RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
2013 Thor ACE vs 2015 Thor ACE

Hello everyone. I'm amazed at how informational this site is mad great all of you are at sharing such great stories and experiences. I am brand new to RV'ing (if that's a phrase I can use) and my family and I are looking to dive in head first.

I won't bore you with the details of why we decided on the Thor ace, but sleeping capacity and price easily put it as our choice. I've read on here that Thor is a great first RV and most of the feedback has been extremely positive about Thor. My biggest concern is that I'm going to be raked over the coals regarding the final sales price. I understand that this is an issue everyone faces and it's very situationally dependent, but I was hoping to get a feel from the experts on this site as to what you think a Fair price would be for the following two options:

2013 Thor ACE 30.1 w/ 14k miles. It was used as a rental RV for the dealership selling it. Very minor wear and tear on both the inside and outside. It's listed at $69995.

The other model is a brand new 2015 Thor ace 30.1 w/ 24 miles. It's brand new and is sold by camping world which seams to be mentioned a lot on here. It's listed at $82850.

I'm not necessarily asking anyone for a specific price, but merely thoughts on if the price is in the ballpark of "normal". I think the used RV is priced a bit high when compared to the new one. How much can I expect dealers to budge when negotiating, if at all. Do dealers tend to lower the price if we pay the full price in cash?

I've read the posts on new vs used RVs and I really don't have a preference either way.

I'm excited to hear everyone's thoughts and my family is stoked to get into a RV that fits our needs and join this awesome community.

Thank you in advance for your I for and insight.

ISURV8

ISURV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #2

Both units are priced to deal. It is my impression that dealers get a kickback on financing so you get a better price with a loan. On out last one we covered the taxes and costs plus around 10% then financed the rest and paid it off a year later. At the time it was a better deal than cash.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hello, I am new here but having a Sprinter for two years has brought me to this forum many times. We are now also considering a larger RV in the 30-34 ft. range and comparing used vs. new.

Not much advice that I can give except after all the reading and hunting for the right rig, factory warranty or at least a thorough check by a private maintenance company is a must.

I know....driving off the lot "losses" bother me too, with a new one. There are many things to consider like Tire wear, past history of a used RV, was it sold for that reason? And what changes have been made on the new one that will gain resale value later...for instance smaller windows, decor, etc.

Our Itasca Sprinter was a year old, and we have not had any problems, it had 22,000 mi. . Regarding resale now, it drops quite a bit in the third or fourth year, so all that savings to begin with diminishes a bit.

I like the Thors line, and think they really are tops with style and buyers needs. Long term quality I do not know.
This will be an interesting post to return to. Good luck!
Oh forgot one thing, yes lower your offer on the 2013
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Please give more info on both units. 2015 ACE for 82 is good if it has full body paint. It is not so good if it is white. 2013 for 69? Little high if it has full body paint. MSRP-25-27% on an entry level new ACE.
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Bdhicks

Expanded info:

Condition: Pre-Owned
Selling Price: $69,995.00
Year: 2013
Make: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.1
Color: Brown & Beige Full Body Paint
Engine: Ford Triton
Mileage: 14000
Sleeps: 7
Slideouts: 2
Air Conditioners: 1
Awnings: 1
Generator: 1
Length: 30' 0"
Horse-Power: 362
Engine Size: V10

Vehicle Details
Price 82500
Year: 2015 ace 30.1
Sleeps 7
Type: New
Class: Class A - Gas
Make: THOR MOTOR COACH
Model: ACE
Length: 31'
Mileage: 7
Engine size v10
Slide outs 2
Awnings 1
Full body paint
Indoor/outdoor tv

I'm in love with both models and I'm digging the price/ quality combo put together by Thor

Thx again for your help

ISURV8
ISURV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
The 2015 is a good price, might get a little more off, the 2013 seams just a little high. 5k maybe. Toss up? I like new, but the used one don't sound bad either. Good Luck with your decision.
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #7

go on the website rvdirect you can get a quote there I checked on one there and the 30.1 one was around 720000.00

Smbuddy46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor