Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
2013 Challenger DT Slides

We purchased a 2013 37 DT, and can't get the slide noise under control. I expect some noise on rough road, etc, but to have head aches after driving a few hours from the slides grinding, popping, rattling. Going back to dealer shop for third time to see what else can be done. My question to other 2013 37 DT owners is your ride quite with occasional slide noise when driving on rough pavement. This is our first Motor Home, and I am very surprised with the amount of noise we are having. We use the slide locks on the dinette side and Kitchen side, and when the slides are moved in, and the locks placed, the ride seems normal for a while, then everything seems to loosen up, and the noise returns. We have had rollers replaced, and tried other solutions suggested by the dealer and Thor, and all has failed. Love then MH and floor plan, but we are disappointed so far with the noise. Are we the only ones with this issue?
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We are looking at a 2013 Challenger DT and when I test drove it the slides made noise. I told the dealer I didn't want this coach but another. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a problem. I will test drive the one they bring in for me to see if the slides are noisy on this one as well. I currently have a 2003 Damon Challenger with very quite slides. I love the new DT, layou and ride but don't think I could put up with the slide noise either. Be interested to know if this is an issue with other DT owners before I purchase.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

Got our DT last June and have had nothing but problems with the slides. The past year it has spent more time at the dealer getting repaired then we have had it at home. The "fix" they had last year was supposed to solve the problem but we took our first trip since it was fixed last week and it was worse than ever.

But it gets even better when we were pulling the slides in to head home the front passenger side slide got stuck and all the parts on the slide failed and ripped up our floor. So again its at the dealer getting fixed. They ordered all new parts for the slide and a whole new floor. Dropped it off on the 1st of June and have a trip planned for June 17th lets see if they move their tails or we will have to cancel yet another trip because of this slide issue.

Don't wait too long to get it fixed or your lose your floor to...Chris
CAndretta25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Well after picking our 37DT up Tuesday and driving almost 300 mile home my slide is noisy. We have a trip planned next week and our first stop was Elkhart to meet up with friends, so I guess Thor here I come. Talked to a Plazzo owner that is having slide problems and he has an appoitment at Thor on the 8 th of July. He told me that others that have had the repair completed at Thor are very satisfied. Thor seems to be putting in a heavier motor and stainless steel supports. Not sure but I will see.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT
Old 06-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ours makes a loud creaky noise while driving. Got it in jan. this year and have had it back repeatedly for rain water pouring in edge of slide behind driver ...soaks the carpet! It is 37 dt also
Thortogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for the reply. Please keep us posted on your visit to Thor and what you learn regarding your slides. I sent them a video today of what ours is doing, and expect to have some answers and plan to correct it (not rig it) on Monday. My dealer has been very proactive working on the issue with Thor, and I have hopes that this can get completed by June 21st.....have reservations for a 15 day, 4000 mile trip.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Up here in Elkhart, the factory service couldn't get us in so they sent us to Total Value RV for repairs to slide. They had to use shimes in the slide to stop the noise. They are sending us to have the Ford chassis inspected as well. Driving from dealer to campground the slide was pretty quite. Hopefully it is fixed. Leaving tomorrow heading to Mt Rushmore so I'll get a good test on it to make sure the fix holds.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Well as I posted earlier, I had my slide repaired at a dealer recommended by Thor in Elkhart. They shimmed the slide and adjusted the rollers. They also sent me to a Ford dealer that handles RV's to have my chassis inspected. The inspection revealed that the leaf spring shackel bushings are pushing out and need to be replaced. They have to order and we will return to Elkhart after our caravan to get it repaired. We did leave Elkhart for our way out to Yellowstone for our caravan, and yest the slide is still noisy. It is almost as bad as before, so after the chassis repair I'll be at the THOR service area to have them take care of it. I have looked up the NC lemon law and if after 4 reasonable attempts to repair the same issue without success, I will ask for a new coach. We love the ride and floor plan, but the noise is too much. I post update at end of July when we return to Elkhart.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Challenger Slides

Bob, I will know by the end of the day if my 2013 37DT slide repair is successful. This is our 5th, and last attempt in the last 8 weeks to get this corrected. Had a technician fly to Dallas last week, and replace rollers and other adjustments, and after 50 miles the repair failed, again. Parts are supposed to be sent overnight to the dealer, and they will install and test again today. These rollers are supposed to be all steel, not a combination of Aluminum and Steel, and are not supposed to fail. There are probably some other details they will replace, the the steel rollers at least make some sense to me and what may be causing the problem. If the Aluminum/Steel combination roller keeps failing (I assume the weight of the slides is bending, or crushing them enough to allow the slide to move or loosen up, and make the noise I know that you and I are hearing). Thor will have to get this problem solved - too many units being sold, and if they don't, they are headed the wrong direction.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Tom I am waiting on your report. Except for the noise the slide made (mainly over bumps etc) the coach rode extrememly well. I hope you fix works, that way when I go back to Elkhart after our trip I can have Thor complete the same fix. I plan on going to Thor and making them make time for me. If your fix works give me a call please, 910-389-8865. I'm at the Des Moines West KOA for the night. Good luck buddy.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
By the way Tom, our coaches look like twins. They are good looking coaches, I sure hope they get it fixed.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Slides

Still working on the slides as of 5:30. Parts arrived around 1 pm. I don't expect to hear until tomorrow. I did get some images of the work in progress. We do like our 37DT (that is why we bought it), and hope this is the fix. If this does not work, I am returning the MH and will find another brand. (have done much research now). This has been a very disappointing experience, and it appears that the whole MH industry is facing similar problems. If many motor homes are having this slide problem, I would expect to see more complaints posted. We simply want one that works properly. Been disappointed in the communication of what the problem is, and what the plan to fix is. We spend over 100K on this unit, and I do need to know what is going on. Don't want free things, or extra attention, just solutions.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Slide Update

Spoke to the dealer a couple times today, and they test drove my unit two times today, both needing minor adjustments. They will test drive again tomorrow and if all appears correct, I may pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I am pleased with the level of activity and support that I am seeing lately, and know that the dealer and Thor are working hard to get it resolved. If I do get to pick it up, we may take it to Colorado for a week. Looking forward to putting my steering stabilizer and rear trac bar on, and taking our toad to Breckenridge for a week.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Bob, picked up my unit today, and loaded heading to Colorado Springs then to Breckenridge. Will be on road for about 10 days. Drove 150 miles today, and have had no problems with slide noise. I will give you more detail and images of what was performed. It was a nice drive to where I am tonight. I put my Steer Safe steering stabilizer, and blue ox rear track bar on today before I let, and what a nice drive, even in the wind. It appears the slide noise is corrected. Love the MH. Will talk to you soon. Mark.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold