Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Ace 29.3 slide issue - help

We have always been careful to level our coach before extending the slide. Recently the slide seemed to struggle for the first foot for so, and then seemed to work ok. Today it struggled, then stopped. I retracted it and tried again and this time it went out but sounded like something was binding, making weird sounds. We always let the slide amp out, both when extending or retracting. There are three or four silver plates on the bottom of the slide, and a few weeks ago I noticed one of them was slightly dented in and scratched, but the slide seemed to work ok at that time. Someone told me to see if there was any debris around the rollers etc. I am not sure how to check for these things. Does anyone out there have any idea exactly how to check for debris etc. in the roller section of the slide out? Thank you in advance. Bob
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 06:15 AM   #2

I have not had to work on the slide, yet. A couple of 29.3 owners have posted comments about the bent roller plate. On ours it is the plate to the rear of the rear axle which is under the furnace/refer wardrobe area. Mine has bent so bad the screws have partially pulled out.

You can see the rollers when the slide is out by cramming your face to the floor and lifting the rubber sweep under the front edge of the slide. The rollers are mounted facing up against the plates on the slide, would not expect debris to get there very easily. Can probably tell if any are damaged though.

There are two or three access plates under the sofa that allow access to some guide pins. As I recall, you can see outside with the plates removed. May be some issue there that is obstructing movement.

The short wall on the slide between the sofa and driver's seat was binding on the coach floor as my slide was closing or opening for about 6" each way. Made quite a loud squeal/binding sound. Replaced this wall with one with more gap at floor when replacing the sofa with dual recliners. Solved that problem. Before I replaced the wall I would spray WD40 on the floor where it was binding, worked for a week or so then had to repeat spray.

You can check your gear tracks for metal shavings or deformation when the slide is open. When possible, be plugged in or generator running when operating slide.

Lube the motors and mounts frequently.

Some troubleshooting info:

Lippert Components have a lot of videos that may help and their customer service is good:

https://www.lci1.com/
Old 08-06-2018, 12:23 AM   #3

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Autel-Di...FUZIDAod1W4KXg

These are great for multiple uses in tight places. Ours always had a "catch" when extending the slide. When I would first start extending, it would slow down and the top would then pop out a little and then it was fine, then bringing it back in, it was fine then would dip when finishing. I thought this was normal and had no issues with it and thought it was a safety to help prevent the slide from shifting out. While at the factory, I showed to James, the mechanic working on our coach. He smiled and at the end of the day, no catch. The plates had been installed 1 inch off which was causing that.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #4

Wow! So what did they do then?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
Wow! So what did they do then?
The thing to do would be to remove the rack gear strip, fill the screw holes in the slide wall with silicone sealant (Dicor?) and reinstall the rack gear strip in the correct location.

This strikes me as a manufacturing problem that could be corrected with more CNC operations done when the wall material is cut from stock goods. Since it's being cut and trimmed with a computer controlled router, why not plunge route the mounting holes, too? Make it easier for the assembly line folks to get it in the right place the first time.
Solo_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Bob
Before I bring it the slide I always wipe the floor and under the seal with a swiffer wipe or baby wipes. I also wipe the rubber seal down with baby powder like rv geeks recommend. See below
How To Maintain RV Slide-Out Seals - TheRVgeeks
Hope this helps
Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemate1 View Post
Bob
Before I bring it the slide I always wipe the floor and under the seal with a swiffer wipe or baby wipes. I also wipe the rubber seal down with baby powder like rv geeks recommend. See below
How To Maintain RV Slide-Out Seals - TheRVgeeks
Hope this helps
Have you noticed the cabinets are about 1/4 inch from the floor when extended but pretty close to zero (not quite) when retracted? Is there a way to raise the rollers slightly?
Old 08-10-2018, 03:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
Have you noticed the cabinets are about 1/4 inch from the floor when extended but pretty close to zero (not quite) when retracted? Is there a way to raise the rollers slightly?

The rollers on mine are mounted on wood blocks (shims) that are secured to the coach floor. There may be another way, but appears to me that if you want to adjust roller height or replace bent roller plates, the slide would have to be removed or over extended to the point of being almost completely out.

There is no adjustment mechanism that I can see.

Tags
ace, slide