RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 630
I just ordered mine.
Was on the fence. But with the group buy, I figured give it a shot.
__________________

__________________
2015 Thor ACE EVO30.1

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Polyian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I just ordered mine.
Was on the fence. But with the group buy, I figured give it a shot.
You won't regret your decision. I took months to get past the price tag and I would never go back to stock... it's just a much better driving experience. My DW noticed within a couple of miles.
__________________

Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 80
Can I assume the Five Star program makes the E 450 five speed comparable to the six speed ?
__________________
2017 FR Forester 3011DS (on order)
2010 Forestriver Flagstaff 26RL (sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #46
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 42
I also have been considering the 5 star tune but my coach is still under warranty and I don't want to have any problems with Ford should I need to make a claim.

I have heard both ways on whether it's ok to make the upgrade. 5star told me it was ok but Ford says no.

If the 5 star tune is so much better than the factory tune, why would Ford not make that the standard? It doesn't appear that it will do any harm---or will it?
1sttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Polyian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimer View Post
I also have been considering the 5 star tune but my coach is still under warranty and I don't want to have any problems with Ford should I need to make a claim.

I have heard both ways on whether it's ok to make the upgrade. 5star told me it was ok but Ford says no.

If the 5 star tune is so much better than the factory tune, why would Ford not make that the standard? It doesn't appear that it will do any harm---or will it?
There are hundreds of posts in multiple threads regarding 5 star impacts...no negative reports in the several years of postings.

As far as warranty goes, you don't tell Ford you used it and you remove the tune to take it in for any Ford service...it takes 10 or 15 minutes to restore the computer to the factory tune with no residue to indicate it was ever there. I'm still under warranty but I don't expect to visit a Ford dealer anytime soon, oil and lube I get elsewhere.
Ford will say No to any modification to any part of the chassis while it's under warranty. I would too if I was running Ford, they can't be expected to warranty modifications to their design.
__________________
2013 Newmar BayStar Sport 2901
5 Star Tune, EEZ TPMS
Toad: 2018 Corolla IM 6 speed, Roadmaster Tow Equipment
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #48
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
CrimeCrunchr & Steeljag, thank you both for your responses! Makes a huge difference in the 4-speed, 5-speed & 6- speed transmission.

Adam1219, There a ton of pros for using our tune. You'll have more power, improved torque, vastly improved shifting without compromising your factory reliability. The install only takes around 5-7 minutes. Install is also as simply as connecting and selecting program. Once programming has begun the tuner will take over and finish the process for you. With the tuner you will still have your full factory warranty. If the device ever fails there are ways to reset the coach to factory and retune with a different tuner. Many will echo the value of the tune. If you're close to our location we can always demo the tune in your vehicle for you.
5 Star, you say that your tune for the V10 will not affect the full factory warranty. When I called Ford headquarters (not just a Ford dealer), they stated that it "would" affect the warranty. What do you have in writing that states your position. If you have something can it be obtained for any future conflict with Ford?
1sttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #49
KC
Senior Member
 
KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Brooklyn MI
Posts: 358
I can't really add any more other than to say, its well worth the price. We love ours.

KC
__________________
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Trav'ler Direct TV dish, Progressive surge protected, Magna Shield covers, RV SnapPad, 5 star, and On the go Water softener.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
5star's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimer View Post
5 Star, you say that your tune for the V10 will not affect the full factory warranty. When I called Ford headquarters (not just a Ford dealer), they stated that it "would" affect the warranty. What do you have in writing that states your position. If you have something can it be obtained for any future conflict with Ford?
That we do 1sttimer. In addition to documents we've linked and posted before the most concrete document is that of the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975. This act also applies to any non-factory spec tire (different weight or ply), steering stabilizer, handing fix, etc.

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.
If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...l-warranty-law
__________________
chris@5startuning.com 843-536-1244
5 Star Tuning Site
Reader's Choice Awards
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
5star's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
I can't really add any more other than to say, its well worth the price. We love ours.

KC
Thank you KC! We appreciate your support!
__________________
chris@5startuning.com 843-536-1244
5 Star Tuning Site
Reader's Choice Awards
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
5star's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
There are hundreds of posts in multiple threads regarding 5 star impacts...no negative reports in the several years of postings.

As far as warranty goes, you don't tell Ford you used it and you remove the tune to take it in for any Ford service...it takes 10 or 15 minutes to restore the computer to the factory tune with no residue to indicate it was ever there. I'm still under warranty but I don't expect to visit a Ford dealer anytime soon, oil and lube I get elsewhere.
Ford will say No to any modification to any part of the chassis while it's under warranty. I would too if I was running Ford, they can't be expected to warranty modifications to their design.
Thank you for the support Polyian! In the 14+ years of tuning these coaches in stock form, with mods or even those that are overloaded.... we have not had a single powertrain issue. Don't have any plans of starting anytime soon.

From a dealer perspective, quality parts will yield quality results! That is why so many Ford dealers offer Roush, Ford Performance and other tune/aftermarket products. We've all after some combination of performance, drivability and economy.
__________________
chris@5startuning.com 843-536-1244
5 Star Tuning Site
Reader's Choice Awards
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
That we do 1sttimer. In addition to documents we've linked and posted before the most concrete document is that of the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975. This act also applies to any non-factory spec tire (different weight or ply), steering stabilizer, handing fix, etc.

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.
If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...l-warranty-law
5 Star, thanks for the info. I don't doubt what you have written, however, if a manufacturer or dealer decides to void the warranty because of an aftermarket addition --- in this case a 5 Star tune --- we're talking about a considerable headache to fight the denial. It may even require hiring legal help.

Having said that, I am still interested in your product and will probably buy and install it. The constant downshifting and resultant noise we experienced last (first) trip is enough to possibly take the chance.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the reply.
1sttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 706
We've installed the tune in 2 each V10 powered motorhomes. The first install (for a number of reasons) had very little affect. Called 5 Star and they without hesitation refunded my purchase $s. Felt so comfortable with the 5 Star team - that we purchased and reinstalled the tune on our '15 Thor Challenger. After 31,000 miles, we wouldn't be without it. Got a small improvement in MPG but the biggest improvements are holding CC on hills and acceleration on ramps. Mind you, its still weighs in at about 13 tons with the toad and isn't a sports car but a huge difference.

Best thing is that 5 Star understands and works with its customer making 5 Star Tune a 5 gold star operation.
__________________
US Army Retired - loving it in our Challenger 37TB.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
5star's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimer View Post
5 Star, thanks for the info. I don't doubt what you have written, however, if a manufacturer or dealer decides to void the warranty because of an aftermarket addition --- in this case a 5 Star tune --- we're talking about a considerable headache to fight the denial. It may even require hiring legal help.

Having said that, I am still interested in your product and will probably buy and install it. The constant downshifting and resultant noise we experienced last (first) trip is enough to possibly take the chance.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the reply.
You're very welcome! Happy to put that together for you. Many dealerships do stand behind quality products without issue. What you have stated is also very true. If the corporation ever decided they would wish to deny support legally, the only one that would win in the end would be lawyers.

When you're ready we can assist in making your coach much more enjoyable to drive and can vastly reduce the factory shifting woes. If I can further help in anyway let me know.
__________________
chris@5startuning.com 843-536-1244
5 Star Tuning Site
Reader's Choice Awards
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
5star's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
We've installed the tune in 2 each V10 powered motorhomes. The first install (for a number of reasons) had very little affect. Called 5 Star and they without hesitation refunded my purchase $s. Felt so comfortable with the 5 Star team - that we purchased and reinstalled the tune on our '15 Thor Challenger. After 31,000 miles, we wouldn't be without it. Got a small improvement in MPG but the biggest improvements are holding CC on hills and acceleration on ramps. Mind you, its still weighs in at about 13 tons with the toad and isn't a sports car but a huge difference.

Best thing is that 5 Star understands and works with its customer making 5 Star Tune a 5 gold star operation.
bigben, Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We're happy to read the last 31,000 (and counting) miles have been enjoyable! Always happy to offer our support for our customers from start to finish on all of our offerings!
__________________

__________________
chris@5startuning.com 843-536-1244
5 Star Tuning Site
Reader's Choice Awards
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ems, ford, problems



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford V10 and 5 Star Tuning smokeeater Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 20 12-12-2016 07:52 PM
5 Star Tuning of PCM on Ford V10 Brakeman48 Class A Motorhome Discussions 48 12-30-2015 10:28 AM
Ford V-10 Tuning richmain Class C Motorhome Discussions 18 09-02-2014 09:39 PM
5 Star Tuning...any problems? dwaugh10 Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 10 09-23-2013 05:06 PM
Phase 1 Ford F150 Eco Boost Tuning 5star Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 2 06-17-2012 01:57 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×