Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 05:19 AM   #1

2017 Miramar 35.2 ONE YEAR REVIEW

Thought I would include this as there are not too many posts/threads concerning the MIRAMAR.

Our reasoning at the time of purchase to go with the Miramar over the HURRICANE/WINDSPORT and CHALLENGER was a combination of available Floorplans (at the time the 35.2 was unique to the MIRAMAR), I think for 2018 the WINDSPORT/HURRICAN has a very similar 34R. I think I would still go with the MIRAMAR due to interior materials, exterior storage (access doors), possible chassis upgrades (would have to check and see if the 2018 WIND/HURR have upgraded the F53 chassis over the 2017's.

This is mostly copied from another post.

Purchased first week of March 2017, here is the first run report.

The Good:
-Driving dynamics are as good as hoped, if not a little better. There is some sway, not unexpected, if anything, a little better than expected. Will complete the CHF when convenient. Power delivery was perfectly acceptable. Transmission performed very well and seemed very well matched to the tune of the V-10.
-Floorplan is just what we thought, spacious when slides deployed, a little tight with slides closed.
-Storage- Inside storage adequate for family of 4. Outside storage accepted all we had with two compartments still empty and nothing in the pass throughs, so lots of room left there.

The "Bad":
-water heater was still by-passed. Had to remove access cover under bed and open supply/return lines.
-Entry door latch needs adjusting. have to "slam" door to get latch to catch.
-bottom of screen door rattled like crazy (fixed with rubber shims)
-Front window drop down screen would lightly bang against A-pillar cover constantly while driving in the up position. fixed with adhesive felt bumpers.
-Leveler control. This COULD be user error. When I try to "auto-level" the front levelers drop, raise the front tires off the ground and that's it...I have to manually control it to get it right.
-One storage bay door latch will stay in open position (no spring back). Have to push it "in" then close door.
-One storage bay door strut broke off at the coach frame connection (looks like corrosion, no others were the same)
-Top cover for "disappearing" TV does not fit flush.
-Cant get air into the rear inner tires. Something to do with the "new" style extenders they put on. Was told I need to use a combo air chuck/pressure gauge to fill and check tires as the same time....and TPMS sensors WONT work. ( I don't like this, I was planning on getting a TPMS sensor kit and the REAR INNER TIRES are the ones I am most concerned with)

The UGLY:
-GFCI would "pop" every time I plugged ANYTHING into outlet over kitchen countertop.

-The REALLY UGLY:
Kitchen sink drain line disconnected under the washer/dryer cabinet. There is a flex hose that goes from outside wall of slide to a riser coming up from floor. The flex hose disconnected from the slide hard pipe fixture, this allowed water to flow freely from the sink drain to the outside from the inside the slide. No water entered the interior BUT it sucked. I reattached to hose with some rubber pipe adhesive..... thought all was good. Pulled the slide in and noticed the flex hose connections come right together (hard pipe on slide wall and hard pipe riser coming up from floor) pinching the flex pipe at the connections pretty severely and allowed a new water leak, again, water went outside (thankfully). This WILL NOT WORK. This is why the hose came off in the first place apparently. This is the one I am most disappointed in as I was worried about water lines, drain line, gas lines, and electrical lines inside a slide the moves...I was right to be concerned.
Unit goes BACK in next Monday to have a washer/dryer installed and those drain lines in the same area re-worked. I requested to get a good look at it all when complete as Im pretty familiar with it now and DO NOT want that to happen again. don't know if glue is the answer for the flex hose connections...

Overall, we still like it. Get these things fixed and keep an eye on things as I become more and more familiar with it.

Coming up on the end of year one. I'm going to post up the repair orders we had that I consider resultant from the PDI and 1st years "teething pains".

Things we did that were not covered by warranty were:
CHF- front sway bar only for now.
Washer Dryer (combo unit) Install.
Ford recall for "crank bolt".

After everything above, we are looking forward to the start of YEAR 2, first big run will be from MD to LA for spring break in APRIL.
stvdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 01:42 AM   #2

Any update? Thinking about a Windsport 24R which is similar.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Any update? Thinking about a Windsport 24R which is similar.
Do you mean the 34R? If so, yeah, they are almost identical as far as the coach goes.

Only additional problems were induced by the winterization job the dealership did last year. They over pressurized the system with AIR and blew out a fitting on the toilet and left water in the shower hose and water filter, which both broke. Not a RV specific issue.

The engine had a ignition/injector issue that was worked out by Ford.

So far, it has be a "good" coach. We LOVE the floorplan.

The first year is all about working out the kinks/bugs. Finding what works or doesn't. 2nd year the number of issues dropped dramatically as the coach settles in.

Only thing I would do differently going in would be to think of the initial delivery as a shakedown more than acceptance. I would have a trip planned immediately after or during purchase and a return trip to dealer for anything I find. I would make the trip be 2-3 days, and run EVERYTHING, try everything, and NOTE EVERYTHING for the dealer to fix. There WILL be something.
stvdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:55 AM   #4

Typo, should have been 34R. Good advice on the shakedown run and planned return to dealer for bug fixes. Cost is factor for me between the Miramar and Windsport. In addition to cost, the Miramar is too tall to fit in my storage shed. Raising the shed would cost another 5-6K if I do it myself, big job. Will need to extend the shed another 5' with either Miramar or Windsport. When building an RV storage shed, you can never make it too big.

We are going to look at a 34R tomorrow at a dealer about 50 miles away.

Thanks for the info.