Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Tuscany vs the competition

Have been researching tag axle DP's for a considerable while, and I joined this forum to get some opinions from Tuscany owners- have any of you owned other manufacturers brands or have friends who drive another, and are they happy/frustrated with their choice? I had it pretty much narrowed down to either a Tiffin Phaeton, Holiday Rambler Endeavor, and Winnebago Tour/Itasca Ellipse, because when I first started looking in about 2009 the Tuscany didn't seem to have a floorplan or many nice features that competed with these brands. However, the playing field seems to be changing: the new model Tuscany's look pretty impressive and I like the 45 foot floorplan, and all the standards that come with it.

I find brand-loyal people can get stuck thinking that Winnie and Tiffin are the only companies that can do things right, and that they never diminish in quality while others can never catch up. Yet more and more, I'm hearing people dissatisfied with the quality of their Ellipse, and Tiffin's had that major issue with roof cracking.

I plan on purchasing new, and I will likely go with an ESP, but I will make sure that it is a good policy, not necessarily the first one the dealer shoves in my face. The one thing that Tiffin and Thor owners seem to be unanimous on is the superior customer service. That alone is making me take a closer look at Thor.

I will be living in the unit several months a year, not necessarily in extreme climates, but I'm interested in the overall build quality-- whether people have had slide leak issues, holding tank problems, insulation, air conditioning issues, etc. etc.

Would appreciate any and all comments from people. Thanks,
C.
traccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We looked at Tuscany, as well as Sportscoach.

Then we bought a 3 year old monaco. Very pleased with our decision.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since Damon has come under the Thor "umbrella, there have been significant changes made to their line of motor homes, as well as to customer service, etc. We have a 2011 Challenger and couldn't be happier with the quality, perfomance, service (had to have the Lippert leveling system replaced under warranty), and overall satisfaction with the company and the coach. We have friends who have an Astoria, and others who have a 2009 Tuscany. Both have been extemely satisfied with their motor homes. We are thinking of going full-time again, and at this point will be purchasing a Tuscany in the near future. I believe that they are the best value in the diesel pusher marketplace. Good luck with your search.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
We traded a Tiffin FRED for our Tuscany pusher. We like the Tuscany and we liked the Tiffin until it was no longer adequate to meet our needs . All the units you are looking at have reasonable quality construction. Rare is the coach without some issues but that is part of the game. You get pretty much the same components in all of them so it's really the floorplan and what you want to use the unit to do.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We looked closely at Thor's lineup late in 2010 and into 2011. Due mainly to the Dealer here we ruled them out as a purchase for us which is unfortunate because I liked most of what I saw. I was most impressed with the paint and, somewhere around here, I have a video demonstrating the very unique approach and materials they employ in the process of painting their coach(s). I'm not a big big Freightliner fan (don't yell) which also had some impact. I'm sorry, but I don't think Tiffin is currently giving you as much coach for the money as Winnebago, American Coach, or Thor .... especially if you go all electric? As for Monaco / Holiday Rambler I don't think I'd buy another Roadmaster chassis after having an '06 and knowing lots of folks who had them as well - lots and lots of issues with little support or concern. Perhaps they have resolved these issues by now?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2006 Tuscany and have had lots of problems. It leaked from the time I picked it up. A service rep came to my dealer after I mentioned the Texas lemon law. Then it was sent back to the factory. Some of the leaks came back after a time but were fixed by the dealer. Now the lemon law is no longer available because of time and more leaks are starting to show. The trim is swelling and cracking the plastic covering the pressboard. Maybe the sale of Damon will solve these problems but it is too late for me. I met another owner who was taking his back to the factory in late 2006 so I am not the only one who had water leak problems.
muz newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by muz newman View Post
I have a 2006 Tuscany and have had lots of problems. It leaked from the time I picked it up. A service rep came to my dealer after I mentioned the Texas lemon law. Then it was sent back to the factory. Some of the leaks came back after a time but were fixed by the dealer. Now the lemon law is no longer available because of time and more leaks are starting to show. The trim is swelling and cracking the plastic covering the pressboard. Maybe the sale of Damon will solve these problems but it is too late for me. I met another owner who was taking his back to the factory in late 2006 so I am not the only one who had water leak problems.
That's interesting (and unfortunate for you of course) that you would mention this. We were told by at least two Dealers and in conversation with various folks at the Tampa show that his had been a problem for Thor in the past. We then met a salesman at a Newmar dealership that we had met years ago at a Thor dealership; he had sold Thor for "several years" and claimed he was tired of all the "headaches", hence the change to Newmar. AC makes a big deal about the manner in which their floors, sidewalls, and roofs are all "mated" to each other along with the vacubonding they do, claiming it virtually eliminates leaks. Unfortunately we get a "leak" whenever we bring the big slide in if it's been raining 'cause it drags water on its top side into the coach along with the slide - AC claims they're "workin' on it"!
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have an 08 tuscany, it fell in the grey area as thor was settling the deal

are we pleased with the coach? OH YES
Is comfy to drive, gets real good mpg imo with our towed load
excellent power
f/l has been great at midnight questions and support
Damon/Thor switched the customer line....so far its worked for us

HOWEVER
the roof a/c units by carrier are imo could be better
never as in most m/h with the front window never park into the setting sun IT gets warm inside even with the shades down, we made a foil reflctix shade with a nice printed fabric, helps much .

warranty repairs so far
damons fault....the shower pan had a crack from an overtightened screw
jensen nav/camera unit replaced
all four coach batteries, dealers fault
one fridge cooling unit (norcold)
one Genny coolant tank brass fitting screwed in to tight and cracked it, thats onan/cummins fault
fridge door seals, norcold
engine a/c compressor line blew out at compressor....bad assembly line.
f/l or damon who knows but both shared the cost and made it right

a few water lines under the kitchen sink were LOOSE and when we hooked up water.....it made a big mess

not happy with the flexsteel drivers and passenger seat fabric (ultra leather) its not holding up like i would like

one ecm recalibration from cummins
oh and one toilet seal.

overall, most is minor stuff
our dealer was head and shoulders above the rest, they have a rv park at the service center, and come get you and your coach in the morning, let you stay in it, complete with 50 amp power if you like or go hang out in the nice lounge
then they put you back at the end of the day and if needed you can stay over and leave the next morning if all your work is done
dw made cookies one time while we were in the service bay, we had all the techs coming over to say hi
mcclains in denton
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
we have an 08 tuscany, it fell in the grey area as thor was settling the deal

[snip]
HOWEVER
the roof a/c units by carrier are imo could be better
[/snip]
Couldn't agree more on the Carrier A/C units. I upgraded my 08 Astoria to the low profile 15k units, and this month, both condenser fan motors croaked. Carrier has abandoned their customers.

So, rather than throwing away two units for want of a few replacement bushings on a couple hundred dollars of motors, we'll pull the motors and send them for repair.

Wish me luck... Then we'll keep fingers crossed that another component doesn't go bad.

Otherwise very happy with overall ownership experience after 3 years and 35k miles.
-dan
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDan View Post
Couldn't agree more on the Carrier A/C units. I upgraded my 08 Astoria to the low profile 15k units, and this month, both condenser fan motors croaked. Carrier has abandoned their customers.

So, rather than throwing away two units for want of a few replacement bushings on a couple hundred dollars of motors, we'll pull the motors and send them for repair.

Wish me luck... Then we'll keep fingers crossed that another component doesn't go bad.

Otherwise very happy with overall ownership experience after 3 years and 35k miles.
-dan
this summer my front a/c blower motor started doing the chirp thing
so i found a replacement at grainger, fabbed up new mounts etc.
i also found the source of the problem

the COLD end of the motor shaft has a rubber foam seal thing that seals the cold air plenum from the rotating shaft
the problem is, what happens when cold moist air comes into contact with a surface of substantially different temps? it condenses and we have a small amount of water sitting on a hot shaft that then gets sucked up through capillary action through the small bearing seal and then settles right on the bronze bushing, after the motor shuts down of course, because we all know, moss Don't grow on a rolling stone

so now we have a hot shaft with moisture settling in and lying in wait, in between the steel shaft and bronze bushing...then we get RUST that slowly grows and causes the chirp and subsequent bearing failure, followed by motor over heat from friction, not that the motor wasn't hot enough already mind you, soooo
i removed both motors and soaked the bearing in some synthetic 20w oil
i had some laying around.
plus i cleaned the shafts the best i could. and we have no more chirps
but i do have a spare motor now in the basement if the repairs fail.
carrier should step up with affordable motors....not 350 dollar ones
i paid 120 ish for mine.
i had thought about bidding at the auction for carriage because they had 12 with heat sitting there.

but in the future i see a new pair of 15k low profile units with heat pumps going in and ditching the carrier units
I do like the ease at which the carriers can be field stripped up top to aid in deep cleaning twice a year of the coils.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #11

We've had our 2010 4051 for 2-1/2 years now and 18k miles. No major problems that required any extensive repairs. No water system leaks, Pass front slid leak when out but the fix was minor.Screen door latch and adjustment needed.Towed front alignment in more than factor spec to make handling perfect.Overall paint job not the very best but aceptible.
We think fit and finish and quality of material used is very good.Love the freightliner and cummins driveline.They do advertize it as a winterized package but that isn't true as wet bay not insulated and only 2-20k btu furnaces. Floor plan and TV layout were exactly what we were looking for.
Wouldn't be afraid to buy another one but probably won't we able to wear this one out I don't think.
Gerald
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll find problems with all of them. The one thing that I've noticed a little different, Tiffen owners seem to enjoy their vacations back to the factory alot.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
You'll find problems with all of them. The one thing that I've noticed a little different, Tiffen owners seem to enjoy their vacations back to the factory alot.
my new friend has his there often, for some reason he thought all his maintenance had to be done at red bay
but i hear they treat him good

the wet bay.....in the winter we add a thick wool blanket to the bottom of the plastic bay and fill the hole in where the sewer hose passes through. it seems to help

i have also reflctix wrapped all the plumbing drains lines in the bay and added heat strips to them and the water tank. so far even in 19f the strips haven't come on,

Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #14

Question paint

I have a 2010 Damon Tuscany with a few dings down on the bottom of the doors.I filled them but need some spray touch up paint[small can] It is the silver brocade color scheme with the code DM 67562 on the touch up bottle
Any help with where I can get some?
I do love the coach with only the Radio/GPS having problems[replaced under warantee We have the out side TV and have WII bowling tournments with our club
thanks
larryellert is offline   Reply With Quote