Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

ACE front side window rattle...

Anyone come up with a DIY fix for those front windows that rattle and make noise in a crosswind?
Heading to Blackhills this May. I'm sure the wind will be blowin in the prairie.
Tv Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Absolutely we have that problem. I used some silicone clear gel between the glass and the frame. You need to cut between the glass and the silicone after drying to enable the window to open again (only a 1-inch strip between the top and bottom). As weather warms, I'll open the window and let dry a thin strip applied to the rubber seal to keep pressure on the window when closed to lessen the rattle.
ShadowT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #3

I have noticed that the driver side window rattles around 70mph consistently when i am driving in open air (nobody around).

When i get passed by large trucks, the window rattles at any speed.

I have used some moleskin strips in the window frame to try and stabilize the rattle, but it doesn't work very well.

I think I'll give the silicone bead a try. If it sucks, I'll scrape it out try something else. It is annoying to say the least.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #4

I took the screens out of both front windows. ( they obstructed the view too much ) That helped a bit, but a cross wind will still get one howling.
Tv Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Add a few beads with clear silicone. My rattles is gone! When I open the window, the beads are on the glass pane. When I close the window, enough pressure is applied to the frame to eliminate the rattle between the glass and frame.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowT View Post
Add a few beads with clear silicone. My rattles is gone! When I open the window, the beads are on the glass pane. When I close the window, enough pressure is applied to the frame to eliminate the rattle between the glass and frame.

Are you adding the silicone along the window when closed? Or are you opening up the window, laying down a bead, letting it dry and then closing the window onto a dried up bead of silicone?
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I added the beads to an opened window and let it almost dry, then closed it. I waited several days and thought I'd need to cut the beads free. but the window slid open with a little gentle force. The beads stuck to the edge of the glass (facing outward). I used the outside edge to apply the silicone - about 4 beads 1/2-inch each --let dry tacky before closing (clear silicone).
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, nice work yall. Was going to call Thor and raise hell about this, it absolutely drives me crazy. Good to hear I am not the only one with this issue.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window