RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #1

2016 Ace 29.3 Black Water Tank Capacity

We have a 2016 Ace 29.3. There are only two of us. We NEVER come close to filling the Gray Water Tank BUT are only getting four or five days before the gauge on the Black Water Tank shows four dots. Maybe only two on the Gray. Can I only expect 4-5 days on the Black Water tank? What has your experience been with this particular model.

Please compare only this model because others have higher capacities.

Thanks!

BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #2

Anybody?

Old 09-06-2017, 01:02 AM   #3

The factory sensors are known to be crappy. If you can dump and flush the tank very well that is where I would start. Then put 10-15 gallons of hot water in it plus a generous dose of Dawn and Pinesol and take that puppy for a ride, then dump that. I dumped mine in my pasture and had a beautiful mound of pure white suds. If it shows empty, use a bucket and put water in it keeping up with the gallons and keep check on the sensors to see when they come on. Mine show filling up quickly and then take forever to go from showing full to being full. Also make sure you can get the amount of water into it as listed by capacity. Also after the thorough cleaning, visually inspect as much as possible.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
Anybody?

We have the same issue Bob. Tank indicators show full quickly. I suspect the tank is not full when the sensors indicate that. When we get home from current trip I plan to do a volume check like ThePowells detailed above.

I have looked at the tank several times. It is very shallow for a large portion of the tank. I may change my tank and commode piping to hopefully eliminate teepee issues and gain more holding volume. May even install a dreaded macerator pump if needed.

One last modification,
Old 09-06-2017, 04:20 AM   #5

Check to see if the bath sink is plumed to the black tank my on my 29.2 is .i can turn off the water and look down in my tank to see how much sh.. is in there
churd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:59 AM   #6

On my 30.1 the bathroom sink is plumbed into the black tank, so it fills up pretty fast.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #7

We now try to avoid using the bathroom sink. After two days, the sensor still only shows one "dot".... it is early to say, but I suspect the sink to be the cause of the tank filling so quickly. The shower does not drain into the black water tank and we have yet to fill the gray tank between dumps. Has anyone changed their bathroom sink to drain into the gray tank? If so, please share as many details as possible.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #8

I HAD an ace with same issues, glad it's gone..2013...
shuthrbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #9

We dumped and now avoid running water in the bathroom sink whenever possible. As a result, day four and only ONE dot registers on the black water tank. Has anyone been able to reroute the bathroom sink to drain into the grey water tank? If so, details would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
We dumped and now avoid running water in the bathroom sink whenever possible. As a result, day four and only ONE dot registers on the black water tank. Has anyone been able to reroute the bathroom sink to drain into the grey water tank? If so, details would be appreciated.

Factory didn't route bathroom sink to grey tank and they built the rig.

2 train of thoughts
1) Black tank has less issues when liquid to solids ratio is high..bathroom sink provides more water
2)Difficult to route bathroom sink drain line to grey tank due to location and obstructions/obstacles

Change your 'habits' when using bathroom sink.
Turn water on and then back off when brushing teeth, washing face, shaving etc. VS letting it RUN while doing bathroom sink chores.
Use a sink stopper and only fill sink with enough water to get the job done.

Lot easier to learn new sink habits then tear rig apart and attempt re-routing of drain line to grey tank
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #11

We have avoided using the bathroom sink as much as possible, washing our hands etc. in the kitchen sink. We dumped last Wednesday, six nights ago and it looks like we will get another day or two before having to dump again. When using the bathroom sink we try to use as little water as possible. It makes a huge difference. Of course, when in a full service campground it makes no difference as we can dump anytime.

Tags
ace, tank, water