Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

ACE full-timers -- clothes storage?

Thinking seriously of an ACE for full-timing but am a bit concerned about the amount of storage for clothing. The 29.2 is the model we'd want as it has the mega-storage garage for our bicycles, but it seems very slim on clothing storage/wardrobe area. Because we are very active, we need room for fitness wear/bike clothing as well as "regular" clothes, and although we'd avoid very cold areas, we would need at least cool-weather through hot-weather wear.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!
TarheelGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

We are not full timers but there's plenty of storage in the ace that you would have to be creative with. Such as under the couch, under the Dinette benches, Under the bed, over the bed. It's our first motorhome so we don't have anything to compare it to but it seems ample for us and 2 kids.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been full timing in a 29.1 for a year now. We use the bedroom closets for the clothes we are currently wearing, depending on season. I put a center shelf across the above-bed cabinets and found plastic tubs that fit perfectly with no wasted space. We also put plastic drawer tubs on the shelves beside the bed. Our other 3 seasons of clothes are in Rubbermaid containers in the mega storage. The under dinette storage is used for dry food.

(Personal opinion warning ON): Using the mega storage for bicycles is a colossal waste of valuable space in my opinion. What is wrong with a tow bar mounted bike rack?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Cn't help with the Ace, get creative as mentioned above. Just think "out of the house" so to speak. Welcome to the forum, I assume your screen name refers to N.C. We're from W-S, NC.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
(Personal opinion warning ON): Using the mega storage for bicycles is a colossal waste of valuable space in my opinion. What is wrong with a tow bar mounted bike rack?
Well, the DH doesn't really like that idea for a couple of reasons. First, we are talking about four bikes (2 mountain, 2 road) and second, these are not Wal-Mart special bikes. We're pretty serious cyclists and would be very unhappy if our bikes got stolen, so storing them inside is partly for security. But we may decide that we have to store them outside if we need the mega-storage for other things and if we could find a way to safely and securely carry four bikes on the back.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

I have a 4 bike rack on my hitch for my ACE 29.2 and I run a cable through them all to lock them up to the motorhome. They could still be stolen i'm sure with enough time and equipment but not worth worrying about. I bought one of those dual receiver inserts so that I can still tow my toad with the bikes as well. Just somthing to think about as you can secure the bikes to the bike rack and motorhome.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelGal View Post
Well, the DH doesn't really like that idea for a couple of reasons. First, we are talking about four bikes (2 mountain, 2 road) and second, these are not Wal-Mart special bikes. We're pretty serious cyclists and would be very unhappy if our bikes got stolen, so storing them inside is partly for security. But we may decide that we have to store them outside if we need the mega-storage for other things and if we could find a way to safely and securely carry four bikes on the back.

Thanks!
While we don't full time, we are currently doing a 3 month trip -2 humans and 2 dogs. We purchased the 29.2 for the mega storage for our bikes for the same reasons you state. In the mega storage we mounted fork mount bike racks for 4 bikes (2 road and 2 mountain). Also in the mega storage we carry an inflatable Sea Eagle kayak, backpacks, bike pump, helments and shoes, 2 folding dog crates, a winegard carryout satellite, and various other smaller items. As far as inside storage for clothes - while we are a little limited in what we take it has not been a problem. The storage in the bedroom is adequate for enough cycling, running, general wear clothes for at least a week (we just do laundry once a week like at home) and in our case 3 seasons. As others stated under the dinette seats there is some room but we keep that to lighter weight stuff.

We tow a Jeep so there is some room in there - we carry golf clubs and a hitch mount bike rack but it could be tubs with clothes, etc.

I would say with a little creativity it is doable. And we love the ACE
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee79 View Post
I have a 4 bike rack on my hitch for my ACE 29.2 and I run a cable through them all to lock them up to the motorhome. They could still be stolen i'm sure with enough time and equipment but not worth worrying about. I bought one of those dual receiver inserts so that I can still tow my toad with the bikes as well. Just somthing to think about as you can secure the bikes to the bike rack and motorhome.
Good to know. The other thing I forgot to mention is that storing the bikes in the mega-storage, they aren't subject to rain, road dirt/debris, sand, etc. I know it may seem like we're a bit fanatical about our bikes, but well, we are. If it doesn't work out in the mega-storage, at least we know we have another option!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek5 View Post
While we don't full time, we are currently doing a 3 month trip -2 humans and 2 dogs. We purchased the 29.2 for the mega storage for our bikes for the same reasons you state. In the mega storage we mounted fork mount bike racks for 4 bikes (2 road and 2 mountain). Also in the mega storage we carry an inflatable Sea Eagle kayak, backpacks, bike pump, helments and shoes, 2 folding dog crates, a winegard carryout satellite, and various other smaller items. As far as inside storage for clothes - while we are a little limited in what we take it has not been a problem. The storage in the bedroom is adequate for enough cycling, running, general wear clothes for at least a week (we just do laundry once a week like at home) and in our case 3 seasons. As others stated under the dinette seats there is some room but we keep that to lighter weight stuff.

We tow a Jeep so there is some room in there - we carry golf clubs and a hitch mount bike rack but it could be tubs with clothes, etc.

I would say with a little creativity it is doable. And we love the ACE
Excellent! Sounds like you are similar to us in interests/hobbies, and it's good to know that you successfully carry all that in the mega-storage. That's kinda what we're thinking off (right down to the kayak). I'm sure we can figure out a way to get enough clothing storage. And we'll also be towing a small car, so that will provide some additional storage for us.

Thanks Trek5 (we have two Trek bikes ourselves!)
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #10

Have you considered the "space bags"? This has been talked about before but I didn't follow the thread. Now that we are fulltime I wished I had.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Have you considered the "space bags"? This has been talked about before but I didn't follow the thread. Now that we are fulltime I wished I had.
Here's a couple of links from previous threads.
Space bags - Google Search
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used space bags for years when we traveled on cruises. Allowed us to use less suitcases.
Still took too many clothes but it did take up less room. I would recommend them. The area under the couch would be a perfect area for these space saving bags for out of season clothes etc.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Good idea! But you do have to have a vacuum to suck the air out. We actually have a bunch of our off-season clothes stored in space bags at my mother's at the moment since we're living in a warm-weather climate right now.

So, that brings up another point: do most of you have a vacuum cleaner on your ACE? I was thinking a broom and hand-vac would be adequate.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have one of the small canister type dirt devil vacuum that has a hose and attachments. It fits in the storgage compartment by the door and still leaves room for shoes etc.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage