Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #99

]
Elsewhere on their website, there is a PR about them having appointed a new VP for quality control & customer satisfaction. Maybe the "new guy" will make a difference. [/QUOTE] Adam Gudger already talked to him ; waist of time , another do nothing lackey.

He needs to take the bull by the horn and contact every owner of the serrano and tell them they will make it right. Word of mouth can make it sink or swim. I will be waiting. If my wife wins the lotto before the phone call I'm going to have a very big bonfire because I certainly couldnt sell it to anyone I know!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
GUYS, I don't have a dog in this fight, but here is a copy & paste from the THOR website:
We don’t just talk the talk, at Thor Motor Coach we walk the walk. Some of the programs we’ve put in place to ensure our customers are happy include Gold Star Inspection, Rapid Response and Concierge Connection. The Gold Star Inspection requires every coach driven off our complex to pass a detailed 200+ point inspection and road test unlike some of our competitors who only spot check their products. Rapid Response is in place to keep you on the road enjoying your Motorhome. Rapid Response is our commitment to stock the necessary parts to get you back on the road quickly. And rather than assume our customers are happy, we want to ensure our customers are happy so we started Concierge Connection. Every Customer that purchases a Thor Motor Coach receives a personal phone call immediately following their purchase and again after 90 days.
end quote

Elsewhere on their website, there is a PR about them having appointed a new VP for quality control & customer satisfaction. Maybe the "new guy" will make a difference.
I have read this before and it all sounds very good as a "Press Release" but in my experience that is all it is. I have not had any contact with Thor other than to tell me sorry, no warranty on a used coach. My coach had 1800 miles when I purchased it and the warranty began and ended with the original owner. I was not aware until I attempted to claim warranty. This is not customer service this is the lack of...

TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #101

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Adam Gudger already talked to him .......
I'm only trying to help .....from their website:

quote:

2011-11-23
Thor Motor Coach’s Ron Davidson to head up Customer Service

Thor Motor Coach has named Ron Davidson the new Vice President of Quality Control and Customer Service............

end quote

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I'm only trying to help .....from their website:

quote:

2011-11-23
Thor Motor Coach’s Ron Davidson to head up Customer Service

Thor Motor Coach has named Ron Davidson the new Vice President of Quality Control and Customer Service............

end quote

all help is greatly appreciated ; adam gudger is the newly crowned head of diesel sales for thor and he was at the tampa show touting the pallazo.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #103
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I have read this before and it all sounds very good as a "Press Release" but in my experience that is all it is. I have not had any contact with Thor other than to tell me sorry, no warranty on a used coach. My coach had 1800 miles when I purchased it and the warranty began and ended with the original owner. I was not aware until I attempted to claim warranty. This is not customer service this is the lack of...
The Arnolds, Your chassis (power train) {Workhorse} on the other hand is still under warranty I believe out until 2013. Most OEMs offer a 1 year warranty or at least that's all I originally had. Whether or not THOR's responsibilities for the warranty is limited to the original owner should be in writing somewhere. I'm not sure if you spoke to THOR or the dealer however I think they were curt in their comments to you and they should have taken the time and explained the policy. I don't think that anyone would like to get an answer that used coaches are not covered under warranty.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #104
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
all help is greatly appreciated ; adam gudger is the newly crowned head of diesel sales for thor and he was at the Tampa show touting the Palazzo.
Yes he was. I met Adam Grudger at the Tampa Supershow after I took a look at the Serrano motorhomes.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
The Arnolds, Your chassis (power train) {Workhorse} on the other hand is still under warranty I believe out until 2013. Most OEMs offer a 1 year warranty or at least that's all I originally had. Whether or not THOR's responsibilities for the warranty is limited to the original owner should be in writing somewhere. I'm not sure if you spoke to THOR or the dealer however I think they were curt in their comments to you and they should have taken the time and explained the policy. I don't think that anyone would like to get an answer that used coaches are not covered under warranty.
DriVer: As you know Workhorse and Navistar have been helpful with my issues and my warranty claims! I am happy with all the stuff under the hood! All of my comments were directed at Thor and to a lesser degree the dealer. I do not want to paint Workhorse, or any of the other chassis components, engine, transmission, etc with the same brush.
Thor on the other has had real problems with the quality of their workmanship, routing of plumbing, electrical, heating ducts, selection of materials,i.e., countertops and other trim items. On the surface the coach looks nice and I like the layout however the buyer is lead to believe that the quality is higher then what is really there. As an example, the countertops look to be a solid surface material when in fact they are pressboard with some thin covering to look like solid surface material. In my case a bubble appeared, the size of a silver dollar (and growing) on the countertop. The only relief I have is to replace the countertop at my own expense. I would not order one from Thor because I would be getting the same substandard material. I have trim that is cracked in two places above the main TV. I need to disassemble and try to glue it back together or try to replace and try to match the other trim...good luck with that! Draw locks that do not work or fell off. The bolts in the sofa bed were missing or fell off and the frame came apart when I opened it for the first time. The bolts were too short to engage the self-locking feature of the nut. Trip to the hardware store to buy replacements.

DriVer, I could go on but I think you get the idea. Thor can make all the Press Releases and name all the VP's of Quality but that does little to help me or make me feel any better towards Thor.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #106

I concur. The chassis has been fine. Quite impressive, in fact. I'm not getting quite the mileage of others, but we live in the mountains. But Thor's part needs some help. Take your toolbox on every trip. Latest: We were in a pretty breezy place so I decided to tie down the awning a little better and in the process, checked out the mounts on the roof. The awning arms were attached with sheet metal screws (just two, despite four holes). One had already broken and one was on its way. Drilled out and replace with stainless steel bolts with locking nuts. Still getting some water leaks around the windshield seal - working on that. And some condensation from the air conditioners that I've not tracked down quite yet.
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #107

I don't own a Thor coach...but is all this talk about Thor's lack of QC limited to just the Serrano, or is it across the board on all their coaches?

I ask because, at this time, I've tossed out the idea of getting a Class B and am now considering a Palazzo ~ Fleetwood Excursion or a Tiffin Allegro Breeze...

And if this lack of QC is on ALL THOR coaches, then I'll remove the Palazzo from consideration.

Thanks for any feedback!

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #108

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know much about the Palazzo, although we did walk through one at Lazydays here in Tampa and we were not impressed with the layout. Fleetwood Excursion looks pretty cool though and it would be my choice for a "first" diesel experience. Tiffins are also good coaches depending on who you talk too, although that's the same for all models, you either love them or don't love them. Good luck on the search, hope you find what you need.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) View Post
I don't know much about the Palazzo, although we did walk through one at Lazydays here in Tampa and we were not impressed with the layout. Fleetwood Excursion looks pretty cool though and it would be my choice for a "first" diesel experience. Tiffins are also good coaches depending on who you talk too, although that's the same for all models, you either love them or don't love them. Good luck on the search, hope you find what you need.

Thanks for the reply!

I've not yet walked through any of the coaches on my list...just been looking at the various floorplans via the respective manufacturers website(s)...and don't see any issues, as of yet that is, regarding whether or not a certain floor-plan works!

I'm just a little skeptical about all this talk regarding quality control and wanted to know if it's something that is apparent on ALL THOR coaches, or for some reason, just specific to the Serrano...for one reason or another!

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #110
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRVer View Post
Thanks for the reply!
I actually spent some time in a 2012 Thor Palazzo while it was on display from Lazy Days at the FMCA S.E.A. Rally this past February.

You must realize that this rig is not even close to being a mid-line coach. It is definitely an entry level coach and in that niche, it is impressive. The rig looked nice to me.

The Palazzo is sitting on top of of a Freightliner XCS Chassis and is powered by a 300HP, 660 lb/ft Torque - Cummins ISB w a 6 Speed Allison.

At the recent RVIA Exposition in Louisville, the Palazzo won "Best in Show"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9717.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	19997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9719.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	19998  

Name:	IMG_9720.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	19999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9722.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	20000  

Name:	IMG_9724.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	20001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9725.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	20002  

Name:	IMG_9726.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	20003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9727.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	20004  

Name:	IMG_9736.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	20005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9741.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	20006  

Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #111
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRVer View Post
I'm just a little skeptical about all this talk regarding quality control and wanted to know if it's something that is apparent on ALL THOR coaches, or for some reason, just specific to the Serrano...for one reason or another!
Some folks are genuinely in trouble while others only report minor problems that the rest of us would consider to be normal warranty adjustments. My most recent interview with a 2011 Serrano owner told me that he was very pleased with the Workhorse powertrain and the coach had some minor issues that he could live with.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer
Some folks are genuinely in trouble while others only report minor problems that the rest of us would consider to be normal warranty adjustments. My most recent interview with a 2011 Serrano owner told me that he was very pleased with the Workhorse powertrain and the coach had some minor issues that he could live with.
In the beginning we had some issues with the drive train but Navistar was responsive in working through these problem...I give them a thumbs up! We have had some quality issues some due to workmanship and some due to the quality of the materials used in the coach. Reading many posts on this and other sites this is not too unusual for Thor and other coaches in this price range. I must admit I complained about fuel mileage, Thor advertised 13.5 MPG and I seldom got 10. This was somewhat due to my misunderstanding of the overdrive system and the rocker switch on the dash. Once in the correct position two additional speeds, 5 & 6 appeared and available for use. Now my average RPM @ 65 MPH is 1500-1600 v/s 2600 - 2800 RPM. I have not traveled enough miles to verify better fuel mileage or what it would be but I am sure it will be better then 9 or 10 driving around in 4th gear.