RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #1

ACE 29.2 generator runs, but no 120v power to coach

Perhaps someone else has had this problem. Shore power works fine. But no genset power. There is a small icon flashing in the generator indicator in the coach. Hard to tell, but it looks like a a squared-off hourglass. Any help would be appreciated! Thor says take it to a dealer...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Perhaps someone else has had this problem. Shore power works fine. But no genset power. There is a small icon flashing in the generator indicator in the coach. Hard to tell, but it looks like a a squared-off hourglass. Any help would be appreciated! Thor says take it to a dealer...
Check the circuit breaker on the generator, I had a similar problem and a simple reset on the breaker did hte trick. The breaker was behind the green comer one hte far left side if I remember.

Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Reset the circuit breaker at the generator. Is there an outlet on the generator you can test for voltage? If you have voltage there, the next thing that could be faulty would be your auto transfer switch. I would guess you have one instead of having to plug the shore cord into an outlet that connects the generator to the shore cord?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #4

Thanks, tried that.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Reset the circuit breaker at the generator. Is there an outlet on the generator you can test for voltage? If you have voltage there, the next thing that could be faulty would be your auto transfer switch. I would guess you have one instead of having to plug the shore cord into an outlet that connects the generator to the shore cord?

I have tried the reset switch, but haven't had a chance to try the auto transfer switch. It's located under the bed, I believe. I'll do that next.
I was also hoping someone had an idea what the flashing "hourglass" icon means.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
...I was also hoping someone had an idea what the flashing "hourglass" icon means.
You haven't said what generator you have, but if you don't have the owner's manual for it I'm sure it's available for download at the manufacturer's website. It's should explain the switches and lights, might even tell you how to read the error codes given off by the controller.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #7

The Thor Ace will most likely have a Cummins/Onan KY series 4000 watt generator. The generator will not stay running and shutdown with an error code if it's not producing any AC voltage. Since shore power works ok, the problem is either at the breaker on the front of the generator or at the transfer switch (if so equipped) in the coach. Once you pull the cover on the transfer switch check for loose/burnt wiring at the contactor. It's also possible the solenoid/coil has failed.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
The Thor Ace will most likely have a Cummins/Onan KY series 4000 watt generator. The generator will not stay running and shutdown with an error code if it's not producing any AC voltage. Since shore power works ok, the problem is either at the breaker on the front of the generator or at the transfer switch (if so equipped) in the coach. Once you pull the cover on the transfer switch check for loose/burnt wiring at the contactor. It's also possible the solenoid/coil has failed.

You're correct about the model, thanks. There is no error code, just the hourglass icon. I had already tried the breaker on the genset. I just opened the transfer switch box. The best I could tell there was no power coming in from the genset, using a voltmeter. I could find no outlet at the genny to test the voltage there. We've been on the road for 10 days so I've had limited time to check on this. I think the key is the hourglass icon - it has to mean something! I'll contact a local Cummins/Onan distributor to decode the icon when we get back.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #9

In case anyone is wondering what the hourglass icon is for, it simply means the genny is running. Took the rig in to Cummins/Onan and they charged me $170 to tell me nothing is wrong with the genny -it must be a coach problem.
On the way to Onan the dash a/c and vents stopped working so I'll have to check that out next.

Tags
generator, power