Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #1

2016 Hurricane 29M - what can be powered by built-in inverter

Just picked up my new 2016 Hurricane 29M motor home and trying to figure out all the systems (despite 3 hours not everything was covered during the PDI). When I purchased the MH the specs started it came with a Xantrex 1000 watt inverter. The delivered unit has an inverter panel inside the coach which seems to indicate its 1800 watts but I'm not 100% sure. I understand the specs change often and the manufacturers don't update their websites concurrently. I can't find the actual inverter anywhere.

Any ideas how I can confirm if the unit in my coach is actually the 1800 watt version (at the time of purchase the 1800 watt inverters went into the next step up coaches)?

What can I actually power with the built-in inverter? When I've been on battery power none of the outlets work except those powering the TV's. I was hoping to be able to power my coffee maker with needing to start the generator which the 1800 watt inverter should be able to easily handle.

Finally, is it worthwhile to add an advanced battery monitor to better monitor battery status? The panel lists battery Volts and amps but not sure how accurate this is.
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Disconnect your shore power. Turn on the inverter. Check outlets one by one with outlet checker. Don't press the test button on the outlet checker - if you do the GFCI on the Xantrex will trip and you will have to find it and push it's reset button.

Chances are the outlets powering your TV and electronics bay where a Sat Rcvr would go will be hot. A few others too.

If your Xantrex is like mine it has a 120 volt duplex outlet with GFCI built right into it and it can be used to provide inverted power in the bay where it's located. I use it on mine to power a pancake air compressor and a 120 volt impact tool for RV maintenance tasks.

Chances are the kitchen (including microwave) and bath outlets will not be hot and be on separate circuit breakers. For sure your Air Cond and AC powered shore power to 12 volt converter-charger will not be hot.

1000 Watts will power a small drip coffee maker like a Mr. Coffee. Larger ones and Keurigs draw more than 1000 and will likely not work.

One way to discover if you have an inverter bigger than 1000 Watts would be to plug in a portable heater rated 1400 watts and see what happens. If inverter can carry the 1400 watt load, it won't run very long before your house batteries die but it would answer the question.

The Xantrex has a shut down feature that will shut off the inverter when the battery stored charge drops below a threshold, it is likely some where in the 20-40 % left range.

If your panel lists volts you can google a battery voltage vs. stored charge table that will give you aproximate information. You can discover how accurate it is by comparing to a separate portable volt meter that is known to be reasonably accurate across the house batteries.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

Randy, thanks for all the inputs. I did as suggested and found which outlets are powered by the inverter, namely, all three tv plugs, plug for AV distribution box, plug for outside kitchen refrigerator and dash plug for passenger desk. I guess I'll need to use an extension cord to use the coffeemaker with the inverter. At least I can watch tv on battery power with no hassles. I confirmed the inverter is 1800 watts as plugging in a 900 watt toaster did not kick in the warning beep which would have happened on the 1000 watt inverter.

For the life of me I can't locate where Thor placed the inverter. The battery bank is below my dinette and it wasn't under either seat. I looked at the carriage underside and can't see anywhere within 5 feet that it could be. The Xantrex manual says the cable from the battery to the inverter shouldn't be more than 5 feet. Will need to call the factory.
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, inverter, power