Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #1

ACE 29.1 house batteries not charging

Removed the 12 volt battery and installed 2 six volt golf cart batteries in series. During the install I reversed a cable and a spark occurred.
The batteries show 12.6 on the volt meter when connected to shore power. It should be 13 or 14 volts. I' m thinking I blew fuses in the power converter box.
I found a 5100 series relay box but no fuses. Can anyone help. Where is the power converter box.
iker211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Three things to check. In the Battery compartment, there is a large circuit breaker up on the side. The main line from the batteries connects to it and it is the most likely to have tripped. It slides 90 degrees and is not that obvious. Second, there is a circuit breaker on the power distribution center in the engine compartment (top right in the 29.2). It is a small round reset "button" to push in (you have to remove the cover first to get to it). And lastly, the house breaker right inside the door may need to be cycled.

If all else fails, call the Thor help line and they will stay on the phone and help you locate each of these (but please wait until Monday during normal working hours unless this is an emergency).
Old 01-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

Thanks so much for the info.
I've done the latter 2 (reset button and door switch) will look for the slide on the breaker inside the battery compartment.
Can't thank you enough for the info.

Iker211
Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Three things to check. In the Battery compartment, there is a large circuit breaker up on the side. The main line from the batteries connects to it and it is the most likely to have tripped. It slides 90 degrees and is not that obvious. Second, there is a circuit breaker on the power distribution center in the engine compartment (top right in the 29.2). It is a small round reset "button" to push in (you have to remove the cover first to get to it). And lastly, the house breaker right inside the door may need to be cycled. If all else fails, call the Thor help line and they will stay on the phone and help you locate each of these (but please wait until Monday during normal working hours unless this is an emergency).
Reset the circuit breaker in the battery compartment.
Batteries are charging at 13.6 everything working.
Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #5

I think this might be my next upgrade, what brand of battery did you go with? I have been looking at the Trojans, just dropped 6 of them in my golf cart and it go me thinking about the house batteries... Anyone who I have talked to who has done this really raves about how long they last dry camping. Might be worth it this summer.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
6v Batteries are on my upgrade list as well. Anyone have any comments?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

I bought mine at SAMs Club.
Big difference from 12 volt battery.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Replaced my original 12V with 4 6V olf cart style about a year ago.
Bought all 4 at Costco. Price is about 1/3 of Trojans and warrenty is much longer. If one goes out someday there are Costco's all over and warrenty is good at any Costco. I looked into construction of various different 6V Golf cart batteries and didn't see how there could be much difference between different manufactuers as all 6V golf cart batteries have 3 plates inside of the same type of materials and of the same dimensions: height, width and thickness. The acid medium inside is virtually the same with all manufactuers as well. The outside case colors are different, while most are black, Trojans are red. Maybe that's why they charge so much more ?