Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #1

Three weeks ago we took our 2006 Damon Challenger in for a cracked windshield due to stabilizer jacks being out of sychronization. It has been 3 weeks and the motorhome has not been touched. The windshield arrived last Thursday and has not been put in and parts have been ordered for the stabilizer jacks but have not been received. I was told today they have some motorhomes in for as much as 3 months before repairs are complete. Is this for real???? Three months!!!! I would really like to take my motorhome out this summer. Have any of you experience this type of delay in repair?
satterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #2

Three weeks ago we took our 2006 Damon Challenger in for a cracked windshield due to stabilizer jacks being out of sychronization. It has been 3 weeks and the motorhome has not been touched. The windshield arrived last Thursday and has not been put in and parts have been ordered for the stabilizer jacks but have not been received. I was told today they have some motorhomes in for as much as 3 months before repairs are complete. Is this for real???? Three months!!!! I would really like to take my motorhome out this summer. Have any of you experience this type of delay in repair?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, first the jacks, the job, as I understand it, requires no parts, In another thead on this issue I described the operation of the 3-point jack system Damon uses (NOTE: Yes, I know there are FOUR jacks, but it is still a 3 point system, two of them "Teeter totter" there is no way on earth they can get out of sync unless you max the jacks out and lift the wheels off the ground)

But they can get hooked up wrong

As for the windshield. Some dealers seem to take a long time for things

In another thread I spoke of a chassis recall, Though the chassis is a Workhorse and thus I need to work through Workhorse the recall is really a GM, specifically chevy, and the local workhorse center is also a Chevy dealer

Well, when I told them I never actually GOT the recall letter (mis-communication, dealer told me he did something, I did it, a year later, letter went out before I did it) they said they could not do the work when I requested because it took them 2 weeks to get anything out of workhorse.

I had the part in my hand six pm that night.

(They likely don't have more than a couple dozen in their parts inventory at the dealer, my regular dealer is a "Parts central" and may well have them in hundred or thousand lots)

Oh well... Got it done.

Something tells me they won't be pulling that 2-weeks crap on me again (The name on the business card the part was attached to perhaps)

I had my windshield replaced as well.. Job takes three days to do properly.. And they took all 3 of them. Damon, Plant 12 (Warranty repair)
Old 05-30-2007, 03:30 AM   #4

I won't leave my motorhome at a dealer for more than a few days, unless of course it is inoperable. This forces the dealer to call you when the parts arrive(or you bug them) and then you can take it in for the appointment. The other problem with leaving the RV for extended periods is the dealer is not responsible if your rig is broke into or damaged, at least that is their stance and you will have to threaten or proceed with legal action if anything happens. Unfortunately the RV consumer has allowed the dealers to get away with this ridiculous behavior.

Very few dealers do their own glass, it is farmed out to glass shops.

Sam
Old 05-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #5

WOW!

We never leave our motorhome at the Service Center for any length of time. If they need to order parts, I tell them to overnight them.

We had a 2006 Damon Tuscany. The hydraulic jacks had an issue but were fixed right away. We even had the Service guy from Lippert Components come out to our home to work on our hydraulic jack system. He relaced a pressure switch.

You ask if it is for real to have a motorhome for 3 months............I say "UNACCEPTABLE".

There is no reason in h*ll to have your unit sitting there for that long a period of time.

I'd be talking to the Service Manager for sure.

Good luck! I hope they get the windshield in as soon as possible and you are out of there.

Anything that we have ever had done on our coach, was done within a week.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #6

Hello, I had started a thread earlier about my windshield and jacks. I had the repairs done in one day after the windshield was delivered. Drove into the dealer at 8:00 and was back on the road by noon actually. It took 3 days for the windshield to arrive by truck frieght.

Now, what I did was talk with Damon customer support when I had the problem and they were very quick to fix my problem. They found a dealer to do the work since I was on the road at the time. It wasn't even a authorized Damon Dealer!

To go into more details, the dealer I went to used a local glass doctor dealer to do the installation. They changed the glass in about an hour and half, if that. The rest of the time the mechanic was inspecting my jacks and found the crossed lines.

I would recommend you call Damon Customer support and ask to talk with your area representative. I have real good luck with them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by satterfield:
Three weeks ago we took our 2006 Damon Challenger in for a cracked windshield due to stabilizer jacks being out of sychronization. It has been 3 weeks and the motorhome has not been touched. The windshield arrived last Thursday and has not been put in and parts have been ordered for the stabilizer jacks but have not been received. I was told today they have some motorhomes in for as much as 3 months before repairs are complete. Is this for real???? Three months!!!! I would really like to take my motorhome out this summer. Have any of you experience this type of delay in repair? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Melvin &  Linda Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #7

Satterfield..any word on the MH and your dealer? I was wondering if you had any luck getting this resolved quickly. I know I would be EXTREMELY unhappy.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #8

I will be contacting the Damon Service Rep. today, as I am unable to get a return call from the dealer.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #9

Decided to call the dealer one more time. Within two hours the motorhome was ready to be picked up. Do I expect to have problems again. YES! The window was replaced but they found nothing wrong with the jacks. Time will tell....motorhome is still under warranty
Old 06-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #10

I am so happy for you! I truly hope that they were right about your jacks. You know you can check their operation easily enough. They should always move in pairs..front, back, left or right. If you see a left rear and a right front move at the same time, there's a problem.

Good luck and happy camping!

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #11

Chandler, mine work exactly like John D described. The front jacks cannot be activated independently so all the side to side leveling is done by the rear jacks. Is yours different?

Sam
Old 06-03-2007, 02:46 AM   #12

Sam, I know that the leveling systems used by Damon changed in 2006. It is made by LCI, and called Electonic Leveling. In automatic mode it will level side to side using both front and rear jacks. The manual states that the jacks will always work as pairs, either front or back or left side or right side. Plumbing diagram shows each jack with a separate line from the pump.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hurricaner:
Chandler, mine work exactly like John D described. The front jacks cannot be activated independently so all the side to side leveling is done by the rear jacks. Is yours different?

Sam </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Melvin &  Linda Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #13

Sam...I'm sitting here with my jacks down but I'll be packing up in a few hours. I have the HWH system and when tightening my fittings I could almost swear that they had four lines that went to four jacks. I have the old manual system. When we get ready to go, I'll do an operational check.......
Wait, I don't have to..
When I pull my tires, I do one side at a time. I get the side off the ground and have enough room to get my 10 ton jack stands under the frame. If the rear jacks did all the work, and the front was Teed together, it wouldn't come off the ground in the front. As a matter of fact, it would probably tourque the chassis.
Amazing, this brain of mine! (when it works)

Wife, Dee
Old 06-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rather than the number of hoses, Look at the number of VALVES on the pump body

With the front jacks "T"ed together here is what happens when you adjust side to side

The fluid flows jack-jack, and they self level

Think of it this way, Imagine a single piston pushing down on an upside down teeter toter, in the middle and a pair of "Feet" on each end of the board. As you can see the rig will "Rock" around the "T" (Side to side)

Same idea, only it's done hydraulically.

To test this, extend the jacks so they are not all the way to the ground. Using either a lever or a small jack, force one jack to go up a bit, Does the other one go DOWN? If so, it's a 3-jack system even if there are 4 jacks.