RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #1

1990 Thor Pinnacle 280D (28ft) Check Engine Light

My check engine light comes on after driving for about 10 to 15 minutes. Does not come on immediately when starting the engine.
Engine Temperature is not hot when this happens. Everything seems to functiuon alright. Drove for 75 miles yesterday and all worked ok except light was on. Would like to know how to diagnose the check engine light. I have OBD 2 checker but I don't think there is OBD2 on this year and model. Any ifo on this would be greatly appreciated.
Doug

pinebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Doug: since the issue is most likely to be a chassis problem, you may get better results by determining what chassis you have and posting your question in that brand's chassis forum down below. Ed

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #3

Thanks Ed,
It is a Chevrolet chassis.
454 engine.
Doug
Old 09-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinebear View Post
Thanks Ed,
It is a Chevrolet chassis.
454 engine.
Doug
Then you'll find lots of support for your Chevy P32 chassis in the WORKHORSE forum, below.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Doug,

Your chassis does not have the OBD II connection - that didn't show up until 1996 (or later). There is a service connection and a way to jumper the connection and count the flashes of the Check Engine light to see what the error code is. Google it.

Also, even though the coach is a 1990, the chassis could easily be a 1989 or even 1988, so you need to be sure of that as well. I believe that GM went to fuel injection in the 1990 motorhome chassis so if you have a carb the your chassis is earlier.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I read the manufacter sticker on the kick panel under the dash and it says 1990 chev chassis.
And I kinda know about the OBD1 and how to short the a and b terminal on the connecter. I have done that on my 1993 chev slverado pickup but for the life of me I can NOT find the connecter on the MH. I see the big computer box under the dash but can not find a code reader plug in anywhere.
I am replacing the doughnut gaskets in the exhaust right now. Looks like it was never done before and I am ending up drilling out the studs in the exhaust manifold because they have broken off inside. Tried heat and lquid wrench and all that. TOOOO rusty. Will change the oxygen sensor also and maybe thats the check engine light problem. Hoping to get a couple more trips before winter after all this work.
Doug

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take...
but by the moments that take our breath away!"
Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On some of the Fords like mine, the connection up under the doghouse, kinda up near the gas pedal area but inside the doghouse. Might be up under the front hood access area too. Keep looking, you'll find it.

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor