Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
My hat is off th 5Star and their EXCELLENT customer service!!!

The original tune I received did not cure my shifting problems and let the cruise control drift to far before correcting. I called 5Star and talked to a super nice guy who actually listened to my concerns. I was sent a new custom tune by email. I will be the first to say I'm not the most computer literate person, so called again. Got another SUPER nice guy who linked in with my computer and assisted, or should say did, the upload of my new tune to the device. Not only did the person do my download he stayed on the line while I went to the MH and started the download, just to be sure I got it going correctly. I haven't had a chance to road test yet, cruddy weather, hope to try it this weekend.

I don't know who owns 5Star but they can certainly be proud of their employees!!! 5Star had EARNED my business, and my respect!!!
You did the 5 Star tune on a 2017 six speed ? I'm interested to read your results as I've done so much reading on the new six speed already being a big improvement over the five speed !
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #30

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdd001 View Post
5 star,

How do you get the IRV2 group price. I would like to order the tune for my 2015 F53 Hurricane 22,000 chassis .
Please let me know .
Thank you
You can give us a call anytime or use the link below for the group price.

Ford IRV2 Group Buy with The 5 Star Tune - 5 Star Tuning
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #31

Thanks
I sent in my order yesterday.
Looking forward to installing .
rdd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdd001 View Post
Thanks
I sent in my order yesterday.
Looking forward to installing .
Let me know how it goes.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #33

I will .
I have a short trip (450 miles) first week of April
rdd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Here are my observations after 1800 miles with the 5 Star tune installed:

First off the cabin is significantly quieter. There are no more 5th to 3rd downshifts when going up inclines or overpasses.

At 60 MPH the engine purrs around 1800 RPM on flat or not steep grade climbs- no downshifts occur. The tranny stays in 5th with the Torque Converter locked due to the increased HP and Torque combined with the changes in the shift strategy. Before the 5 Star the engine would downshift to 3rd gear on inclines like these resulting in 3200 RPM and lots of noise.
At 60 MPH a steeper incline will downshift to 4th at around 2400 RPM, still quiet compared to 3200 in 3rd

At 60 MPH a mountain climb will then downshift to 3rd gear at 3200 RPM…this is when I pop it out of cruise control because I don’t want the screaming shift to 2nd gear.

At this point I let speed bleed off on the big hills to 55 MPH at 3500 where it will pull most of the big climbs, down to 45 MPH at the worst case but still in 3rd.

The Motorhome now Upshifts before cresting a hill, where it used to hold lower gear well beyond the top and sometimes had to be coached to upshift.

Overall I feel Improved throttle Response and more power at any time, no more limp pedal.
When accelerating on ramps it now uses all 5 gears instead of 4, resulting in smoother and quieter acceleration.

My driving has been consistent at 60 to 62 MPH and fuel economy increased by .7 MPG or 8.1 % (averaged over 1800 miles from Palm Springs over to Mesa and home to Victoria BC. My numbers are 7.6 MPG (US gal) or 9 MPG (CDN gal). A good deal of these miles were climbing to high desert at Tehachapi and the mountains in northern California and Oregon.

An 8% increase in fuel economy for my 5000 miles this year would translate to over $150 USD based on this year’s fuel prices… The financial payback on the $450 tuner would be about three years.
The shifting enhancements quieter ride result in less stress for me and those benefits are immeasurable and already paid for....Thank You 5 Star
Thanks for the post, best 5 Star review I have read. Most reviews are "gut" calls. Like "It seems to shifts much better" or "gets better mileage". I appreciate the data and detail. I have completed over 50 modifications to my coach but have yet to add the 5 Star. I now plan to install the 5 Star based on shifting improvement alone that you describe. The power and mileage increases are additional benefits.

Thanks again
Old 03-17-2017, 04:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Thanks for the post, best 5 Star review I have read. Most reviews are "gut" calls. Like "It seems to shifts much better" or "gets better mileage". I appreciate the data and detail. I have completed over 50 modifications to my coach but have yet to add the 5 Star. I now plan to install the 5 Star based on shifting improvement alone that you describe. The power and mileage increases are additional benefits.

Thanks again
Happy to help but please note my correction a few post lower indicating my fuel economy improvement was over 4% not 8%....I had an error in my spreadsheet formulas. The shifting improvements are indeed the best feature of the 5 Star tune and well worth the cost on their own basis.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Happy to help but please note my correction a few post lower indicating my fuel economy improvement was over 4% not 8%....I had an error in my spreadsheet formulas. The shifting improvements are indeed the best feature of the 5 Star tune and well worth the cost on their own basis.

I saw your repost on mileage. Even 4% is good. Even one penny per mile savings will come close to paying for the 5S Tune over my intended use of the coach.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:41 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdave View Post
My hat is off th 5Star and their EXCELLENT customer service!!!

The original tune I received did not cure my shifting problems and let the cruise control drift to far before correcting. I called 5Star and talked to a super nice guy who actually listened to my concerns. I was sent a new custom tune by email. I will be the first to say I'm not the most computer literate person, so called again. Got another SUPER nice guy who linked in with my computer and assisted, or should say did, the upload of my new tune to the device. Not only did the person do my download he stayed on the line while I went to the MH and started the download, just to be sure I got it going correctly. I haven't had a chance to road test yet, cruddy weather, hope to try it this weekend.

I don't know who owns 5Star but they can certainly be proud of their employees!!! 5Star had EARNED my business, and my respect!!!
Soonerdave, please let us know how the 5Star improves the 6 speed. I have been watching the reviews, but most are on the 4 and 5 speed transmissions. Thanks for taking the plunge and reporting back to us.
I am very interested in adding the 5Star tuner to our coach. We have 9500 miles since May and leaving next Friday for another 2200 mile trip. If I stay 2500 rpm (around 65) my MPG is around 8. If I go 70 (2800 rpm) I drop to 6.5. The one thing I do not want to loose is the engine holding the coach back when I brake.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
My 2017 Challenger 37TB has lower Hp numbers and Torque numers than the 2016 models. Anyone know why and what will the tuner bring the numbers up to?
bill3797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3797 View Post
My 2017 Challenger 37TB has lower Hp numbers and Torque numers than the 2016 models. Anyone know why and what will the tuner bring the numbers up to?
Call 5Star and ask, super nice people. 843-536-1244
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:47 AM   #40

I have one for sale in Classifieds if you want to save a few dollars.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:09 AM   #41

Jayco Owners Club
Installed in. In our 2016 Jayco Greyhawk. What a great difference! Before we could hardly hear each other talk. Much quieter. Down shifting is much much better. Doesn't seem to correct the down shifting when using cruise control, but I have to call and find out if that is just a tweet that needs to be done. Mileage increased by 1MPG. Highly recommend it.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:18 PM   #42

Jayco shows your 2016 Greyhalk has a 5 speed V10, your results are compatible with my observations for my V10 5 speed. The biggest difference is the downshifts from 5 to 4 instead of 5 to 3. Indeed much quieter. I have to take mine out of cc on large climbs or it will scream to maintain speed... I just let the speed bleed off and maintain a comfortable rpm with a quiet cabin
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, ford, problems