RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #1

Windshield Pops Out

I have a 2001 Damon Intruder 350 Class A. I noticed there was a 3/4" gap between the front windshield rubber and the body of the coach. The gap is only near the top corner on both sides. As the glass goes to the bottom, it goes back into its proper place.

I took it to a windshield repair place and was told it was due to the coach twisting when using the leveling jacks. The shop took the glass out and re-installed it to it proper place. We have only been on 2 short weekend trips and now the glass is back out.

Any suggestions to fixing this for good?

soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the windshield is installed properly, it will not drop. I had that problem and was directed to a RV Repair facility who did it right. Find an installer that warrantees his work.

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just did this on my 2004 Damon Escaper. From my experience talking to people about it (Thor, RV glass suppliers/installers, body shops), Damon is not one of those brands that were built improperly that needs body build-up. That's the good news. The bad news is that there are several little things that can add to the problem of occasional pop out. Jacking... severe jacking... especially utilizing improper proceedure will cause pop outs. On mine, for example, the Damon Owners Manual gives a specific order for jacking... beginning with the front. Personally, since resetting the windshield about a month ago, I've jacked very little. When I do jack, I use the Automatic setting. Keep in mind that (on mine, anyway) the auto function can be calibrated. The point is to make sure everything is functioning properly... and try to stay away from spots requiring three-axis leveling.

Another thing that can cause pop outs... and was, it turns out, the trigger that caused mine: I had some moisture in the PowerGear leveler system that, apparently, froze and popped an O ring on the right front jack. When it leaked down some, the coach racked. It wasn't immediately noticeable. I drove that day in the cold. I'm also guessing the cold certainly didn't help the flexibility of the rubber gasket.

Bottom line: Make sure jack system is functioning properly, properly calibrated to level and be aware that, just because your jacks will raise to extreme levels, it's not necessarily a wise thing to do.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #4

Thank you both for your answers.

I will try to find a dealer that is local that can do the work and put a warranty on it.

Once we start camping this spring, I'll try what was suggested for leveling the coach. I have manual leveling in my coach. I'll pull the book out and see if Damon has a specific order for leveling with the manual controls.

Would the age of the gasket have anything to do with it? Would having a new rubber installed on both sections help?

Again, Thank you for your fast response.
soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soneil422 View Post

Would the age of the gasket have anything to do with it? Would having a new rubber installed on both sections help?

Again, Thank you for your fast response.
On the gasket, it's all about condition. If drying, cracking... replace. Personally, I'd replace just because it makes sense but, since I was in the middle of nowhere when mine happened, they used the existing gasket. Works fine. I've been told it can take a few days to get a replacement, by the way.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you have the windshield reinstalled make sure that the gasket is glued to both the windshield(glass) and the body(chassis).Some techs will only glue to the chassis.My 2005 Intruder(W24) has popped. I double glued and installed Roadmaster anti sway bars to front and rear to prevent twisting which I think caused mine to pop out. Our deteriorating highways don't help the matter either.
harvhalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
My intruder did the same thing. Nearest repair center is a driver. Wil it be safe to drive on the interstate? Thanks for your help.👍
gotago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drove mine home from Florida to Wisconsin. I had a 1" gap on the lower drivers side corner where it popped out.
harvhalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had a total of 4 windshields replaced. Twisting of the RV's frame from roads, exiting driveways and jacking all affect the windshield. I had one crack when I exited a smooth sloped concrete driveway. Some RV repair facilities just don't know the proper method to replace a windshield, especially one piece windshields. Since my last windshield replacement, I have had diagnostic road test performed by Henderson's In-line. I had heavy duty front and rear Anti-sway bars installed - RoadMaster on the front and SuperSteer on the rear. They strengthened the frame, eliminated a lot of the twisting and sway, and made driving much more enjoyable.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suggest using the manual operation for jacking - front first, next rear, then side to side. Also, if close to a factory that manufactured your coach, take it back to them. They built it, so it follows that they know how to properly repair/replace.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for all the replys. Mine is the top of the driver side. The seal seems to be intact as it does not leak and we have had plenty of rain here In Florida. Got a shot trip to take with it. I will get it fixed after that. Just makes a lot of wind noise.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Brink you are spot on. That's exactly how I jack the RV.
Thank you👍
Old 07-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #13

2 years ago I had an accident with my challenger. The bodywork was done perfectly. When they replaced the windshield after a month I had the same problem. The dealership took down all the interior portions of the coach and expoed the windshield. Looking at it there is NOTHING that supports the windshield other then the fiberglass roof

The dealer told me this is common in Damon coaches. He reinforced the area around the windshield with steel to make sure it has strength. The coach now does not have any of the squeaks and rattles that it had seems much more solid.

I feel that if a coach is rigid enough it should not twist to the point of breaking the windshield. iMO

grkman1 is offline   Reply With Quote