Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #1

2010 42B Montecito cable issues

We have not been able to connect to cable since we bought our unit, we always use our satelite system. We now have an issue with the satelite and cannot connect to cable, any help would be appreciated. Thanks
omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Since no one has attempted to help you I will make some suggestions. Without knowing your exact problem, coach wiring configuration or your level of expertise etc. this is a little difficult.

Start by locating the cable connection on the back of the switch box inside your coach and disconnect it from the back of the box. With the cable end unhooked, using a meter measure between the center wire and the outside of the connector on the cable to see if there is a short. If there is a short the cable ends have a problem or there is a staple or nail stuck through the cable somewhere. If there is no short create your own short then go to the other end of the cable and measure between the center and the outside of the connector again. If you do not measure a short this time then either one of the ends of the cable is bad or there is a break in the cable somewhere. If the test passes remove the short hook up the outside to a known good park cable connection with a known good external cable. Inside use a barrel splice connector which you can get at Radio Shack to hook up known good cable directly to the input connection on the back of the TV. Follow the instructions for your TV to select cable input and search for channels. If this works then the selector box may just be the problem. Basically you just need to break everything down into small tests to eliminate one section at a time.

Or if you are not comfortable with doing the above, beg, borrow a known good cable and run it directly from the cable box through a window and into the back of the TV which will eliminate all in house wiring, then work backwards until you find the problem.

Gawd I read all that and I am not sure I understand it myself. Good luck
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

If it's anything like our Thor Tuscany, there is a switch plate with a button and a green LED. When the green LED is shining, the OTA antenna amplifier is on and the feed to the TV's is from the antenna. When the switch is off and the LED is out, the feed is from the cable connector in the electrical bay outside.

Hopefully yours is like this. Good Luck.
Bago40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2011 Montecito, you should be able to find the switch plate on the back of your entertainment center, push the button and your light should go out and your cable should work. I had a problem with my portable satellite connection in my entertainment center, they are mislabeled. My point here is make sure that you outside connection is not you portable satellite connection. Mine is not labeled. I hope this helps.
fatboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote