Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

ACE - Air Conditioner for BEDROOM

With 90 - 100+ temps outside and FULL sun all day long, the 13,500 BTU air conditioner that came with our coach will not keep up.

Outside temps were at or above 95 and the inside temps were around 85.

I intend on moving the 13,500 BTU unit to the bedroom and purchasing a new 15,000 BTU for the main cabin. I found specs on a few units that pull about 14.5 AMPS for a new 15,000 BTU unit. I have no idea what the current AC unit draws, but I hope it isn't more than 14.5 amps.

With a 30 AMP service in the ACE, I'm sure there is no way to run both 15,000 and 13,500 unit at the same time for very long. I'll be resetting the main breaker constantly. (or burn stuff up) Plus, the existing 30 AMP generator will not be able to run both.

I've read several posts on this forum about using the main cabin 15,000 BTU unit on the generator and simply using an Aux 20amp circuit at the camp site to run the bedroom AC unit. I'm certainly considering that option, but I'm also considering upgrading to 50AMP. This would include a new 50AMP generator. (ouch)

Has anyone done this to their ACE?
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a couple of threads buried here under the Thor section where someone added a second A/C to the Vent over the bed. They just ran it outside with an extra wire to the 20amp and did not go the 50amp route. There are a couple of other posts about upgrading to 50amp.

Good luck in your search and decision making!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

In an effort to spend as much money as I can on my RV, I did this mod and it's bitchin. In Moab last week, super freaking hot out. The 2nd AC unit keeps it cool inside, just the single unit would keep it close to comfortable, but I want it cold, and I have it now.

Added a matching Mach 3 unit in the back (power saver model), draws around 10 amps at max, same or better cooling specs than the 13,500 btu unit in the front. Added the heat coil inside too so we have extra rear heat if needed. Fits well, looks right, works perfect. I wired mine completely separate so I have an extra cord to plug in at the campsite, not a big deal. I don't need to run both going down the road, so this works well for us.

I ran my power from the roof AC unit forward about 30", then went down inside the cabinets by the bathroom door and under the rig to the side compartment. I hid the power well, you can't find it if you looked.

Well worth the money in my opinion. Wifey was getting upset with the cost of this addition around $900.00, but she now sees the value on our past couple trips.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #4

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/part...-205353-2.html

post #17
Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorchini View Post
What did you do about the current a/c vents in the rear bedroom?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
I made the same change to my ACE. When both AC's were running I closed the bedroom vents so the front AC was putting all its air into the living area. When running just the front AC I would open the bedroom vents.

I also rewired for 50 amp campground supply. I ran one leg to the existing 30 amp input so the coach wiring remained unchanged. The other leg went through a new distribution/breaker box and then to an outlet in the rear compartment where the bedroom AC was plugged in. This gave me the option, when on a 30 amp hookup of running a separate extension cable from the 20 amp outlet on the post to the bedroom AC. The only thing I couldn't do, as Thorchini says, is run both AC's off the generator.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
I didn't touch the vents in th bedroom, i just close them if I'm running the rear air.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

Just got the RV back from the shop. New 15000 btu unit in the main cabin, and relocated the 13500 btu unit to the bedroom. I can hang meat in the motorhome now. The rear unit will require me to plug into the pedestal when I get to a resort. The new 15000 btu unit keeps the entire motorhome in the mid 70s in 90 degree heat outside while on the generator.

I am happy now.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
So, question...where the heck do you guys live? I could invite ya'll over who have done these upgrades for beer/wine/steaks while upgrading mine?!?!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #10

Mmmmmm. Beer. Gainesville, Georgia.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post
Mmmmmm. Beer. Gainesville, Georgia.

LOL sanford. Figures it'd be across the country. It's the main reason you guys torment me this way!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
We don't live far from Gainesville. Did the crowd in Oakwood do it for you? We would love to add another unit about way for those super hot/humid days
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner