?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #3

Hi jhanan,

I have Goodyear G670 19.5/70R RV tires. About 13k on them, with plenty of tread. I usually run 100 psi. My rig weighs 16k empty and right around 20 fully loaded. I never travel with full water, only about 15 gals to get me to my destination. I believe the tire had a sidewall bubble that caused the blowout. I am thinking of upping the pressure to 110 psi. I have attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407733879976.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	70489  
Old 08-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have read on other forums that you have to run these tires closer to their max rating (and not the pressure given for the original stock tires). I know my rims - the Alcoa aluminum rims - are max 120 psi. But this side wall failure looks like a defect. While I'm sure your tires are out of warranty, but I think you should send the pic to Goodyear anyway.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #5

I will happily do so. Unfortunately I no longer have the tire. The mobile tire guy took it when I had it changed. Oh well. I do agree with you. I will stick to the Goodyear tires. They have done good by me.

Tags
advice, replace, replacement