RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paradise, Ca.
Posts: 435
2012 Serrano 31 V owners

Hi, we looking at a 2012 Serrano 31 V that has less then 4,000 miles on it. It is on consignment, the asking price is $105,000.00. If it has been actually "used" I found no evidence of it. The interior is show room, the plastic is still on the carpet, exterior is show room too.

We like the coach, I like the having a diesel vs a gas engine. Any input regarding the Serrano Motor Home would be appreciated. A few of my concerns are, Thor's response to warranty issues, the performance of the diesel engine, the chassis (load capabilities) and handling.

Thanks
__________________

1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 16,054
Blog Entries: 1
We have a 2011 Serrano 31X, love it and are F/T with it. Had a handful of early life issues that were mostly supplier issues, not Thor.

The mileage started at about 9.5, but is now 11+ towing a Wrangler. It is getting more torque as it gets broke in. We have 14K miles now.

The chassis has been grand, and the Maxxforce 7 with Allison is tops! It is not air ride, but is comfortable for us.

The front diesel is not as quiet as a pusher, of course, but is about 1/3 the noise of our previous gassers. We can talk in a normal tone!

Best wishes,
Dave
__________________

__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 16,054
Blog Entries: 1
BTW, all warranty issues were handled promptly and properly. They were done by our dealer.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 16,054
Blog Entries: 1
One more:

I had the front end aligned after I had a working load. I recommend it.
For me it is one hand on the wheel, easy-peasy.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
HHg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 413
Hate to do it.....but I've got to give my 2-cents. We owned a 2011 31V. It was a [moderator edit]! Everytime we took it out, we had something go wrong, as a fact after we picked it up from the dealer on the way home, we hadn't gone 40 miles and the AC started blowing hot (we bought it new). I will say the support staff was great, as a fact, I had so many problems, I was on a first name basis and recognized their voices. All I would say is "Caveat Emptor". One of the support guys was nice enough to tell me to not buy a Tuscany while we were talking about me upgrading to a larger unit.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 16,054
Blog Entries: 1
HHg, it is good to hear all sides!

This forum is where it all hangs out when it comes to initital new unit problems. You hear of mostly problems here, and few accolades; the nature of iRV2!

It demonstrates that there is not one manufacturer that does not have multiple early-life problems on some units, and an occasional horror stories.

I had good cars and bad cars, and the same for boats and such. I think a broad brush stroke of "that one was bad, therefore..." is not fair to any industry or model as a whole.

My rig had a handful of cosmetic issues, and one bad connector on the inverter. All were properly addressed.

All new rigs have issues! I hope that bugs have been worked out on the rig the OP is considering.

Dave
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
HHg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 413
Dave, I couldn't agree more. I feel obligated to provide my 2 cents worth on the Serrano to as you say, provide other points of view. Take care

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paradise, Ca.
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
HHg, it is good to hear all sides!

This forum is where it all hangs out when it comes to initital new unit problems. You hear of mostly problems here, and few accolades; the nature of iRV2!

It demonstrates that there is not one manufacturer that does not have multiple early-life problems on some units, and an occasional horror stories.

I had good cars and bad cars, and the same for boats and such. I think a broad brush stroke of "that one was bad, therefore..." is not fair to any industry or model as a whole.

My rig had a handful of cosmetic issues, and one bad connector on the inverter. All were properly addressed.

All new rigs have issues! I hope that bugs have been worked out on the rig the OP is considering.

Dave
I think we have all had the same experiences, things happen and how the dealer and the manufacturer handle the issues are very important, though shoddy workmanship is the bottom line. All the information I can get from first hand experience is the best way I know of to help me make more of an informed decision on what to buy.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paradise, Ca.
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Hate to do it.....but I've got to give my 2-cents. We owned a 2011 31V. It was a [moderator edit]! Everytime we took it out, we had something go wrong, as a fact after we picked it up from the dealer on the way home, we hadn't gone 40 miles and the AC started blowing hot (we bought it new). I will say the support staff was great, as a fact, I had so many problems, I was on a first name basis and recognized their voices. All I would say is "Caveat Emptor". One of the support guys was nice enough to tell me to not buy a Tuscany while we were talking about me upgrading to a larger unit.

Hhg
We currently have a TT and it is a Thor product. Without going into detail I was happy with the way Thor took care of the few things that went wrong with the trailer. So, based on my experience with Thor, I am a satisfied customer but that was 10 years ago so how would you rate them now? The 31V I am looking at ( I have not dissected it yet) looks like it is pretty well built, but I am inexperienced with what to look for in a motorhome beyond what you would see in a trailer. Were you unhappy with the quality, the workmanship, the engine, trans, electrical, what ever, I am just beginning to learn about motorhomes so I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 16,054
Blog Entries: 1
The Serrano is much up-featured from an entry level A, and the layout is well designed, and in my case well executed. For me, the build is fine, the drive train is grand. Time for you to find out if you agree and if this is the "one".

If you go to the Thor website you can see the specs and manuals.

Can you talk to the owner being it is on consignment? Why are they selling? If you can and the result is satisfactory, visit the unit.

Check out every nook and cranny. Take lots of time. Pretend you are living in it: eating, watching TV, cooking, lay on the bed, etc. See if it has enough storage for you. Drive it at all speeds and terrain. Set it up, levelers and slides. I did all of the above and more!

Best wishes!
Dave
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Denniscw's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 414
We have a 31x and love it. virtually trouble free except for a small leak at the A/C unit which was repaired by simply tightening the mounting screws, no damage. We di have the front end aligned after we loaded and weighted the unit and Thor paid the bill.
Denniscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
anotherone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: brooksville fl
Posts: 687
we had the 31x and it was incredibly poor. Had to get rid of it. We bought it with 6000 mi on it and did not realize there was a reason the previous owner traded it so soon. Thor does not warranty for 2nd owner !!!!!!!! The extended warranty company said the water leaks were bad engineering and they would not cover them.
If this dealer says the previous owner wanted a bigger rig run away ; it was dumped!
__________________
2016 f150 4x4, 2 pia horses! 2019 phaeton 40 ih and 2018 goldwing dct on a triple d lift and loader
anotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 16,054
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
we had the 31x and it was incredibly poor. Had to get rid of it. We bought it with 6000 mi on it and did not realize there was a reason the previous owner traded it so soon. Thor does not warranty for 2nd owner !!!!!!!! The extended warranty company said the water leaks were bad engineering and they would not cover them.
If this dealer says the previous owner wanted a bigger rig run away ; it was dumped!
Sorry you had issues.
2nd buyer no wty is standard.
Some folks actually opt for larger.
Many low miles rigs are bought and loved.
I would not let an overgeneralization scare me.
If a rig is properly inspected, the odds of success go way up.
Just sayin.....
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
anotherone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: brooksville fl
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Sorry you had issues.
2nd buyer no wty is standard.
Some folks actually opt for larger.
Many low miles rigs are bought and loved.
I would not let an overgeneralization scare me.
If a rig is properly inspected, the odds of success go way up.
Just sayin.....
An inspection wont show improper engineering ; 5 slideout water leaks etc. Just do a search on my saga. And yes I understand almost every manufacturer has had a nightmare unit. Our unit was so bad it must have been the prototype. The roof ac vibrated the whole coach but wasnt noticeable until later sitting in a campsite. The list went on. Met the new diesel mgr at the tampa show and he asked for my list ; never heard from him again. Got a call from bill service rep at factory and he said 2nd owner seeya. 1 year old coach.
To the op , try to find the previous owner ; this could be a good unit ; you never know! Also serranos made for 2.5 years and stopped. Why??? They get great fuel mileage and are easy to handle?????
__________________

__________________
2016 f150 4x4, 2 pia horses! 2019 phaeton 40 ih and 2018 goldwing dct on a triple d lift and loader
anotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
serrano



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.