Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

18 weeks in Camping World shop

We bought our new 2013 Fourwinds 31A in June of last year. Since then, it's been put into Camping World of Cocoa service 3 times for a total of 18 weeks and counting. First, we discovered the overhang bunk had a large leak. They had it for a couple of weeks to caulk the leak. Then back again immediately to fix the massive damage/mold/softened wood that the leak caused and should have been repaired when the leak was being fixed but hadn't been. Nine weeks later we finally get it back. A few days later we try it out for ONE night camping at Disney. Time to leave, the front slide wouldn't go back in more than half way. We immediately and slowly limped back to Camping World. Over 7 weeks later we're still waiting. First they said it was a bad module, then they said it was a bad wiring harness. Now they don't answer the phone. I always get the answering machine at the service desk. Neither does Thor. We left a few calls with Camping World and Thor, but they aren't returning them. When Camping World does return a call, the information is ambiguous and confusing. We've owned it 7 months and almost 5 of them have been spent in Camping Worlds service area. This has been a NIGHTMARE. Is this normal for Thor and Camping World?! I wish I'd never bought this thing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #2

Time to contact an attorney.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Time to contact an attorney.
Yeah. I'm thinking that, too. My problem is that we visited my in-laws in Texas, and bought it there at MHSRV in Alvarado. We paid the Florida state taxes and registration, though, because we live in Florida. Both Texas and Florida have lemon laws (and this is VERY much a lemon). So do I have a Texas or a Florida RV? Lesson learned.. buy local!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #4

I'd agree with the attorney. Maybe all it will take is a letter from an attorney (hopefully) to get them moving. I'd suggest posting this in the MH-General discussions & problems forum on irv2 so that members other than the Thor Forum would be aware of that particular camping world.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylee View Post
Yeah. I'm thinking that, too. My problem is that we visited my in-laws in Texas, and bought it there at MHSRV in Alvarado. We paid the Florida state taxes and registration, though, because we live in Florida. Both Texas and Florida have lemon laws (and this is VERY much a lemon). So do I have a Texas or a Florida RV? Lesson learned.. buy local!
Probably neither. Unfortunately, Florida's lemon laws apply only to the automotive part of a motorhome, not to the house portion. I assume Texas is the same. Your problems as described are not automotive, hence no lemon law.

Do get an attorney.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll just say "NOT SUPRISED"

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would first contact the manufacturer and cc Camping World about the problems and give them a 10 day dead line to address the issues and have ethe RV 100% operational or provide a new unit or refund your purchase price in full. Next step is an attorney. Be sure and keep all copies of all invoices, service tickets and notes on all phone conversations.

Ken
Old 02-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

We have had the same issues with camping world, not at all unusual. I recall reading about texas lemon law being more helpful on motor homes but dont know about you being florida residents. Florida lemon law is NO help thus why rv dealers and manufacturers are not concerned.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I'd agree with the attorney. Maybe all it will take is a letter from an attorney (hopefully) to get them moving. I'd suggest posting this in the MH-General discussions & problems forum on irv2 so that members other than the Thor Forum would be aware of that particular camping world.
I would post on all forums A or C MH also I would search for issues on these forums and any other forums. I have read many issues with Thor slides.

GOOD LUCK
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

I would find another factory authorized service center. There is no reason you have to take the HM back where you bought it. I bought a Thor Challenger last year. I've had some repairs that were made under warranty. I found Thor to be very responsive and every item has been repaired, no questioned asked. I did have some delays getting the HM into an authorized service center because they were busy. Once the MH was in the shop and the parts ordered/delivered everything was repaired promptly. About a week after I bought my MH I received a phone call from a woman at Thor. She told me she was my Concierge at Thor and if I had any problems to call her and get so she could get them resolved. The number she gave me is the same one on the Thor website Customer Care section. 877 five zero zero 1020. That number is identified as a number for Dealers but that's what they gave me. I would get on the phone to Thor and forget about Camping World.

I have never taken the MH to a service center and just dropped it off. I always make an appointment and take it in that morning. The day I drop it off is the day they start working on it. If they have to order parts, I take the MH out of the shop and then call, daily if necessary, to track the parts order. When the parts get there I take the MH back on the day they will start working on it again. If it's just sitting in their yard so they can work on it when they have time, I'm really not surprised they don't get to it.

By the way, how far away is the service center from your home. If possible it's always better to go speak to the service manager in person than on the phone. If find people are more responsive when I'm within arms reach of them. If you look like your just about mad enough to reach over the counter and snatch them up by the stacking swivel, so much the better.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I would get on the phone to Thor and forget about Camping World.
Absolutely! The mfg'er is much more interested in your satisfaction than is Camping World or any other dealer service place. I almost ALWAYS communicated with my mfg'er owner relations on warranty issues (and often for other questions) and had to get them involved several times to get service places motivated and on the right track.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Cherylee... been watching your post over in RV.NET and it looks like you have been contacted by GS personnel and also by Thor. Can you update us on your situation with them? Sounds like both are trying to make this right for you.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Hi Cherylee... been watching your post over in RV.NET and it looks like you have been contacted by GS personnel and also by Thor. Can you update us on your situation with them? Sounds like both are trying to make this right for you.

Good luck

Ron
I think we're getting it resolved!

Camping World still hasn't called us about anything.

Thor called this morning and again now. He said that Camping World told him they just finished it and it's ready. I called Camping World for confirmation, but got the answering machine again. We're going tomorrow to pick it up. Bob at Thor gave me a direct phone number to call if we need him. He said I never have to take it back to Camping World again. They have other authorized repair shops or if I need something closer, he can find a local one to GIVE the ok to. CW is over 1/2 hour away. He said CW was given the approval and parts on Jan 10, and he thought the work was done and we had the RV back already. It was supposed to be a quick fix.
It looks like Thor intends to help us. We have someone now who is personally looking at this and will stay in the loop. Looking back at all the trouble, I think that Camping World was the problem. Thor has records of when they approved things, and when they sent parts. I think it just sat at CW until they decided to get around to it.
Maybe they all monitor online groups!
I'm looking forward to getting it back!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #14

Regardless of any applicable lemon laws, the age-old remedy at Common Law focuses upon merchantability.

Merchantable: Salable; of quality and type ordinarily acceptable among vendors and buyers.

An item is deemed merchantable if it is reasonably fit for the ordinary purposes for which such products are manufactured and sold. In general, a seller or manufacturer is required by law to make products of merchantable quality. In the event that the items do not meet with the proper standards, a suit can be brought against the seller or manufacturer by anyone who is injured as a result.

merchantable: a product of a high enough quality to make it fit for sale. To be merchantable an article for sale must be usable for the purpose it is made. It must be of average worth (not necessarily special) in the marketplace and must not be broken, unworkable, damaged, contaminated or flawed.

Tags
camping