Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

ACE 30.1 maiden voyage!

Our family took delivery of our 30.1 on April 1! We set out Friday afternoon for an overnighter close by just to get out. Spent time learning everything. The kids love it. Daughter gets the overhead, son has inflatable mattress in front of couch(prefer not using couch or dinette as sleeping areas. Overall we are very pleased with our choice and the functionality of the 30.1
Two issues were found. Wife wanted me to put an additional bead of silicon in the shower, and the outside shower's hot/cold water lines are reversed.
One thing I'd like to note though is she sure wanders a lot. I'm hoping to get the "cheap Handling fix" done next week and sure hope that improves the wander. We usually log 10-15k miles a year, and I'm thinking they will be tiring miles if it does not improve. Have not had her up above 65 mph or on the interstate yet with the semi's. I don't feel any shake but she seems to need constant correction, could make for some long 12 hour days.
We're not sure what we'll name her, either "Dream Weaver" or "Ethel"
Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the Forum! You will have loads of adventures exploring both. We have '12 ACE 29.2 and haven't noticed any wander or play in the steering. We have done the CHF and really noticed a difference in handling otherwise. Try it before anything else.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Wife wanted me to put an additional bead of silicon in the shower,
Was that the bottom where the pan meets the surround wall of the shower. Ours was strange when we got it, it is siliconed on one side of the shower in tha area, but not the other. Our dealer explained that the pan goes up high on the wall then the surround comes over the top of it.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
Was that the bottom where the pan meets the surround wall of the shower. Ours was strange when we got it, it is siliconed on one side of the shower in tha area, but not the other. Our dealer explained that the pan goes up high on the wall then the surround comes over the top of it.
Our dealer told us the same thing. I said great put a bead of silicone around the bottom of the pan and while you are doing that seal the top too. They did. I know I feel better as water is an enemy in walls of a motor home. Being the nut that I am I did a bead around both sinks an the backsplash area, now I feel better about splashes from grandchildren and clumsy grandmothers like
(me)
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

That sounds good to me. A little silicon never hurt.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Congratulations on your new unit. We love ours. I'm sure you'll have many happy days.

We're also going to do the CHF when I get "a round tuit," but I did notice something about the "wander." I was following my wife who was driving ACE in a gusty (20-30 mph) crosswind and she said she was nervous because the unit was wandering around in the lane. Funny thing is, from the back, the unit was rock solid and never moved an inch either way. I'm wondering if the crosswinds were imparting a "lean" to the coach body, which created a sensation of wandering, even though the vehicle itself was tracking straight?

I'm still going to do the CHF because everyone seems to like it and I'd prefer not to have the sensation of wandering, even if I'm not. But watching the unit track true in pretty strong crosswinds made me feel a lot better.

Skip
SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
I thought that very odd on our '13 29.2 also. So, me being me, I siliconed the rest. Better safe than in for water repairs!
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
You are not doing yourself any favors by sealing the bottom of the shower walls where they meet the pan. Your actually making a problem.

How does the water get out from behind your walls if the bottom of the walls are sealed? Water vary rarely goes up walls or up hill, it typically comes down walls or down hill. When you seal the bottoms of shower walls, the water stays trapped, then begins to mold.

I see this happen a lot in shower applications. The first thing out of someone's mouth is well is saw the gap and it was not sealed so I sealed it. Water will get behind your walls, its impossible to stop, but if it has a way out, it will eventually run out and dry up, if trapped, it just turns to mold.

Ask yourself this, do you seal the weep holes on the bottoms of your windows? Of course not. Do you seal the weep holes on the outsides of your house if you have masonry walls? Of course not.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote