Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #113
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I have not traveled enough miles to verify better fuel mileage or what it would be but I am sure it will be better then 9 or 10 driving around in 4th gear.
The Arnolds, Thank you for the feedback.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #114

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, we had a bunch of issues with the Serrano, I'm sure more then most but we love our coach and would buy it again because it fits our needs perfectly. Keep in mind that most of the issues reported on the Serrano were workmanship, not design or chassis issues. Thor coaches are built in different plants by different people so I doubt they will all have the same quality problems. We have talked to several owners who had very few problems and had great dealers who took good care of them. As I have said before most of the problems we had should and could have been taken care of at the dealer level prior to delivery. Once we got past the problems (all annoying but fixable) we could not be happier.
The Workhorse Chassis has been great and we have had no problems with it at all. Our trips seem to always be uphill both ways here in the Southwest. We just returned from our first trip with a toad (Jeep Patriot) on a tow dolly and got 9.84 mpg so how can you beat that!
I'm going to say it again; the issues are magnified immensely by not having a good dealer. Choose your dealer with as much care as the coach and hopefully find one close to you that you trust no matter what brand you buy.

Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #115

Quote:
"...You must realize that this rig is not even close to being a mid-line coach. It is definitely an entry level coach and in that niche, it is impressive!
Driver...thanks for the reply!

Seeing as you indicate this being more of an 'entry coach', what is your take on the Tiffin Allegro Breeze and the new Fleetwood Excursion also being classified as 'entry level coaches?"

I ask only because, from my untrained eye, the specs on the three are quite similar, as are the prices...at least from what the three of four online dealers I've checked out!

As for the pictures...thanks! Appreciate it!

Quote:
"...Reading many posts on this and other sites this is not too unusual for Thor and other coaches in this price range!
@TheArnolds ~ I don't know about you, but if I were to throw down $100,000 dollars (+/-) for a coach, I'd expect as little 'issues' as possible...but than again, the last time I purchased something 'new', (2000 VW Mk4 Jetta), I only paid $19,000 and never had an issue w/it it in the first 3 years of ownership!

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #116

the serrano has issues that are not due to entry level.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #117

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I must admit I complained about fuel mileage, Thor advertised 13.5 MPG and I seldom got 10. This was somewhat due to my misunderstanding of the overdrive system and the rocker switch on the dash. Once in the correct position two additional speeds, 5 & 6 appeared and available for use. Now my average RPM @ 65 MPH is 1500-1600 v/s 2600 - 2800 RPM. I have not traveled enough miles to verify better fuel mileage or what it would be but I am sure it will be better then 9 or 10 driving around in 4th gear.
I am impressed that you got 9 or 10 running in 4th gear. I have a 2011 Serrano 31x, usually tow a 1999 Jeep Wrangler (~3,300lbs), set the cruise at 65 mph on the highway, and use the OD Off modes and ECON mode as I feel necessary for the driving conditions. I live, and so far, have only RV'd in Texas so mountains are not an issue. The biggest issue is wind that most of the time is less than 20 MPH. I don't have a calcuation of the rolling average MPG yet, but I measure each tank full and after about 6,000 miles driven in the past 9 months, I'd estimate that I'm averaging around 9 MPG at best. I don't worry too much about the mileage but have wondered how I could do better. My best has only been ~11 MPG without the toad and with a tail wind. Planning to make a 3100 mile trip to Wisconsin and back this June, so we'll see how that goes.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by waustx View Post
I am impressed that you got 9 or 10 running in 4th gear. I have a 2011 Serrano 31x, usually tow a 1999 Jeep Wrangler (~3,300lbs), set the cruise at 65 mph on the highway, and use the OD Off modes and ECON mode as I feel necessary for the driving conditions. I live, and so far, have only RV'd in Texas so mountains are not an issue. The biggest issue is wind that most of the time is less than 20 MPH. I don't have a calcuation of the rolling average MPG yet, but I measure each tank full and after about 6,000 miles driven in the past 9 months, I'd estimate that I'm averaging around 9 MPG at best. I don't worry too much about the mileage but have wondered how I could do better. My best has only been ~11 MPG without the toad and with a tail wind. Planning to make a 3100 mile trip to Wisconsin and back this June, so we'll see how that goes.
You are going to have to twist your arm and slow down ; not pleasant but doable. I have performed the sacrifice and made 60 my limit and real world driving average 12.5 consistently between TN and central FL. With what your towing your doing ok ; just slow down , yuck!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #119

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
You are going to have to twist your arm and slow down ; not pleasant but doable. I have performed the sacrifice and made 60 my limit and real world driving average 12.5 consistently between TN and central FL. With what your towing your doing ok ; just slow down , yuck!
I was afraid of that! With the Texas highway speed limit at 75, I'm concerned with being run over. Drove at 70 when I first picked it up and lowered to 65 with no noticeable fuel economy improvement. Sounds like 60 may be the magic number.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #120

This past weekend was to be the big test to see what kind of fuel mileage I would get using 5th and 6th gears but I had to take it directly to the shop for a blown turbo hose so i did not fill up. As soon as it is out of the shop I will fill it up and check. Looking at the fuel gage v/s miles driven I can say I am getting better mileage.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #121

This past weekend was to be the big test to see what kind of fuel mileage I would get using 5th and 6th gears but I had to take it directly to the shop for a blown turbo hose so i did not fill up. As soon as it is out of the shop I will fill it up and check. Looking at the fuel gage v/s miles driven I can say I am getting better mileage.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #122

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to norlfran
Just came back from Wash Dc 2500 mile trip. averaged about 10.75 mpg pulling a jeep wrangler. Unit performed flawlessly
Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by norlfran View Post
Just came back from Wash Dc 2500 mile trip. averaged about 10.75 mpg pulling a jeep wrangler. Unit performed flawlessly
I will pick up the MH from the shop this afternoon and fill the tank to see how I did improving the fuel mileage using 5th and 6th gears. I will be departing for a long weekend Thursday afternoon so I will get another opportunity to check the fuel mileage. Lets hope that the turbo hoses stay connected during this trip
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #124
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I will pick up the MH from the shop this afternoon and fill the tank to see how I did improving the fuel mileage using 5th and 6th gears. I will be departing for a long weekend Thursday afternoon so I will get another opportunity to check the fuel mileage. Lets hope that the turbo hoses stay connected during this trip
Jack, Keeping your vehicle in 6th is challenging I understand because the final drive ratio is .61:1 . If any wind or other load demanding situation occurs, your transmission could spend a lot of time in 5th. This is not a bad thing BTW because you always want to have enough energy to move you down the road efficiently. I would rather be in 5th than lugging in 6th.

When you have the wind at your back and the conditions are favorable, being in 6th gear and watching the MPGs increment upward is a nice feeling!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #125

[QUOTE=DriVer;1163197]I would rather be in 5th than lugging in 6th.

Lugging is 6th? What would be considered a low RPM, i.e., lugging. When I am in 6th gear @ 60-65 MPH my RPM is in the 1400-1500 range. Is this range acceptable? Normally the transmission downshifts to 5th when I drop below57-58 MPH and the RPM comes back up to the 1500 range. This is without a Toad and average internal load.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #126
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
[QUOTE=TheArnolds;1163273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I would rather be in 5th than lugging in 6th.

Lugging is 6th?
No it isn't. Lugging is not providing enough RPM to maintain a certain speed. If you get a full head-of wind of say 45-50 MPH or more or if you are under a load as if you were climbing a grade this would cause a reduction in RPM which then would call for a downshift.

Under certain conditions like crossing the open range in South Dakota, you can expect to never see 6th gear.

Quote:
What would be considered a low RPM, i.e., lugging.
Any speed that the transmission's computer (TCM) and the engine's computer (ECM) are not happy about. Both computers have an ongoing dialog about "conditions" and "load." At the end of the day they will favor throttle position and they will attempt to maintain speed if possible. If the machine needs to grab a gear to do it, that's what it'll do. (rather than stay in the same gear and lug) Lugging comes from the use of manual transmissions where the driver isn't in the right gear. Tractors will be seen belching smoke - I'm sure you have seen this.