Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #701

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post

I would rather buy an ACE with the generator up front and a bigger trunk than have a generator located in the back blowing exhaust into the patio area and loose the extra storage space.
Dego...
According to the current owner, he didn't want to do the relocation for the very same reasons. Why give up whatcha got in storage?! To him, that was a an item that made the sale. Obviously, the push pump has not been done on this unit.
I can not begin to tell you how much better I feel about going forward on the purchase knowing you guys are out there. Believe me, I am keeping this post in the forefront and your feedback is so important.

Lisa,
Again, thank you for your response. As I said before, with this post alone ongoing for 2 years, prompted the question about who put up the $$ for changes/updates, when generally that time period would have expired most warranties.

I was a bit concerned, initially, of stirring the hornets nest by posting questions. Thanks everyone...this forum ROCKS ! ! !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
It is NOT the generator running out of fuel. At least not on our ACE. It is my understanding the generator will not run if there is 1/4 or less of gas, this is a "failsafe" so you will not run out of gas on the road. (someone please correct me if this is not correct) Prior to having all the fixes done on the generator it would stop with a full tank!
Ours was resolved with the fixes I have discussed previously. After the push pump was put in, my partner made a long trip to California. She started in Southern Arizona in August, drove through Blythe, Southern California and up to the San Francisco area. Not once did the generator stop. This trip was made in the hot Arizona summer.
We had this problem in Homestead FL last November. I can assure you the fuel level in the tank is not the problem. When we go into a NASCAR race we know we'll be in a field for 4 days, so we always go in with the gasoline tank full. It still shutdown on us continually...
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Dale View Post
Dego...
According to the current owner, he didn't want to do the relocation for the very same reasons. Why give up whatcha got in storage?! To him, that was a an item that made the sale. Obviously, the push pump has not been done on this unit.
I can not begin to tell you how much better I feel about going forward on the purchase knowing you guys are out there. Believe me, I am keeping this post in the forefront!
I did have Thor do the mod to my Ace 29.2. Moved the generator and swapped with the propane tank. I didn't loose any storage space, just swapped compartments. So far so good. They did not route the exhaust into my sitting area like they did on some. They must have had complaints already before i got their. Mine routes out the back of my Ace. Sure, i can hear the geny if im trying to sleep when kids are playing PS3 on tv, but it is less noisy when driving when kids want to use tv, which would happen more. Season is just starting, o we will see, but i think everthing is good to go, not just going to do the cheap mod on the suspension i've read about and off to test her out.

Enjoy, i love the layout. I just wish Thor thought things thru a little more before making these beasts. Maybe they would cost less with a little more research and developement.
mherb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #704

Can anyone that has installed the push pump give specifics? Like model of pump, mounting location, wiring, etc. this would be very helpful. Thanks all!
docg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #705

Fleetwood Owners Club
doc, look back a few pages, my guess around page 40 +/-. I put the link up for the pump. Also, there is a factory joint in the fuel line, just above the rear axle. This is where we have all been mounting the pump. The pump I linked comes with a bracket, I screwed it to the subfloor, outside the the C channel to add seperation from heat.

Hope this helps, once you get under there, you will see. My pump is basically mounted just above mud flap.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #706

DegoRed,

How did you wire it? It is unclear which pump you used, I noted a few mentioned on the previous pages.

Thanks
docg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #707

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscarp View Post
I have had my unit in for the generator cutting out as well. The lastest story from Thor(I have been in direct contact with them)is they are fabricated a new door with vents. The feel it may not have enough airflow. Also they are going to wrap the fuel line, in case the heat is creating vapor lock. If this solves the problem(hopefully), then they have a major design flaw in the unit. I have also spoken with Cummins. They have specs regarding the ambient temp/inlet temp differences.

I won't have the unit back for at least a week. Will see then if it fixes the problem. If not , I will get an attorney. Lemon law time.
Hi there. How did your problem get resolved? I am in the middle of it all right now, have filed a lemon law arbitration. Would love to know now your problem got solved.
lindamayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #708

Thor Owners Club
Thor moved ours but put it on the opposite side, not the same side. Put it in what used to be a storage area....nightmare. At least if the had put it where the propane tank is, those things would be on one side...at this point, I don't know what to do.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 AM   #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherb24 View Post
I did have Thor do the mod to my Ace 29.2. Moved the generator and swapped with the propane tank. I didn't loose any storage space, just swapped compartments. So far so good. They did not route the exhaust into my sitting area like they did on some. They must have had complaints already before i got their. Mine routes out the back of my Ace.
+1 . I've been very happy with the relocation. Overall less generator noise, better side to side weight distribution, no loss of storage space, and no genset overheating.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordturbo View Post
I used the car audio wrap . . . DYNAMAT. They have different kinds of insulation you can use. The more sound killing power, the higher the price!

Thanks buddy! I may skip that for now if this push pump works without the dynamat! Have fun out there!
cousnmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #711

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk-pair View Post
The only specific information I have is the commentary (notes) on the schematic. There's a "GEN" box indicated at the driver's rear of the coach and an associated note (6) that says: "Moved GEN to rear of unit" dated 11/13/12. Two additional notes: (7) says "Move slide control to trunk", and (8) says "Added receptacle for exterior entertainment system option".

I posted originally hoping someone might have the latest edition of the 29.2 with a generator mounted in the rear (if this drawing is correct) that could supply us with pictures of how it's actually installed.

If it has indeed been moved to the rear, there's clearly impact to the mega-storage space because that's the only "rear" available.
They have moved mine to the tiny storage area just in front of mega storage. Terrible noise, vibration, and still in shop going on 7 months
Old 04-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #712

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Spoke to Scott Harris today. He was very cordial and was very sensitive to my situation. I reminded him of the conversations we had last summer when I was on vacation driving around with no AC in my coach and how pissed off I was the whole time.

Scott told me that the main engineer who worked on this was out today, but would be back tomorrow. Told him at a min, I wanted a vented door sent to me. Scott informed me that they really did not have any, that internally, they came to the conclusion that the vented door did nothing. While I don't completely agree with this conclusion, I do see how a vented door MAY not help a bunch.

Scott said the latest theory they had was adding an oil cooler. I told him that I had that same idea a year ago, see my post #124 on this thread.

Either way, Scott said they could do nothing until the tomorrow when their engineer was back.

SSCARP, I did mention to Scott that if Thor did not make this right for me ASAP, I would sue Thor. Unfortunately, I spend about $400K a year in various litigation, so dropping a suit on Thor would take very little effort on my part. The key for us, and I am not 100% sure on this, need to look it up, but I think we need a minimum of 7 people to classify for a class action suit. It would probably cost about $2K to get everything filed, once filled, Thor would have to deal with this, as there is no legitimate defense that I can see for this issue.
I'm on board for class action suit. What is you all's status
Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #713

Thor Owners Club
Thumbs up Class action suit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post
DegoRed, if you are taking name for a legal action put me down. Another couple of hundred to acheive a fix and if we win don't we get our legal back.
Add me. Linda Robinson
Old 04-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #714

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post
I hope that there would be another solution to using the Mega storage compartment. It was a major factor in our purchasing the ACE 29.1. DH has MS and this storage area holds his mobility devices that allow us to use the motorhome. On the passenger side is his scooter and on the other side various items he uses so he can do the tasks necessary, himself. Cutting out the drivers side storage door opening and the space would not allow us the easily accessible space we need.
I'm glad that the powers that be are finally (we can only hope) going to correct this problem.
Lisa, your call and follow up along with everyone else may get all of us a solution that WORKS.
They put my generator in the small compartment on passenger side. Still don't have our unit but the noise is amazingly loud and the floor vibrates. I have read one post #249, of a person that has a 2014 with gen in the back and it is also failing....OMG

Tags
generator