Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
ACE Drop-Down Bunk Ladder and Guard

I apologize if this has been covered before. I searched this forum and didn't see anything, so here goes...

In anticipation of taking the grandchildren (AKA "little darlings" or LDs) on camping trips, I'm assuming it would be fun for them to sleep up in the drop-down bunk. So, I'm looking for a suitable ladder and guard so they can get up and not roll out.

I measure the height of the lip of the bunk at 60", so I assume I need a 66" ladder. Camping World sells this one: Stromberg-Carlson Bunk Ladder. Amazon sells one that is cheaper and, with my prime membership, comes with free shipping: Surco Bunk Ladder. Any thoughts on this? Any better options?

Then, once they're up, the challenge is to keep them there. (In the old days, we just let kids roll out of bunk beds and split their heads open like God intended. Nowadays, though, we have to be more cautious.) I've thought of using something like this: Crib Bed Rail. It comes in different widths, so I'll need to think about the arrangement. In any event, though, same questions: any thoughts? any better options?

Finally, it looks like the bunk is too flush with the roof to store all this on the bunk in the up position. Right? But I also assume I can store it behind the scissors couch, so I should be OK.

Thanks for the help,
Skip

SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I bought this ladder. Removed the bottom end caps and cut off the bottom length to suit our taste then re-installed the caps. It supports greater than 300 pounds and it is heavy duty -- not just made for kids. I store it in the back end of our RV when not in use.

INREDA Ladder - IKEA

If they are really small use the converted table bed or jackknife couch.

For two adults people, use a support "T" brace under center of the bunk to the floor as explained in the forum. The bed max weight is a bit limited some say less than 250; it works with greater than 300 with the brace "T" to the floor.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Our granddaughter just turned 5 and she has no problem getting up to the bunk without a ladder. She steps on the dinette bench, uses the platform shelf there and up she goes. We taught her to lay on her stomach and come down the same way. Of course she
doesn 't do this without one of us there. As to a guard rail, we are still working on that one. So far she hasn't slept up there, just uses it as her special place and to watch TV.
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #4

let them sleep with the feet (or head) towards the back of the MH... can't roll off the bunks that way (unless they are restless sleepers). If they fall off, it wont happen the 2nd time.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Then, once they're up, the challenge is to keep them there. (In the old days, we just let kids roll out of bunk beds and split their heads open like God intended. Nowadays, though, we have to be more cautious.) I've thought of using something like this: Crib Bed Rail. It comes in different widths, so I'll need to think about the arrangement. In any event, though, same questions: any thoughts? any better options?

Finally, it looks like the bunk is too flush with the roof to store all this on the bunk in the up position. Right? But I also assume I can store it behind the scissors couch, so I should be OK.

Thanks for the help,
Skip[/QUOTE]

We bought this same Crib Rail at Wally World for our grandchildren. Worked great. You don't need it cover the entire width of the bunk. We left some space on the left side to facilitate climbing up on the dinette seat, then the shelf above the dinette seat, then on to the bunk as described above. We didn't feel the need for a ladder. We store the crib rail under the couch. There is no extra room to store anything on top of the bunks when retracted. Have fun with the grandkids, we sure do!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #6

We use the bed rail as well and the kids climb up from the dinette table. A ladder will just end up being a play toy and something they would jump from to the couch or the dinette. Well my kids would anyway..
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #7

I was speaking with a Thor factory rep this weekend at the Atlantic City RV show and he said that while the bed is rated at 250 lbs, that is a conservative rating and it will hold much more than that. I recall a previous post where someone had 400 lbs on the bed with no problem.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #8

We use a piece of 1/4 plywood that fits snug between the mattress and the bed. I cut it about 4 feet long and about 10" tall. Nothin fancy here. Haven't had anyone fall out yet.

When done, it is thin enough to place under mattress for storage.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 AM   #9

We use a fold out step latter that has a platform I also use it to clean camper it stors in bottom storage.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
bed rail

My 6 year old daughter is the size of most 4 year olds and has no problem with getting in and out of the bunk in our Ace 30.1

We have a one sided bed rail that tucks under the mattress perfectly and stores under the couch for travelling. Many bed rails have a T connector style that gets in the way since they are designed to go on the outside of a mattress. This one has a rounded edge since it is metal tubing bent 90 degrees to hold up the rail then go under the edge of the mattress

I tried to find a picture online of the rail but wasn't successful.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Surco ladder...

Just as a follow-up to the the thread that I started several months ago, I ended up getting the Surco 502B 66" ladder, with 1" clips, from amazon.com. We went on a camping trip with our 6-year-old granddaughter last weekend, and it worked like a charm: very easy for her to get in and out of the drop-down bunk. She didn't sleep up there (because she is, according to her own assessment, a very "rolly" kind of person) (where do kids get such ideas?), but used the drop-down bunk as her private play area, with her dolls and books. Next step is the bed board (or something) to mitigate her rolly tendencies.

Incidentally, I still haven't run 12-volts up to that area, but she used one of these Harbor Freight LED lights and it worked fine.

Skip

SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote