Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #1

ACE macerator question

We're close to trading our beloved Roadtrek RS Adventurous with it's excellent mileage but cramped quarters for an ACE 29.2. Because of the Roadtrek, I have years of experience dealing with a macerator. In a Roadtrek, the activation button is located beneath the drivers seat, so it's accessible from both inside and outside the rig. The ACE however, places the button in an exterior compartment, accessible from outside only. My family of four exclusively uses the motorhome facilities and I'm NOT going to walk outside to push a button and activate the macerator to drain a gray tank. I'm thinking I'll either have to fabricate a gray tank macerator bypass or run a second switch up into the coach. How are all of you 29.2 owners dealing with the macerator? Unfortunately, I'm somewhat of an expert at Roadtrek sewage systems as the hose, macerator and sewer valves all chose different years to fail and thus I've crawled underneath my Sprinter more times than I can count. Thanks in advance for any input.

BakoJoe
BakoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #2

The macerator system on the ACE 29.2 was put on coach more out of necessity rather than convenience. Both the Black and Grey tanks are on the passenger side of the coach. The macerator is used as a pump to move the waste to the drivers side. Because of the floorplan, the 29.2 is the only ACE unit with the macerator system. There is an access panel to allow the traditional method of dumping via the passenger side (although I don't recommend it).

Fortunately, the 29.2 has a 44 gallon grey water tank. The kitchen and shower dump into the grey water tank while the black is from the bathroom sink, and of course the toilet.

My suggestion is to wire up your own switch inside the coach if you feel it necessary. A by-pass would require some creative plumbing. As an FYI, the grey tank is difficult to get completely empty without raising the drivers side.

Sure you've probably already read the thread, but make sure there is a 20amp fuse for the macerator system. Several people have complained about blowing fuses. Ours came with the 20 amp fuse and we've had ZERO issues.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

I bought a cap that replaces the sewer out, I think it's the 4" twist lock. It has a garden hose connector on it. I connect a 15' green hose from there to the sewer. Thsi gets us by while parked for a few days, and when we are ready to leave, i just put the original cap on and dump using the maciator before we leave for both tanks. Without this setup, I would have to dump the Gray tank every day. It's simple, fairly clean and easy to do.

We were camping this weekend, and I was next to a guy who also had a 29.2, he fabricated a 4" piece of PVC that runs under his from passenger to driver side, so he is fully connected when parked, and it stores under his coach when not in use. He no longer uses the maciator. He also replaced his tank pulls with electric ones, and has a switch on the dash for easy emptying. I liked his setup and should have taken a picture of it.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #4

I just leave the gray tank valve open and it will slowly drain through the macerator. Usually the night before we plan to check out I'll close it so I have some gray water to flush out the hose after dumping the black tank.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
I just leave the gray tank valve open and it will slowly drain through the macerator. Usually the night before we plan to check out I'll close it so I have some gray water to flush out the hose after dumping the black tank.
That's good info, I wonder if there is any downside to doing this, such as ill effects to the macerator.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee79 View Post
That's good info, I wonder if there is any downside to doing this, such as ill effects to the macerator.
The only thing I could think of would be plugging up the macerator with hair or debri from washing dishes. But so far we haven't had any issues.