RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #1

08 Windsport Deteriorating leather revisited

Just bought 08 Windsport and ive read all the post on issue with China ultraleather peeling. Guess what mine is doing on first trip out (damn). Just wondering what you guys ended up with. I called and sent pics and info to Thor guy and waiting on response. I have 2 (flexsteel mfg.) chairs coming apart and a (williamsburg mfg.) euro chair and not sure about my couch yet, just has little spot on armrest rubbed. Its a (flair mfg). Wondering if these are bad to. Anyone else have bad Flair couch and what did they do for you ? Is new material holding up? Thanks

dragracer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #2

Ultraleather isnt leather at all. Thats part of the problem. If any petroleum products were used on them, most "shine/clean" products are it speeds up the deterioration. Our sofa is going to be replaced soon. Already replaced the driver seat. Eventually i'll switch out the passenger seat, not ultraleather. Its flexsteel, so thor probably wont help and dealing with flexsteel is a joke. Good luck.

phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #3

Thor is sending some people material because they speced out product to put on seats. Its not flexsteel, williamsburg, or flairs fault from what I understand. As I said im waiting on Thors response now. Is your couch a Flair product? What did it cost to recover that and /or front seat? Thanks for response.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #4

FYI, I have a Coachmen (now Forest River) and had some of the bad "Ultraleather" Both my driver and passenger seat armrests fell apart (not the seats) and my Euro chair discombobulated itself. Williamsburg sold me replacement arm rest covers for my captains chairs cheaply, and I just ended up replaceing the Euro chair from one of those salvage outfits in Elkhart (it was cheaper than recovering it). Fortunately, my couch and dinette are holding up perfectly, so it was definitely a bad batch of material that was used by several manufacturers, not just Thor.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #5

6 months into our warranty in 2008 when the sofa started failing Thor made an offer to replace it free or live with it and take a check for $800. Their concern was it likely would happen again. We took the check and the sofa has finally gotten to the point it needs to go. The $800 is long gone, however we plan on replacing it with a residential sofa anyways (cheaper). The drivers seat was shot within 2 years,when looking to replace it I decided to go with an air suspension trucker seat. Ultraleather none the less, however the quality of this ultraleather is so above what is on the passenger seat or the sofa and doesnt show any wear at all. Cost for the seat was $700 and I installed it. I can get a matching non suspension seat for the passenger side for about $450, which i eventually will. As for recovering, it could get quite expensive. Flexsteel screwed us the dealer and Thor around for almost three months, approving replacement then renegging. Which is when Thor stepped up back in '08.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

To clear up one thing, "Ultraleather" is a registered trademark for a particular brand of urethane finished upholstery fabric. Similar fabrics are made by a number of companies and, furthermore, most of those companies have multiple grades of fabric available. I doubt that Thor used "real" ultraleather and probably used a "knockoff"; but even if they did use Ultraleather it probably wasn't the top of the line product.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

I know custom car builders who swear by ultraleather. Their stuff is different quality though. However my flexsteel furniture came with dupont or 3m (i forget) ultraleather tags and care instructons.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #8

phnguyk, where can you get matching chair for 450? Flexsteel wants 525 for just new material, whole chair 900. Im hoping Thor is going to help but still no word, Ill call Monday. Williamsburg will send Euro chair, footstool, and armrest covers for 175 (not bad). Thats great they gave you 800 on couch. I bet getting covers for couch will be tough.

I did read some other post where Thor did send some others material, any of you guys on here now?
Old 10-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #9

It's not flexsteel brand. It's a sears elite 80 over the road trucker seat in grey ultraleather. Not rv specific. I couldn't justify the price for flexsteel, when I could get a more comfortable much more adjustable seat for less.