RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #1

Wiper arm adjustment?

Does the 2 bolts bolted to the body adjust the arm?

Drivers side seems to be catching the wind and extending to far and hitting the windshield when on at highway speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper arm.png
Views:	10
Size:	947.6 KB
ID:	257631   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiper arm 2.png
Views:	11
Size:	999.4 KB
ID:	257632  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 06:53 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes and no.
To adjust remove the large nut, you will find a splined shaft, pry the wiper arm off the shaft and rotate it maybe one spline, put it back on and tighten the nut.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

I cannot see clearly in your pictures, but on my MH, the two arms have the ability to adjust their lengths. Each arm has a small nut/bolt that allows the arm to be extended or retracted, thus changing the angle of the blade relative to the center post (adjustment of the narrow arm), and how far the blade will go toward the outside edge of the windshield (wide arm). This is in addition to adjustments made by the mounting bolts, as mentioned.

From your photo, moving both arms on the mounting pivots will place the driver's side wiper closer and lower to the center post. That should place both blades the same distance from the center, at rest, and keep the driver's side from extending too far over the edge during the outward cycle. If you have the arm length adjustments, you can tweak the angle of the blades so they are parallel to the center post when at rest.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:14 AM   #4

Upon closer inspection I guess the drivers side must have excessive play in it somewhere. Its hitting the center rubber section between the windshield even with the above gap when parked.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolDam View Post
Upon closer inspection I guess the drivers side must have excessive play in it somewhere. Its hitting the center rubber section between the windshield even with the above gap when parked.
I read another thread regarding the wiper arms on a single pane windshield where the arms rest horizontally, parallel to the bottom of the windshield. From that thread, it was stated that the arm has essentially a "one time fit" on the grooved lug of the shaft, and once the arm has been removed from the shaft, the grooves in the arm socket are widened and the arm becomes loose and will not hold its position.

Don't know if that applies to your situation, or if you've ever removed or adjusted the arm on its pivot. You might try removing the cap covering the mounting nut and gently move the arm, by hand, and see if there is any movement while the nut remains stationary.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #6

I have a 2003 Challenger. My wipers had a lot of play in them. I kept moving the wiper arm on the mounting post at the bottom of the arm to get it to sweep the windshield properly and I still could not maintain wiper alignment. I finally found that the bolts for the whole mount for the wipers and wiper motors assembly was loose. This assembly is behind the firewall and inside under the dash. New bolts on the assembly allowed me to finally align the wipers.
hclark6345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

In the 'wiper' world, those pivots are called transmissions....