Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 05:58 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
ACE and Front Brake Line Corrosion Failure

My ACE is four years and 6500 miles and I live 3 miles from the ocean and own several vehicles - none of my other vehicles have this problem. I had a brake live failure due to corrosion on the front driver side hard-line at both sides of the wheel well wall. The line broke at the wall feed through fitting due to heavy corrosion. The passenger side had also expected corrosion nearing failure. Ford on-line support towed my ACE 60 miles to a Ford dealer. The failure was not caused by a high pressure break but heavy corrosion and the break line pressure. All fluid drained within a few minutes giving me rear brakes only and no driving capabilities in hills or roads with many curves.

Ford did not cover replacement costs. The Ford Dealer stated that the suspected corrosion probably came during the manufacturing process from Ford or Thor due to an agent not properly cleaned from a spill on the chassis. All parts, lines and feed-through nipple, needed to be ordered from Detroit.

Check your chassis, this was a complete surprise and could have resulted in a bad mishap!
ShadowT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THANKS for sharing this safety warning!

As a side-bar...any idea what the RV builder could have spilled on BOTH breaklines to cause this corrosion? The metal in brakelines will rust...but this specifically says corrosion

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
It was stated as rust by the tech at the Ford repair center and where it was first discovered. I saw a photo before the work was done by a tech that did not do the work but discovered it at an RV repair center that does not work on engine or chassis components. It was towed from that location. If it would have been caused by the brake fluid, it would have been stated by them. Much of the areas had rust and a lead tech said that he had never seen rust like that on RVs less than 20 years old. Techs at the first location had 30 and 10 years experience with RVs.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
THANKS for sharing this safety warning!

As a side-bar...any idea what the RV builder could have spilled on BOTH breaklines to cause this corrosion? The metal in brakelines will rust...but this specifically says corrosion

Best luck
It is repaired and I'll get my ACE home tomorrow. The picture I saw showed breakage from the connecting flange on the wheel well wall inside the RV. The feed through flange had similar damage on the wheel side. The opposite front wheel had the technician worried and suggested a replacement before similar breakage.

I did not "feel" or "see" the corrosion. I helped write a book (technical manual) in the late 70's still used as a standard by the USAF and USN for corrosion repair and control. I believe rust is still a generic description of corrosion. I've written instructions for major aircraft systems in the areas of repair and corrosion for over 35 years for a major aircraft manufacturer.

I wrote this message to encourage others to look closely at their hydraulic brake lines to advert the problems I have had.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I think I discovered what happened. I purchased my motorhome from an early spring delivery in Florida. The motorhome was driven from the frigid north snowy roads. Those roads were treated with salt. Salt spray, left untreated, caused the corrosion. It just took a few years to eat through the lines. Whoever thinks of washing the under carriage down when you live in a climate that does not use salt?
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowT View Post
I think I discovered what happened. I purchased my motorhome from an early spring delivery in Florida. The motorhome was driven from the frigid north snowy roads. Those roads were treated with salt. Salt spray, left untreated, caused the corrosion. It just took a few years to eat through the lines. Whoever thinks of washing the under carriage down when you live in a climate that does not use salt?
I live in northern Ohio, we have salt on the roads 4-5 months a year. NONE of my vehicles have had anything like this, I have a car with 240,000 miles and has been through 9 Ohio winters, no brake line corossion anywhere.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
ShadowT,
you've scared a snot out of me. I have a 2013 ACE that's been through hundreds of miles of salt covered roads to and from the south in the winter from northern MI. The undercarriage shows enough rust that I'm cleaning, spraying it with zinc paint and then spraying with undercoating. Now, the brake lines! Jeez
Old 08-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #8

I just replaced all the brake lines on my Itasca due to rust from the inside out.Worse lines were the ones that crosses over from one side to the other.Both front and rear. These lines didn't show much rust on the outside but had pin holes.

I was writing Tech orders and repair manuals for the C-5a in the 70's
Old 08-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

I'd be a lot more inclined to think the corrosion was from driving in sandy areas blasting the coating off the tubing and the salty air around the ocean. The worst case of salt corrosion I ever saw was a MH that spend 6 mo/yr at ocean beaches in FL.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:54 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too am having all my steel brakelines replaced because of rust. It is a 2010 Tiffin. Last year I had the 2 front lines replaced and just this week the line going to the rear was leaking... 1200 dollars to have them all replaced. Good motorhome but the quality of the brake lines just plain suck... I grew up in northern michigan and can never remember anyone having to replace brakelines on there vehicles...
Rikmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #11

I can remember doing it in upstate NY. The last time was a 10 year old van about 10 years ago.

The real question is why blame Tiffin, or any MH manufacturer, for a Ford supplied part. The only place they should be messing with brake lines is where they change the wheel base. Otherwise it sounds to me like another case of breaking in a new, probably Chinese, supplier of a standard part we figured out years ago.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Totally agree. Not tiffin problem its ford issue
Rikmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, brake