RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
A.C.E. 30.1 Electrical Problems

I currently have no 110 nor 12V to my 2014 ACE 30.1. The Harris batteries crapped out from sitting at the dealership plugged in for who knows how long; then sitting at a repair center for 7 more weeks getting Thor's poor manufacturing/design issues fixed. I replaced the batteries today, but still no 12V. When I plugged it in to shore power, I got a little spark at the plug, then had no shore power, nor 12V. I reset my 30A house breaker, and 110 came back.

In checking things out, found a couple blown 12V fuses at the panel under the bed, replaced them. Also found blown 7.5A fuse at the rear of the Jensen 12V TV. When I replaced that fuse, everything; 110, 12V went out. I tried firing up the generator, but no 12V to it. Started the engine. It ran for about a minute, then stopped. Restarted and was okay. Then was able to run the genny to get the bedroom slide back in ( with the engine running by the way). As the slide finished coming in, the genny shut down as if it was under extreme load, and now no 12V to it again. So here I sit, no shore power, no genny, no 12V. Any help anyone has is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rvpapaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You had to replace one year old batteries?
Did you just replace your batteries? Did you connect them correctly, Did you replace 2 -6 volt batteries with 2 12 volt? or vice versa.

Anyway, it sounds like the Jensen tv fuse is causing some problems, pull that fuse for now, until you get your 110 and 12 volt problem figured out.

My battery Control Center (BCC) has a 50 amp DC circuit breaker that has a small button on the side of it to reset. When it tripped I lost all 12 volt from the batteries. But on shore power or generator, my converter put out 12 volts and everything worked.

Also, check your generator, it has circuit breakers on it also, that might have tripped.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpapaw View Post
The Harris batteries crapped out from sitting at the dealership plugged in for who knows how long; then sitting at a repair center for 7 more weeks........
Leaving it plugged in DOES NOT hurt the batteries! Mine has been plugged in almost 24/7 while in storage over the past 2 years and my batteries are fine!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Mgscott & H3ohio; the batteries went dry and failed. I've been able to use the coach exactly 4 times since purchase in July. It's been in for warranty work after that, then parked at home, not connected to shore power. Apparently, the batteries weren't serviced prior to delivery, nor during the nearly 2 months it was at the repair center. When I discovered they were dry, I tried refilling and recharging. One battery blew the vent cap off; the other was bubbling and visibly gassing, so I replaced them yesterday with 27DC Interstate deep cycle batteries, wired correctly. That's when I started having multiple other issues.

Oddly, I do have 110 to the microwave, but that's all. I've reset all coach breakers and the breaker for my 30A plug at home multiple times. I have nothing. There's also a "reset" switch on the wall next to the batteries, connected to the battery ground terminal, that I've reset twice. When I start the engine, it runs for about a minute, then that switch opens, engine shuts down. The engine will restart, then run fine. The lack of shore power has me totally stumped. I'm thinking it's the ATS or the converter.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #5

If it was a problem with the ATS you wouldn't have any 110 power at all in the coach. Sound like you have a serious short somewhere in your system, if it were me I'd take the panel off the breaker box and check that you don't have any loose connections. If the microwave breaker has power all the rest should also.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

All I can say is wow and I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I can't even believe that you had to pay for new batteries if they went dry while at a repair facility.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have 50 amp service, with 2 lines into the MH, then the microwave, and electric hot water heater, and rear Air conditioner are most likely wired on Line 2, while the rest of the motorhome is wired to line 1. This how it is on my MH.

You can tell how it is wired on your MH by looking at the breaker panel, every other breaker is on Line 1 and every other breaker is on L2. (L1,L2,L1,L2,...)

Anyway, it sounds like you have a problem with only line 1. Not line 2. But, if you are using an adapter, for 30 amp or 20 amp, they are tied together.

Remove power first, then I would take the cover off and check all of the breaker connections, white wire connections, and ground wire connections. They tend to vibrate loose.

Then turn them all off, then one by one turn them back on, to see which circuit is causing the problem.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
If you have 50 amp service, with 2 lines into the MH, then the microwave, and electric hot water heater, and rear Air conditioner are most likely wired on Line 2, while the rest of the motorhome is wired to line 1. This how it is on my MH.

You can tell how it is wired on your MH by looking at the breaker panel, every other breaker is on Line 1 and every other breaker is on L2.
I believe all ACE models are 30 amp service, this is why it doesn't make any sense that the microwave has power but nothing else does??
Old 12-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
To everyone responding to my thread; thanks for all the help. As it turns out, looks like in my initial attempts to diagnose the problem, the 2 fuses that control the converter/charger and the auto transfer switch blew. Replaced both; now everything seems to be working as it should, except for the Jensen dash radio/camera unit. Anyone know where the fuse is located for the unit on a 30.1? Thanks again for all your help!

Tags
electrical