Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #1

Okay, so two weeks ago I traded my Georgetown for a 378 Platinum. Paperwork I've seen stated that there is an Antenna Amp. During the PDI I did not see it. I asked and was told the Winegard Distribution box was also the antenna amp. Is this correct? It could be but I doubt it. Not to say it's not working because it seems so, I was about 40 miles outside of Washington, DC and was receiving their digital signals. So, if you know the location of the "Antenna Amplifer" please tell me.

Regards,

Devildog & Norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #2

Okay, so two weeks ago I traded my Georgetown for a 378 Platinum. Paperwork I've seen stated that there is an Antenna Amp. During the PDI I did not see it. I asked and was told the Winegard Distribution box was also the antenna amp. Is this correct? It could be but I doubt it. Not to say it's not working because it seems so, I was about 40 miles outside of Washington, DC and was receiving their digital signals. So, if you know the location of the "Antenna Amplifer" please tell me.

Regards,

Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I asked and was told the Winegard Distribution box was also the antenna amp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes , the power button is on the far left hand side if it is like mine.

Sam
Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #4

Just make sure you shut the button off when storing your MH,the amp will drain your house batteries real quick. You should have a red on indicator light next to button.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hurricaner:
[QUOTE]I asked and was told the Winegard Distribution box was also the antenna amp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need to take another look at the distribution box. I don't recall a Antenna power button. I have been searching for the white plate with the red power indicator. Thanks for the replies.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #6

I have the Daybreak, and it came with the white plate in the right hand compartment next to the overhead tv.

Bill
Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Redapple:
I have the Daybreak, and it came with the white plate in the right hand compartment next to the overhead tv.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Bill the white switch plate is exactly what I have been looking for. I have been in every compartment trying to find it. I'm going to my storage facility and take a good look at the distribution box today. Thanks again.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:43 AM   #8

Having a 378 myself, I usually use the disconnect coach batteries switch when putting the coach in storage unless I want to keep the refrigerator on or something else turned on.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #9

Problem solved! Damon is now using the amplified Winegard antenna. Thanks everyone for you help.

Regards,

Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Problem solved! Damon is now using the amplified Winegard antenna. Thanks everyone for you help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No. Damon has always used amplified antennas and the power for that amplifier has to come from somewhere. The batwing has always had the amplifier in the antenna, when supplied. There has to be a means of feeding 12 volt power to the coax for the antenna and it must have an on off switch.

Sam
Old 09-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #11

Yes that is correct they are all amplified. I quess I should have said that there is no longer an on/off switch. Now it is always ON. Or so I understand. Thanks.

OB

Old 09-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Well, I just 'ripped' mine off the top a couple of months ago, and had to install a new antenna. The antenna 'amplifier' is actually INSIDE the antenna. The coax cable from the antenna goes to your 'box' and their is a power splitter in the box to allow the 12vdc to feed the antenna through the coax(fairly common really). The 'box' is simply the power supply for the antenna and has another connection in it for you to connect your TV to it. BTW, it works with the new DTV type units or converter-box as well.

cheers

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:11 AM   #13

Dave,

Thank you. This is the information I was looking for. I was concerned because I did not have an on/off switch for the antenna. Good point on the digital signals. Any antenna will work even a 1950 pair of rabbit ears. Thanks again.

OB

Old 09-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thank you. This is the information I was looking for. I was concerned because I did not have an on/off switch for the antenna. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would think there should still be an on/off switch. The amplifier draws power and you don't want to waste it when you boondocking.

Sam