Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #1

Hello...The wife and I purchesed a 1998 Damon Challenger 330 34 ft w/slide about a month ago. we are working the "bugs" out over the last couple weeks. We have had it out camping twice now..and really like how it laid-out. The question I have is..after reading about the dreaded "parking brake" issues this brand has..I have some confusion as to understand..I have a "yellow" knod on the dash..left of sterring wheel that is marked "parking brake" and you pull it to apply... light comes on panel " parking brake" ...then when gear shift is placed in "park" the light comes on panel.. "auto park"...now is this two different systems..? or are they tied together..? the one thing I haven't done is to leave the gear shift in "netural" and pull the yellow knob..to see if indeed I have "a parking brake"..or it takes putting the gear shift in the "P" to actuate the AutoPark system. I haven't had any issues with this system..yet..just trying to clear up the confusion..as if there are two "parking brake" on this model...and if so why...Thanks..
MotorHome 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHome 1 View Post
Hello...The wife and I purchesed a 1998 Damon Challenger 330 34 ft w/slide about a month ago. we are working the "bugs" out over the last couple weeks. We have had it out camping twice now..and really like how it laid-out. The question I have is..after reading about the dreaded "parking brake" issues this brand has..I have some confusion as to understand..I have a "yellow" knod on the dash..left of sterring wheel that is marked "parking brake" and you pull it to apply... light comes on panel " parking brake" ...then when gear shift is placed in "park" the light comes on panel.. "auto park"...now is this two different systems..? or are they tied together..? the one thing I haven't done is to leave the gear shift in "netural" and pull the yellow knob..to see if indeed I have "a parking brake"..or it takes putting the gear shift in the "P" to actuate the AutoPark system. I haven't had any issues with this system..yet..just trying to clear up the confusion..as if there are two "parking brake" on this model...and if so why...Thanks..
Congrats on your new to you Damon!
Here is a link that may give you some insight to the AutoPark
Again- congrats- I am sure you will enjoy the rig.
Damon Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the link..I understand more now about the parking brake setup. I 'm seeing that our's is a 1998 .. I got version 3 of the J71...I have the seprate pump/reservior on the side frame rail. I was hoping we would have the J72 series..from what I've read it's not near the problem child the J71 is. This is our second motorhome..we traded a 1988 winnebago super chief 32 ft on this one. The wife stated she didn't want another RV without a slide. This Damon has only 32K and was in real decent shape. The previous owner just didn't keep up on some things ..so we are going thur and fixing/changing those items. I will keep visiting here and checking in on more info...gained a lot since I began reading...swell bunch of folks here willing to help out...Thanks again...
MotorHome 1 is offline   Reply With Quote