RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #1

When I test drove my MH (2008 Challenger 378), I told salesman either there is a front tire balance issue or flat spot. He assured me that if a flat spot, it would go away after 300-400 miles.
Well, 2,400 miles later, the same problem exists in the range of 50 mph to 60 mph. I called Ford, they state they don't warranty flat spots. I have scheduled a service appointment with dealer to get it corrected.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #2

When I test drove my MH (2008 Challenger 378), I told salesman either there is a front tire balance issue or flat spot. He assured me that if a flat spot, it would go away after 300-400 miles.
Well, 2,400 miles later, the same problem exists in the range of 50 mph to 60 mph. I called Ford, they state they don't warranty flat spots. I have scheduled a service appointment with dealer to get it corrected.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #3

Ford will also not warranty a front end alignment. You're in a tough spot now as you will be caught between Damon and Ford. I know it doesn't help you but it might help someone else, never accept a motorhome from a dealer until you are completly satified, get your money back and walk if you have to.

Sam
Old 08-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"The salesman said the flat spot would go away after 300-400 miles"....

It should have been a dead give way...his lips were moving .....never believe an RV salesperson.

You need to go ahead and get the coach into a independent truck alignment/suspension shop and get the front end aligned with the coach loaded as for a normal trip. While there, get the tires balanced. If the vibration persist, you will need to look at the drive line angles and balance. Ford should cover that.

We had a 1999 E450 class c and the vibration was tracked down to bad drive shaft alignment and a bad u-joint. Also got Ford/Winnebago to refund the money spent on the tire balance and alignment.

Ken
Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You need to go ahead and get the coach into a independent truck alignment/suspension shop and get the front end aligned with the coach loaded as for a normal trip. While there, get the tires balanced. If the vibration persist, you will need to look at the drive line angles and balance. Ford should cover that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excellent advice.

Sam
Old 08-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #6

We bought a new 2008 Challenger 355 this spring. Ended up having to pay for an alignment and balance, as tires showed wear at 2500 miles. Had it done at a Ford HD Truck center. Dealer was no help. Just ate it.

Also installed roadmaster sway bars front and rear and safe-t-steer. Made 1000% difference.
davememt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #7

Thanks for the advise. Damon has suggested to have the MH alignment done. Hopefully, we haven't put too many miles on tires to cause problems. I do like Damon customer service!
I believe the dealer just wanted the sale and would risk customer happiness regardless of what might be wrong. We'll just see what happens.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #8

Took MH to alignment/balancing shop. I'm being told the two front tires are out of round emulating an out of balance condition..

I guess the next stop is with goodyear. Does anyone have experience with this issue?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #9

I went through the same thing with my coach. You could look up my posts here or on rv.net. I ended up buying two new tires on my own dime just to get rid of the problem. The tires would balance, but when they were on the machine you could see they it wasn't right. They were slightly egg shaped and you could see the run-out when they were spinning.

The option from Goodyear was to send the tire back and they would test it. If it was not within their tolerances they would destroy the tire and pay for a new one. If it was ok by them then I was out of luck. They destroy the tire either way as it is used. Plus the time involved in doing this was more than I was willing to spend.

On the up side for me, both myself and my father needed spares so I just kept the problem tires for this purpose. My coach only had 1800 miles when I bought the new tires. The dealer paid to balance them twice. I rotated them around myself.

I puchased a rim since my unit did not come with a spare. I bought one tire and started swapping them out one at a time. Took one off, put new one on, took it for a ride. No difference, take next tire off, put other one on, take for a ride found one that made a big difference. Still had some issue. Bought another tire kept going with the process. Finally got the vibration to go away with the last tire I swapped out. Rides good now.

Both Ford and Damon said it was a Goodyear issue which I agree with, Goodyear was no real help. Only if I wanted take a chance that I would be out a tire. Any other questions ask away.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #10

P.S.

I have read ALOT of posts of this very issue with Goodyear tires. But ask any dealer, there is no problem.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I picked up my 2009 Challenger 376 in late July and I have the same vibration issue. Dealer does not do tire balance so I was getting ready to take it to the local truck service to have the tires balanced as soon as it gets out of the dealership from having the torn slide seal fixed. Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:27 AM   #12

Took MH back to dealer. Reminded salesperson of the issue. Brought statement from balance/alignment shop indicating tires out of round. He said they would replace the tires with new. Just picked it up yesterday and it's wonderful to drive without feeling like tires are out of balance.

I guess sometimes a person can get lucky!
Old 09-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #13

Awesome!!! Very happy for you. I did not have that kind of good luck, but by the time I got it fixed I was happy to have it done one way or another. Glad you got it taken care of. Funny how many people have this issue, but Goodyear denies a problem.