Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #799

Just drove 4 hours in temp between 95-101 on dash display, my generator didn't miss a beat! Still not sure why I'm so lucky and have never had it shut down?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
Just drove 4 hours in temp between 95-101 on dash display, my generator didn't miss a beat! Still not sure why I'm so lucky and have never had it shut down?
Mine only shuts down in heavy traffic at those temps or when i'm climbing grades, or the engine is working hard for whatever reason. On flat road on the highway mine runs in those temps and doesn't miss a beat.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #801

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iker211 View Post
What is a push pump?

How hard is it to install a push pump.

Any photos?

A "push pump" is an additional electric fuel pump installed back near the fuel tank to supply a consistent flow of fuel to the generator and prevent the vapor lock. You can see the pictures in Randog's post on this thread #565-567 (pg 41). The installation is not too difficult but does requires the mechanical installation as well as some wiring.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #802

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by millwind View Post
Oh, on the contrary, IMO you should be congratulated.
Sometimes you just have to know when to fold 'em and cut your losses.
Many of us are getting a bit long in the tooth & wasting time on fix-ups is a zero sum game.

Good going in the heads-up too! It's a BLUE ACE.

Wish you the best with your HR

Wow.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #803

We are thinking of adding a fan to help circulate the air near the generator. I think someone has done that already; however, I can't find the post on this. Has anyone done it? If so, could you post pictures and explain how you installed? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
We are thinking of adding a fan to help circulate the air near the generator. I think someone has done that already; however, I can't find the post on this. Has anyone done it? If so, could you post pictures and explain how you installed? Thanks.
I added a blower to mine. I don't have pictures, but will take some next time I pull it out of storage. I added a boat bilge blower, they move a lot of air.

I ran a 3" black PVC pipe (bought this all from Home Depot) under the front edge of the generator as close to the outer door as possible and put a bunch of 1/2" holes in teh top to direc tthe air up towards the front od the generator. I extended that pipe to teh front of the RV grill area where I have the in line blower. It runs when the push pump is on. This simple system really works well, it get a lot of cool fresh air from the front to the generator compartment. Before you could not touch the opening latches on teh genny they were so hot, now it's not a problem, much, much cooler. When you think about it, I'm forcing cooler outside air into the genny area without cutting a hole in my outer door. It was easy to do, and it's completely hidden unless you look for it. You see the 3' Black PVC pipe when you open the Genny door, but that's it.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorchini View Post
I added a blower to mine. I don't have pictures, but will take some next time I pull it out of storage. I added a boat bilge blower, they move a lot of air.

I ran a 3" black PVC pipe (bought this all from Home Depot) under the front edge of the generator as close to the outer door as possible and put a bunch of 1/2" holes in teh top to direc tthe air up towards the front od the generator. I extended that pipe to teh front of the RV grill area where I have the in line blower. It runs when the push pump is on. This simple system really works well, it get a lot of cool fresh air from the front to the generator compartment. Before you could not touch the opening latches on teh genny they were so hot, now it's not a problem, much, much cooler. When you think about it, I'm forcing cooler outside air into the genny area without cutting a hole in my outer door. It was easy to do, and it's completely hidden unless you look for it. You see the 3' Black PVC pipe when you open the Genny door, but that's it.
Thanks, Lazydays didn't install an electronic push pump, just a manual one. We should still be able to get yours to work.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #806

Tiffin Owners Club
I would love to see pictures of the pipe/blower installation, too.

I am very interested in this too. I HAVE to do something to utilize the gen set in hot temperatures and I have mixed feelings about installing a push pump. Coming back from Oregon with 115 degrees in Needles Ca, the dash air just didn't cut it.

Did the vented door do anything at all Lisa?
Old 10-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #807

We didn't add a fan. Based on some information from forum member Newmar94 we added what he called a "horn" instead. Ours doesn't quite look like the ones that Fleetwood has been adding, but should work the same. The idea is to make sure you are bringing the outside air into the genset from the side of the RV, not from underneath where the hot engine and genset exhaust air is. Looks like what lazydays did for us will work, hopefully the pictures are fairly self-explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator-horn1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	76358   Click image for larger version

Name:	generator-horn-2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	76359  

Click image for larger version

Name:	generator-horn3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	76360  
Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #808

Thor Owners Club
Thor ACE generator code 36

I've been following this thread since July, when I purchased a new 2014 Thor A.C.E. 30.1, and began almost immediately experiencing the generator issues. I've been in communication with Thor's Warranty Services since August 2nd. My coach has been in the shop since August 23 (6 weeks), for the generator issues, slide out issues, awning problems, and 14 more issues, most minor. Just want to let everyone know that Thor is covering all of the following repairs/modifications to my ACE:
- electric push pump with dash switch
- cut generator bay door and added vent with seal at generator air intake
- heat shield around full perimeter of generator bay
- heat shield around fuel line from tank to generator

These are all modifications that I read about in these forums, on this thread. Regardless of the model (29.2; 30.1, etc.), Thor is more than aware of the issue, but hasn't, in 3 model years, made any design changes. DON'T make these repairs at your own expense. Thor can and will pay for them. Don't have my coach back as of now, so not sure of whether the mods will work, but based on what I've read here, they should. Unfortunately, I had to point my Warranty Rep to this forum to explain what I was describing as my desired fix. Many thanks to all those who posted their successful mods so that we "newbies" (to ACE, anyway) could follow suit.
rvpapaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #809

Thor Owners Club
One more thought; a Thor dealer told me that production on ACE 30.1 models was stopped in August/September due to all the slide out and generator issues. Not sure how factual that is, but they're few and far between if you're looking. Also, note that the generator location has been moved toward the rear of the coach on the new 29.3 model.
rvpapaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #810

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpapaw View Post
One more thought; a Thor dealer told me that production on ACE 30.1 models was stopped in August/September due to all the slide out and generator issues. Not sure how factual that is, but they're few and far between if you're looking. Also, note that the generator location has been moved toward the rear of the coach on the new 29.3 model.
The 2014 29.2 has the gen in the rear left lower compartment. I'm suprised the 30.1 still had it farther upstream.

No problems so far except it takes a lot of cranking to get it to start if it's been awhile.

I noticed on the gen buttons, on the engine, holding the stop button primes the line. Does that also work holding the stop button IN the coach?
Old 10-12-2014, 02:44 AM   #811

Yes

Sent from my iPhone
Old 10-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #812

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpapaw View Post
- electric push pump with dash switch
- cut generator bay door and added vent with seal at generator air intake
- heat shield around full perimeter of generator bay
- heat shield around fuel line from tank to generator

These are all modifications that I read about in these forums, on this thread. Regardless of the model (29.2; 30.1, etc.), Thor is more than aware of the issue, but hasn't, in 3 model years, made any design changes. DON'T make these repairs at your own expense. Thor can and will pay for them. .
The comment that Thor will and can pay for these fixes is NOT true. At least not in my case. When I contacted Thor, I was IMMEDIATELY told (as if it was all scripted) that there was nothing they could or would do and that it was an Onan problem. So, what would that lead me to believe? I continue to monitor this thread, continue to loose respect for Thor and their customer service and support of their product. I am quite sure that you are covered due to your warranty. Unfortunately in my case, the previous owner did what they could to pursue and resolve this issue with Thor, and did the fixes as recommended at the time (heat shields on fuel lines only at the time). By the time I purchased my 29.2, the issue had been discussed for MONTHS by the previous owners with no further offerings from Thor and went on long enough to push the unit out of it's manufacturing warranty. Now, as the new owner, I am left with the pitfall that Thor created and no recourse to pursue them to fix it under its original warranty. WELL PLAYED THOR!
(Am I pissed? Yeah, just a tad!!)

Tags
generator