Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
For the 2011s it says "solid surface" counter tops (doesn't specify Corian) and lists it as an option for every floorplan. Click "galley" at this link and you'll see what I mean...

(Also, thanks for everyone providing real-time reviews, links, etc. It is really helpful for folks like me who are researching this model!)
Thanks for the link, I now know it was the dealer again who was misleading us. The tops do look very nice but be advised to seal around the sinks and do not leave standing water on them. Ours came with wrinkling around the sink rim that we did not notice right away. We also apply a car wax to ours and will do this often.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UPDATE: Two weeks ago, a bad storm came through central Florida. Some damage around town, but mostly wind and driving rain. The rain found its way into the cab of the coach. I went to get the coach out of storage, and when I started to drive, a gush of water landed in my lap. Not a whole lot, about a cupful. More water came down as I drove. The pseudo-leather above my head had become a water balloon.

We got the coach home, and went to work drying it out. The service department at Orlando RV said, "May is the earliest available." Before I could entertain myself with an onslaught of YouTube, Tweets, Facebook, forum and blog posts, he found an opening three days away. We kept our drying or exuded going until then.

Turns out the seam across the roof where the cab meets the coach had crackled just enough to let water in. They sealed it up, and sealed a few other things around the area, just in case. They got it done pretty quick, and no leaks since.

Moral of store: Check the sealings on your Serrano roofs. Just in case.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #17

Just picked up my 31V on Friday and took it directly to Alum Creek State Park to do a shake down weekend. Lots of rain which found it's way in the top of the driver's side window. I was able to catch it in a pot but now I need to see if the window seal is allowing the rain in or travel back to the dealer 140 miles away to get if fixed...not happy with Thor/Four Winds quality. BTW, when I picked up the unit there was some water in the driver cup holder and figured it was left over from the final cleaning. Conclusion, the window was leaking at the dealership!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #18

Window Leaks on Serrano

Yep. Water in the cupholder. It took us about a year (things are a little dry around here) but we finally got it fixed on one side, and now that we know the fix we're going to have the dealer do the other side.

Have the dealer take the window ALL THE WAY OUT and re-install it, sealing it properly in the process. They tried to get it fixed without removing the window and it didn't work.

We've had the passenger window done and it is fine now (also eliminated a creaking in that area). Then last week it finally rained and we found the same on the driver's side. We'll get that done next.

I can tell you that all the bad initial quality things have been addressed at the point, but it did take almost a year.
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #19

Thanks for the info on removing the window...I returned the coach yesterday to have the leak fixed so I will pass your recommendation along to the dealer.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I'm hoping Thor's new quality control program is going to catch things like this moving forward. So sorry to hear that any of you had to deal with this -- it's just unacceptable.

Thanks so much for posting, however, so the rest of us who are interested in this model have the heads-up and can be proactive in addressing these issues if we still end up buying one in the future.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #21

We love or Serrano V, particularly now that all the bugs seem to have been ironed out. I think the early ones off the line had a lot of teething problems. The last (I think) thing has been getting both front side windows (in cab) removed, resealed, and reinstalled. That stops the "water in cupholder" thing that a couple of people have noticed.

Love the storage, the ride, the 'sporty' handling, the opposed slides that make the living area seem bigger, and the kitchen pull-out island. Not so keen on the small stove, but we had an adapter installed on the propane tank and use a grill most of the time.

After a number of request, I finally received the proper manual for the levelers in PDF form and am willing to share if anyone wants a copy. The one referenced in my original manual doesn't match the one in the coach.

Anyone interested in starting a group for the Serrano? I find that owners are often better sources on info than the factory.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSerrano View Post
We love or Serrano V, particularly now that all the bugs seem to have been ironed out. I think the early ones off the line had a lot of teething problems. The last (I think) thing has been getting both front side windows (in cab) removed, resealed, and reinstalled. That stops the "water in cupholder" thing that a couple of people have noticed.

Love the storage, the ride, the 'sporty' handling, the opposed slides that make the living area seem bigger, and the kitchen pull-out island. Not so keen on the small stove, but we had an adapter installed on the propane tank and use a grill most of the time.

After a number of request, I finally received the proper manual for the levelers in PDF form and am willing to share if anyone wants a copy. The one referenced in my original manual doesn't match the one in the coach.

Anyone interested in starting a group for the Serrano? I find that owners are often better sources on info than the factory.

I also had to chase down the leveler manual from the mfg. and print my own for the coach. After reading your post on the windows I also found large gaps in the sealant on the tops of the other windows that will no doubt leak and cause sidewall problems if not sealed. We also just figured out why there is a valve on the black water tank in addition to the one in the utilities compartment. The 3" drain pipe from the tank to the flush valve holds about 5 gal of fluid so if you add chemical and water to the black water tank most of it goes into this pipe and leaves your tank dry, this allows the tank to fill with no odor control. If no one told you this, you need to close this valve after dumping to prevent this problem. (you will find this valve on the rear of the black water tank in the propane tank compartment on the 31V. If you have AC problems first check out all the Mickey mouse splices from the t-stat that you can access through the filter on the AC unit. Both of mine went south because the splice on the fan wire was faulty and because it was daisy chained to both units neither unit would come on fan or air. This was hard to diagnose all splices (a bunch) were removed and soldered and shrink tubed properly. Also if you need any exterior lighting like the faulty tail light and clearance light I had, contact me I will give you the mfg. contact I have that had new ones to me in two days at no charge under warranty. This beats going through the time consuming and sometimes costly trip to the dealer and leaving your coach while they order the parts. Be aware, the slices on these items are not good either and will have to be redone. By the way the coach main wiring harness looks to be first class work and should cause no problems. Going on 5 months, we really need to get this rig out of the garage and use it soooon!
Such a shame, all of this could have been avoided with a little QC at final assembly. I spent over 25 years in aerospace electronic manufacturing before starting my own business and putting in another 25 years prior to retiring so I know a little about Quality Control.
In the end we love the same features as everyone else who purchased this coach and plan to put a lot of miles on it. Drive safely and keep dry.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Consider if you will joining the Workhorse Chassis Owners Club (WCMC). We are having our East Rally at the Evergreen Campground during the 1st week of August. Come and join us - you're family.

Also don't forget to post in the Workhorse Chassis Owners Forum as well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #24

I looked into the Workhorse club earlier, but got the impression that I had to join FMCA to do that. Is that true?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I looked into the Workhorse club earlier, but got the impression that I had to join FMCA to do that. Is that true?
The Workhorse Chassis Motorhome Club is an FMCA International Chapter just like Freightliner Owners Club (FCOC) and others.

Being a member of the FMCA allows us to have rallies and other events under the protection of FMCA insurance for liability in the event something comes up. That's a good benefit for all the Into Chapters that are members of FMCA.

The short answer is "Yes" you do need a family membership number to belong to the WCMC. The WCMC Rallies that I have either attended or hosted have all been excellent. The last one in the east was at Camp Hatteras and the next one is in the Evergreen Campground in Dundee, OH the site of the 9th iRV2.com National Rally! The WCMC also puts on rallies in the West. Next year ... looks like Texas quite possibly but that has not been confirmed at this point. This might be a combined rally however I am trying to see if doing a 2nd rally in the Huntsville, AL area close to the Huntsville Engine Plant (MaxxForce) plant might be something that we might also want to do.

If you would like to join FMCA you can use my number F290540 as the nominating member.

The 11th iRV2 National Rally is coming up at the Bethpage Campground in Urbanna, VA this fall and this event is ramping up interest from the vendors that are going to play a BIG part in supporting it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #26

Unhappy Serrano 13.5 MPG ????

March 2011 I purchased a 2010 Serrano 31V based in part on the advertised 13.5 MPG. Now that I have 3500 miles I have yet to get better than 10 MPH with an average of 9.3 MPG. I have tried everything to achieve the 13-15 range I have read from other owners with no luck. I have driven on the interstate with no engine driven A/C below 65 MPH for hundreds of miles only to get 10 MPG and with engine driven A/C and got 8.3 MPG. I have not tested with the "ECON" switch engaged because I do not understand under what driving conditions this feature should be used? If this is the best I can expect I spent a ton of money for a diesel engine that get little better than a gas powered RV.

1. No towed car
2. 1/3 water tank
3. Empty holding tanks
4. Average load for two people

Any ideas as to how I can get close to the 13.5 advertised mileages?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
..... I have not tested with the "ECON" switch engaged because I do not understand under what driving conditions this feature should be used? If this is the best I can expect I spent a ton of money for a diesel engine that get little better than a gas powered RV.

1. No towed car
2. 1/3 water tank
3. Empty holding tanks
4. Average load for two people

Any ideas as to how I can get close to the 13.5 advertised mileages?
Here is a thread that should help understand the "economy mode" and when to use it : http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/econo-mode-100678.html
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #28

teething

I have been interested in the serrano since I first heard about it. I have also been watching the quality control issues because I really like the coach and the motor. Yesterday I went to lazy days and drove two units ; the 33 and the 31. First we took out the 33 , or tried too ; the eng check light was on and was making the high pitched warning buzzer. Seems it was in limp mode because it had no power so we turned around and parked it.
Next we went to the 31 ; started it up and got ready to go. The salesman put it in drive and the coach dropped down ; apparently the jacks were down with no lights , buzzers or any warning signals. The jack control panel showed nothing. Alrighty then , we are on our way out the lot and down the highway. Good pickup , more quiet than my 04 adventurer and noticeable torque! Me likey!! When we were close to the lot the overheat symbol came on and we pulled in and parked it.
On the first unit the gen was shaking the whole coach and the roof ac wouldnt come on. Gen worked good on the next unit.
Anyway I'm still looking and was impressed with the motor. Got a line on a 31 in orlando used ; hope all the bugs are worked out! You guys keep posting as I'm taking notes.
anotherone is offline   Reply With Quote