RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

ACE one year later

We took delivery of our 2013 ACE 29.2 on 5-2-12, so I'm right on the cusp of having my factory warranty expire. We just returned from our 15th trip in the ACE, and other than a few initial teething problems our unit has been trouble free. The only (possibly) unresolved issue is the genset overheating in extremely hot weather. We'll have to get further into summer before I'm convinced that the heat shield and fuel line wrap have cured that issue. For me, the acid test of any purchase is whether I'd make the same decision again, given the benefit of hindsight. In our case, we'd buy another ACE without hesitation. For our first motorized RV we've been very happy with the ACE.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #2

I'll second those thoughts. We are approaching our one year anniversary and the only issue is the generator issue for us. We have had the fuel line wrap and shield installed so we will find out this summer. For a first motor home we are very satisfied. These are nice motor homes with nice features and space.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would agree as well. We just took ours in for our 1 year fix all. We ended up with $3,000 worth of work that was done. We took it to a non-Thor repair facility. Thor worked with the repair shop, got everything fixed and was very helpful.

I too still in the back of my mind worry about the generator issue, but not so much now that I have a better understanding of the issue.

Can say without a doubt, that we would buy another ACE with zero reservations.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We would definitely buy another ACE and our anniversary was in February. We had the generator overheat one time during the summer, but the altitude was set wrong (sea level when we were in the Colorado mountains over 7,000 feet). Keep us informed on your results with the heat shield.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
We would definitely buy another ACE and our anniversary was in February. We had the generator overheat one time during the summer, but the altitude was set wrong (sea level when we were in the Colorado mountains over 7,000 feet). Keep us informed on your results with the heat shield.
Did you reset the altitude or the service center. I need to check mine out because it was having problems last year and I am in Colorado also.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The altitude adjustment is easy to reset on the generator. It should be a slide marked with numbers right inside the cover of the genny. There is a good description of how to reset it in the generator Owners Manual in chapter 2 page 4. I think the link to the manual is still up in the stickie "manuals" area here at the forum.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
The altitude adjustment is easy to reset on the generator. It should be a slide marked with numbers right inside the cover of the genny. There is a good description of how to reset it in the generator Owners Manual in chapter 2 page 4. I think the link to the manual is still up in the stickie "manuals" area here at the forum.
Thanks a lot. When I get home I will knock that issue out. So far my list before my yellowstone trip in June is...CHF...5 star tune.....reset levelers...Velcro on the windows..and put a good wax on...
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #8

I'm happy with the ACE for what it is. I have done a lot to it and it's not perfect, but then again, it's not a 300K rig either. It works for us. The Generator is my only sticking point, still unsure how that will perform in the heat this summer. I get a lot of compliments on this thing, even from the guys with the super expensive rigs. The guy parked next to me in Moab last week loved the color combo and graphics design so well, he took a bunch of photos and may consider the same or similar layout on his new Newell 45' rig that will be built this fall. I gave him the paint codes also. For those that don't know, the Newells start at 4Mil and run up to 6Mil. That blows my mind. For what I paid, I like the ACE, the family likes it too.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
We love our 29.2 also. As with many of you, we've had issues and Thor took care of them. Some nagging questions such as generator overheating & macerator impeller failure (happened once) travel with us. That reminds me that I should carry a spare impeller. HaRVey drives so well that DW drives it about half the time--and we are drivers, not campers in that we only stay 3-4 days in a spot. We would buy one again.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Joe View Post
We love our 29.2 also. As with many of you, we've had issues and Thor took care of them. Some nagging questions such as generator overheating & macerator impeller failure (happened once) travel with us. That reminds me that I should carry a spare impeller. HaRVey drives so well that DW drives it about half the time--and we are drivers, not campers in that we only stay 3-4 days in a spot. We would buy one again.
I bought an extra water pump and macerator and keep them in a storage bay incase I would ever need them when out in the middel of a trip. Now that I have them, I'm sure I'll never need them... I also bought the standard issue tank drain slinkey for just incase.

I think for a light 30' motorhome, it drives very well. If you have never driven a motorhome or large commercial truck before, it is a real eye opener. My buddy put the Sate-T-Plus on his older Pace Arrow, and man, what a difference it seemed to make on his. I may put one on mine just to get the added stability benifit.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Same here...

It will be one year next month, but our sentiments are the same as those expressed above. A few little nits with the unit, nothing major, all handled to our satisfaction. Overall, we really love the unit, would definitely buy another Thor, and can hardly wait to start doing some extended trips.

Incidentally, Thor must be doing something right: they just had their best quarter ever. "Motorized RV sales in the third quarter increased 47.8% to $187.2 million from $126.7 million in the same quarter a year ago." From RV News Service.

Skip

SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote